Barnes bullets for 22-250 question...

wilee.wade

I am just getting into reloading and have a lot to learn so I appreciate any and all advice. I am excited to build a load for my 22-250. It shoots well with factory ammo but can't wait to see what it does with hand loads. My question is, how have you guys found the 53 grain Barnes TSX bullets to work in a 22-250. There is a big warning from Barnes that they need to be used in a 1 in 12" twist or faster. My rifle is a 1 in 14". I really like the performance of the TSX in .280 ackley for elk and would like to use them for coyotes too. What have you guys seen? Do I need to stick with the 50 grain or lighter bullets for top performance?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Wade

If Barnes says they need a 1-12", I'd follow that advice. I really like the TSX also, but they are longer than a typical bullet of the same weight, therefore they need a faster twist. You might get by with the lighter ones, I think they make a 45 grainer. A 45 grain TSX out of a 22-250 would be deadly on coyotes. Probably not necessary to kill a coyote, given their cost, but they'd definately work.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARIf Barnes says they need a 1-12", I'd follow that advice. I really like the TSX also, but they are longer than a typical bullet of the same weight, therefore they need a faster twist. You might get by with the lighter ones, I think they make a 45 grainer. A 45 grain TSX out of a 22-250 would be deadly on coyotes. Probably not necessary to kill a coyote, given their cost, but they'd definately work.

I agree

I live in California where I have to use lead free bullets. The factory 22-250s do not shoot the heavier lead free bullets very good at all. When I had to start shooting lead free bullets I sold my 22-250 because I didn't want to use 36 gr bullets on coyotes.

Lead free bullets and most factory 22-250 rifles don't get along with each other very good.

If you are buying a new rifle and you have to shoot 35 gr to 40 gr lead free bullets a 22-250 is not needed a 223 Rem will shoot the 35 gr bullets at 4000 fps.

Last year I had a 1-8" twist Hart Barrel Rem 700, 22-250 made up so I could shoot the Barnes 55 gr MPG bullets. This rifle has shot the 50 to 62 gr lead free bullets pretty good.

I tried to work up a load with the 53grn tsx and failed miserably for my howa. Switched to the 50grn TSX and WOW, dialed in and driving tacks! I'm pushing them with Varget and its a sweet combination.

ackeyman - no particular purpose other than I am really impressed with what they do on big game. I have yet to shoot a big game animal more than once, they just put them down... I understand shot placement has a lot to do with it, but hoping to do the same thing with coyotes. What bullets have you had luck with? Am open for suggestions, I am just getting started hand loading for my 22-250.

Thank you for the response, looking forward to any more info you can provide.

Wade

Wade, my brother has killed many deer with a 223 and the 53g tripple shock, straight through the shoulders, no behind the shoulder shots.

We just used known loads of bullets in that weight to start working up loads for the 223, just jumped the bullet 0.050.

I would be very interested in your use of the TSX on coyotes.

I would jack up the speed on the 53's, Win 760 has usually gotten great speed with accuracy with bullets of this weight.

I would call Barnes and see what they suggest in a 1-14 twist, they are really great folks to deal with.

I just copied this off the Barnes site:

22 Caliber

Diameter Weight Description S.D. B.C. CAT#
.224" 45-gr TSX FB .128 .188 22441
.224" 50-gr TSX FB .142 .197 22440
straight tripple shock bullets

They rate all of their Tipped tripple shock bullets as needing a 1-12 twist.

Looks like you are in a zone where lead is not an issue, you may be complicating your life, but having a little fun in the process.

Here is a 62 TSX from a yote via .223AI
62tsxyote.jpg

Back