Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500/535/835

"The biggest is the trigger group assembly of the Wingmaster is built on a steel carrier as opposed to the plastic carrier of the Express models."

Nope, sorry...the Wingmaster trigger group body {trigger guard} is anodized aluminum. As was many of the Express 870's, only the finish was different. I believe the Express was powder coated wrinkle black. Only the latest 870 Express' had plastic trigger guards. The actual carrier or shell lifter was always and continues to be steel. Early Wingmaster's had a chrome plated carrier. As to "polished steel" being more durable/reliable...yeah, that's funny!!!!!

+1 on the resale above.

I have 4 870's. 2 supermags and 2 wingmaster, I have never used a Mossberg so can't give you any input there. This old girl here has seen a tonne of rounds and has never let us down and still works flawlessly
IMGP7015.jpg

IMGP7018.jpg

I bought this one for my dad for Christmas a couple years ago but he wont fire it.

IMGP6109.jpg

Before
Ezragun080.jpg

After
MyHoe002-1.jpg

The expesses can be polished up.
I would trade this one for Atom's as I know the more you use an 870 the better they get.

Last edited:
The Wingmasters, especially the older models, are a thing of beauty and shoot like it. The Express is a poor representation of the same model, the sandpaper comparison is a good one. I've had several Mossberg 500's, 835's and one 9200 mistake. The tang safety isn't that much more efficient,it's what you shoot and become a accustomed to,but I think there's a metal aftermarket replacement for the plastic one. If I had to choose one over the other it would be Wingmaster then a camo synthetic stocked 835, but the 835 would get the nod for coyotes and turkeys. The backboring on the 835 does make a difference in patterning plus they're often ported.

I've had both, and although the Mossberg did just fine, I prefer the 870 over the Mossberg. As others have said, the 870 Wingmasters are better than the Expresses. I shot a Model 12 Winchester growing up, and liked it better than any pump gun I've ever used. I have a 1300 Winchester Turkey model that I used to use and like it as well as I do an 870.

I have the 835 my father has the 870.To tight to call which is better.Both shoot well-no failures with either.Nice thing about the 500 is the lower price plus you can get a ML barrel for it.Wish they would come out with one for the 835.

The Mossberg makes a better deer gun you dont have to take your ratteling horns with you just shake the piece of crap and it sounds like two bucks fighting. 870 all the way.

Many years ago when I was in college, a friend bought a Mossberg 500 instead of the 870 express I recommended. The following morning on a green timber duck hunt his safety fell off.
I had an 835 that would not extract winchester shells about one of five times, but it is a better shotgun than the 500.
I own 6 870's, 410 wingmaster, 28 ga wingmaster, 20ga express 16 ga wingmaster my dad bought after returning from Korea in the 50's, (looks like Atom's), 12ga special purpose 3" gun and a 3 1/2" supermag in camo. Never a problem from any of them.

From the choices you listed I would go 870, 895, slingshot.

Quote: If you are talking the 870 Wingmaster, than it is hands down the most durable, dependable shotgun ever made.

I agree whole heartily on that quote.

I have used both current production 870s, 500s and 835s. The 870 has a quieter action (doesnt rattle like the 500, but by no means is loud enough to spook anything), but both the 870 and 500 are good guns. The 835 is a wee bit on the heavy side for carrying IMO.

I prefer mossbergs because of the price, but I do not think I am robbing myself of any quality when it comes to pump guns.

If we were talking semi autos, I would lean towards the Remy. I have seen more than a couple moss 935s have cycling issues.

About 5 pounds LOL My mossberg 500 20gauge shoots great with rifled barrel. I also shoot my 500 turkey gun with a rifle choke tube. Good in brush,jump shots.

I have shot a Mossberg for 16 years. It has taken many turkeys and I have never had an issue. I was told as well that it is inferior to the Rem. But, it was all I could afford so I got it and have enjoyed it thoroughly.

Here's my old 870 Express Turky gun that I use for hunting saltwater ducks, 20 years of sloshing around the bottom of the canoe/layout boat or laying in bay mud and it keeps putting out the rounds. Many cases of 3" steel loads. When I come in it goes in front of the pellet stove to dry out. The insides get s little GOOD gun oil and the outside gets hosed with WD-40 or Corrosion-X When the rust starts looking too bad I hit it with 0000 steel wool and Kroil. The stock has been refinished 3 times. Once the Mag follower rusted solid to the tube but a hammer, dowel and a brake hone fixed it right up. It is one tough shotgun. It makes a heck of a predator shotgun too.

870001.jpg

AWS

Last edited:
I bought an 870 wingmaster 12 gauge 34 yrs. ago and have never had a problem with it. Killed two fox with it 3 yrs. ago, but doesn't come out of the safe very much anymore. Want to keep it in good shape to hand down to my kids when I'm gone. Bought a Mossberg 535 a few yrs. back so I could take advantage of more choke choices. I also like the larger trigger gaurd and top safety with gloved hands. Scratches and dings won't bother me as much on the mossberg.

Originally Posted By: riverbossThe Mossberg makes a better deer gun you dont have to take your ratteling horns with you just shake the piece of crap and it sounds like two bucks fighting. 870 all the way.

Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.

I stumbled into a mossberg 835 the other day. It is ok but like the quote says it sure does rattle.

I've carried Mossy, 870's and 37's in the field and as duty guns. The best duty gun would be the 870 police grade, the best upland gun the 37 and Mossy for everything else. I don't even consider the newer express shotguns 870's, the Chinese copy is better. A Wingmaster is a thing of beauty but for most situations I'd take my Mossy 535, lighter and I don't worry about scratching it. But those old Wingmasters are great guns. They had great fit and finish and were well made and they oozed quality.

Originally Posted By: kohBoth are good guns but I prefer Mossbergs personaly. I have and shoot both but I like the safety position on the Mossy and none of my Mossbergs have ever broken, I wish I could same about the 870.

I like the interchangeable barrels and accu choke set up also.

If you look at gun stores at parts for shotguns you will have to blow the dust off of the parts boxes for the Mossbergs. Very reliable in the field.

Just like everything else, everyone has flavors that they prefer over another. It's just personal choice.

I have two mossbergs and both are broken. One is an older mossberg purchased in the late 80's perhaps early 90's. It was junk from the getgo, I loved it as a kid because I outshot my older brothers and all his friends but it was not reliable. the slide release was bad and very hard to keep functioning.

The second is an 835 utility mag, 3-1/2 inch with all the choke tubes. This one will not eject a spent shell casing, the casing expands in the barrel and freezes in place. The extractor is fine it'll notch the rim of the case pulling on it. I gotta shove a ramrod down the end of the barrel to dislodge the case.

I use an old wingmaster now, love it.

Last edited:
Hmmm I Gotta say that rattling thing made me laugh.
I've had two Mossbergs Never had a problem out of either one in 30 yrs. They shot just fine. Stil do. Ducks , geese, deer (slug barrel)warm or cold , wet or dry and I like the tang safety .
The old Pre 70's wing masters are nice no argument there.
But 30 years ago I had a limmited amount of cash...
Oh yeah, same deal today .
So the Mossberg was the way to go.
your mileage may vary...

Back