dying footholds for fox/coyote ??????

vtr223

what are your guys thoughts on dying traps for fox and coyote, speed dip gasoline based or a water based dip, or a log wood dye, i am trying a speed dip this year for fast use have alot of nontarget catches on my line so i wanted something that when i move from farm to farm i can re dip to get scent of and be ready after letting dry for 5 to 6 days while i get my coon sets up and running, just woudering your guys thoughts on this subject , thanks see ya on down the line!!

none... you are gonna cover it with dirt.... throw them in water and vinegar.... hang them for a day.. straight to the wax....

Originally Posted By: DustyCLog wood!! I really don't want my traps smelling like gas or any petroleum based product.

thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

if you think whatever you are dipping your traps in are "foolin" a canine you got a lot to learn about them.. HAAHa

I don't know what that statement was geared at but when I first got started trappind I tried the speed dip. It took me three years to get the stink of gas off of those traps and I would find them dug up constantly.
As for dying my traps, I have steel in the ground practically 12 months out of the year. If something should come along and dig one of my traps up partially (rabbits, voles, mice, etc) I don't want a shiny or rusty chunk of steel stickin up out of the ground. Black will blend a little better and still give you a chance at a coyote.
Just my .02 cents but what do I know?

logwood or black walnut hulls you can fidn natural dyes in your area for free but logwood is almost fool proof

i agree with dusty i dont like speed dips but i was taught a trick to remove it let your traps soak in a solution of vinegar and water a few days

I interpreted your comment above to mean that Logwood dye will cover the scent of your trap!!!!

do whatever you want too... i have experimented lots...

heck when i used to cat trap heavy, i dipped my traps in rustoleum paint... LOL

i personally am not worried about digging... i do not think a canine can see shiney anyway... they cannot see the same colors as we do...

have not noticed "diggin" being more of an issue with any color of trap...

i do however think that people wayyyyyyyyyyyyy overthink canine trapping...

me? never said it hides anything digging can be attributed to many things but dyeing shure doesnt hurt i dont like gas dips just a personal thing and yes i agree people way over think cannes trapping but some dont give it enoughf thaught

The yote will be the hardest thing too trap.. Takes a lot too fool that critter, BUT it can be done.. I don't see what the harm is in using NONE gas base dyes.. Soon as I get a new batch of traps in, I soak in vinegar for 4-hrs. take out start them to rust a little. next step boil in dye, then straight to the wax pot. Then I hang them on the back of the barn down at the creek. From this time on, I NEVER touch them with out rubber gloves on..

If thats the truth then why do we bury our traps? Break up the outline and walk away. I have caught coyotes on exposed traps but not very often. Coyotes don't have to see color to be able to see the outline of the trap.
I agree that people way over think trapping. If you think that I am one then maybe you should get to know me before you go knockin what I do.
Cats are the same and can't see color. So why was it a big deal to dip your traps in paint? I have caught a few cats on traps that were straight out of the box with factory grease and shiny welds still on it. I never have caught a coyote with one.
I never said that I was fooling a coyote by dying my traps. I do know for a fact that if a coyote smells something natural under the soil he is less likely to dig at it. Thats why I use logwood and not the gas.
I also only wax and dye my traps once a year. That is in the spring when I start doing control work.

Last edited:
Make sure your traps are a little rusty, I like to run them through the dishwasher, then let them sit out and mist them with vinegar. Then boil them in logwood dye then wax. The logwood dye is good for two reasons, first it takes away the shinyness second it gets rid of the steel smell, which i think is important for canines, I think the biggest problem that I had was makin sure that my trap was solid. If it moves under the coyotes foot, he will dig it up. When I am done with my dirt hole I like to spray the whole area down with fox urine. Hope this helps.

dusty... i painted them to keep coyotes out of them...

my point was simply that "what" you dye a trap in is not going to fool its nose...

when we make a set for canines you are trying to limit the amount of "warning" smells a coyote picks up... and also perk his interest enough for him to let his guard down long enough at the pattern to get caught...

if you wanna dye your traps do it... the post was asking so i offered my opinion...

all very good points ksboy2 if trapping was prefect we would all buy the same book watch the same dvd and use the same traps and lures, but we dont we all try things and try things out one guys way works great for him but wont do any good for another guy, good points from every one on here thats why we are on here because we love hunting trapping and the outdoors good luck guys see ya down the line.

I have heard the dishwasher treatment a few times but I know if we had one and I used it for my traps I would probably be divorced. This is the first forum I have been on that I have heard of using vinegar to speed up the rust process. I have a new box of Montanas on the way, I believe I will give it a try.

I personally don't care wether or not you wax and dye or not. All I know is what I have learned from experience and alot of trappers. I know that coyotes and fox have dug both my logwood and gas dipped traps. I also know that the traps I had dug dipped in logwood were all traps that had made previous catches and probably should have been swapped out. The gas dipped traps never got the chance because the second time I checked and had 4 traps dug up I pulled em all. That was in June and I had dipped em' in March. I could still smell gas on them.

I know that people really overthink trapping, but don't think you can try to make it easy by taking short cuts in your trap preparation. Make simple, quick natural sets with good equipment and lure and you will never have any regrets. Try to make it to simple and you'll have a bunch of 3 toed pinched coyotes thats killin' your neighbors goats and you won't be able to catch em again!!:)

There. Thats more lik.03!;)

By the way Chilson I'm headed your way if the roads ever clear up. My best friend lives outside of Milnesand. I have to go pick up my new stud horse.

logwood dye is a time honored trapping tradition.. and that is it...

anybody who says they never get toe pinches... pull outs... or flipped and dug out traps is prolly more full of BS than they are a trapper!!!!

here is my typical foot-trap connection
Photo-0234.jpg

and here is what happens when you make proper sets and "bed your traps solid" and use quality urine, lure, and bait!
100_7186-2.jpg

btw... here is a picture from my first check on my trapline in Kansas this fall... just don't want you to think i am a smoke blower like 80% of the people on these sites!
2011firstcheck.jpg

I am confused. Does anyone set without dying or waxing? I guess I don't understand the purpose of either, fully.

If you cover the trap, what difference does the color make?

If you don't wax your traps do they stop functioning due to rust? I thought rust was a good thing.

Do waxed traps allow pull outs?

How do coyotes learn to dig up traps unless they have been trapped and gotten away before?

Back