Tikka T3 .223 and 5.56 compatability

35WD

I am aware of the issues shooting 5.56 in a dedicated .223 chamber. Ruger, in some of their materials, claim their .223 will shoot 5.56. I have shot 5.56 out of the Ruger but maybe I am taking chances. What say you?

I am now looking at a few Tikka ads, specifically on Buds Gun Shop, and they list the Tikka T3 light stainless as .223/5.56. Is that a statement by Tikka that you can shoot both in the T3 light (and I am assuming they also mean the varmint and super varmint models as well)?

The info that I've always used is this. If a weapon is stamped .223 only. Ask if the chamber has been been cut for the WYLDE throat. If so then the weapon should be safe to fire military ammo, 5.56 NATO.

If not known to have the Wylde throat, you should only shoot .223 Remington.

Next if buying a weapon in 223 caliber see that it is stamped .223/5.56 NATO. Then you know that it is safe to shoot commericial and military types of ammo.

The Wylde throat is a ,223 chamber that has the throat bored about a 1/16" longer to fit the military cartridges.

Some ammo from allied nations has been known to have very healthy powder charges and have created critical detonations is earlier M16A2 rifle.

It's your rifle and your face. Just some thoughtfull info, so someone isn't hurt with an unneccesary detonation.

Merry Christmas to All this Holiday Season.

I'm well aware of the slight pressure differences and issues with case wall thicknesses, but I've shot limited amounts of 5.56 ammo in a Tikka 595 and various other 223's over the years with zero problems. It's not normally something I have a desire to do only because the military 5.56 fmj loads aren't really worth a darn for hunting and they normally aren't loaded to match level standards. I'd watch the cases for any problem signs, but I wouldn't be a bit afraid to fire 5.56 in the T3.

Originally Posted By: cdatdogThe info that I've always used is this. If a weapon rifle is stamped .223 only. Ask if the chamber has been been cut for the WYLDE throat. If so then the weapon rifle should be safe to fire military ammo, 5.56 NATO.

If not known to have the Wylde throat, you should only shoot .223 Remington.

Next if buying a weapon rifle in 223 caliber see that it is stamped .223/5.56 NATO. Then you know that it is safe to shoot commericial and military types of ammo.

The Wylde throat is a ,223 chamber that has the throat bored about a 1/16" longer to fit the military cartridges.

Some ammo from allied nations has been known to have very healthy powder charges and have created critical detonations is earlier M16A2 rifle.

It's your rifle and your face. Just some thoughtfull info, so someone isn't hurt with an unneccesary detonation.

Merry Christmas to All this Holiday Season.

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive to the word 'weapon' being used when talking about hunting guns, but I think it changes how the non-shooting public might view the discussion.

Now, my understanding has been the 2 cartridges are the same, except the 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures, uses heavier brass and heavier (longer) bullets. The longer bullets require the Wylde throat for greater freebore. If the 5.56 ammo does not jam the bullet into the lands of your rifle, I would think you would be OK to shoot it out of a 223 chamber.

I kind of understand the "weapon" reference, especially if he did Army time. In basic, your rifle is a "weapon" and it will be refered to as such. To call it a "gun" caused the drill instructed to tap dance on your head. I believe "rifle" was an OK reference. In any case, "weapon" was the preferred term and I can understand that it could be hard to shake; especially if you had drill Sgt. Irby around to correct you.

Unless you are using a particular firearm to defend yourself, I don't call it a weapon. That is almost as bad as calling an engine a "MOTOR" Duh, a motor is driven by electricity.

JUST my opinion

Dave

Quote:Unless you are using a particular firearm to defend yourself, I don't call it a weapon. That is almost as bad as calling an engine a "MOTOR" Duh, a motor is driven by electricity.

JUST my opinion

Dave

I understand the train of thought but the term engine is also covered as a motor. As in motor oil or motor vehicle.

Wow... that got hi-jacked fast. I have weapons on my belt and in my squad car... I have guns at home, I personally distinguish the difference in any given conversation, I am not however bothered if someone else does not. That being said, I reloaded 200 rds of .22 cal Hornady's with 5.56 brass and they shoot amazing without issue out of my Ruger.

my .02

Back