New here, from Utah

Warhawk

Howdy ... I thought I'd do the right thing and introduce myself.

44 years old, USAF vet, gun owner, hunter, shooter, biker.

I live in the Ogden, Utah area. Been here about a year and a half, previously lived in Kansas.

Used to do a lot of hunting in Kansas, everything from Quail and Pheasants, to coon hunting with hounds, to whitetail deer hunting.

Love the Utah mountains, and spend as much time as I can riding (motorcycle) in the mountains.

Warhawk - Weeelllll okay now,

"old (aren't we all), USAF vet (cool thank you for your service to our country), gun owner (Always a good thing), hunter (Cool we all can relate), shooter (Some think thats the same as being a hunter, but its not at all).......... biker" ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ... now thats something to talk about, are you a dirt biker or do you run big American steel street machines? My street weapon of choice is an 80" FLH Shovelhead.

Well I started to like ya until I read the "biker" part and now I really like ya!!!!
5.gif

Too bad momma says yes up until the point of me actually getting one then she drops the hammer on me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Glad to have ya in with the ranks of some good folks. Oh and BTW, Weasel UT loves pics of dead stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks to all for the welcomes ...

I've lived in a dozen states and even 2 years in West Germany in my lifetime, so far. I guess Arkansas and Kansas are home. I've got family in north central Arkansas and in the Wichita, Kansas area.

Been in Utah about a year and a half now. But have been working too much and haven't done a bit of hunting since I got here.

I'm an Iron Butt Association member, that means you've ridden a motorcycle 1000 miles in under 24 hours (at a minimum). I'm riding a couple of Kawasaki's right now, and planning on a new bike next spring. Probably an Electra Glide.

I would say that I'm more of a shooter than a hunter. And I'm a disciple of the late great Elmer Keith, big bores all the way for me! My deer rifle is a .338 Win Mag. I don't have to blood trail them any more . And I'm never too far from a Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum.

I own quite a few guns, not as many as I used to but enough. My main interests are big bore revolvers, accurate rifles, lever action rifles, and all kinds of .22s.

Between us we've got 5 kids, one of her sons was a Marine and my oldest is in the USAF. We also have a grandson who is about six months old. Already got my eye on a laminated Henry .22 at Wal Mart for him .

Thanks again, I think I'm gonna like it around here.

Jim

Iron Butt Association, well now I'm honored to have you aboard.

When I first got the Shovelhead my goal was to get the old neglected beast to go 100 miles before it stopped running or something broke. The bike looked great and it still does but it sat in one spot more than it moved (7,256 miles on it) for a number of years before I got it. It's harder on a motorcycle to sit than it is for it to be ridden regularly. It took over a year before I could trust it to go a 100 miles at one leap but during that time I got to know every nut and bolt on the old girl. Pilers of rusty parts were replaced or discarded, rusted gas tanks were welded, replacement of some Harley junk like non-cv carb. (a stock Harley CV carb. replaced the older model, a great/cheap Shovelhead up grade) and crapped out ignition system (replaced by a Dyna 2000i single fire ignition, Big difference). New Brakes (PM in the front, GMA in the back) came after an accident that was totally my fault for not allowing for awful Harley Davidson brakes (the old girl will deffinately stop in a strait line now). So after all that I'm reasonably sure the old girl would pound off 1,000 miles in a day but I don't know if I'd be able to stand it. Sounds like I hate my shovelhead, but I don't, theres an odd sort of love afair going on thats almost totally out of my control.

I've done a few Iron Butt rides, to me it's more a mental thing than a physical thing. You just have to sit on the bike and keep going until you get there.

My 2000 Nomad has just shy of 47,000 miles on it. I got another Vulcan, a 1500 Mean Streak over the holidays and have about 3000 miles on it, all riding locally in the mountains. It's a fun bike.

I don't have the patience to ride a shovel, or any older bike. The first time I was ready to ride and it wasn't I'd be bike shopping .

Nice to meet you

Warhawk,

Welcome to the board /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I used to live in a smaller town not to far from Ogden called Hooper. My dad has a sign company in Ogden called Wright Signs. Those are some good looken pics. Glad to have ya here

Wow that is one big Buck. I wish Utah would get some of those here but I think that will take along time before that ever happens

Welcome aboard Warhawk! I'm just down the road from you a piece, in, as the kids say, K-town... OK, maybe they don't say that, but never the less, it's always good to see another Davis County resident on the board!

Welcome Warhawk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

I'm also a Elmer Keith fan. I grew up redaing his stories. His book "Hell I was there" is good reading.

Good Hunting

Byron

Thanks for all the warm welcomes ... Once the summer is over and the snow flies, I'll be ready to get out and see if I can scare up a Utah coyote or bobcat, and I'm hoping to shoot a few prairie dogs in Wyoming too.

Back