what needs to happen before an bobcat comes in

adi

how long u need to call

u leave the foxes and coyotes alone , or they dont stay in the same habitat,how agressive the calls has to be , the decoy motion ?

........ and whateva else u guys know about this

grey fox and cats live closely in the same habitat have called fox and cats in both at once and have caught cats and fox in the same areas. just my thaughts
are you asking how do you call in bobcats? or all of the questions above? just curious

I'm not a bobcat expert but common wisdom is to call longer than with coyotes--45-60 minutes. Our 'cats have come quicker than that. Busy, higher pitched sounds are also frequently recommended. I generally can't stand to let a coyote walk. I've doubled on a coyote first then a bobcat so it didn't seem to matter on that one.
smile.gif

Bobcat are stealthy and very perceptive to movement (a motion decoy is an excellent idea) but I don't think that 'cats are in the same ballpark with a coyote in the brains department. They don't seem to have a "call memory" meaning you can call them again with the same sound you used yesterday and they don't seem to use the wind at all. When a bobcat shows up, its special but they aren't the sharpest crayon in the box. Good luck and post pics when you connect!

biggest thing with cats is they have the attention span of a two year old if something else catches his attention hes gone but sometimes they will come back keep him occupied

Originally Posted By: Bearcall continuously or a cat will get distracted. +l
And change up sounds often from different rabbit distress to bird distress, etc., more often than you would for coyotes.
I've heard they get bored with the same sound over and over, that's why you'd change it up a lot.

You'll probably call one in by accident before you call one in while specifically cat calling. Also, you've probably called one in already and never saw it.

Last edited:
When Im hunting Im not targeting cats as a general rule, but I have had them come in to rabbit/rodent distress calls, and also on a longer stand Baby Goat. In the areas I hunt that are known for cats I didnt see that it took that much longer for a Bobcat than a Coyote.JMO from what I have seen. Good luck.

I have had them charge in, I have had them stalk in and sit. I call pretty much the same areas for foxes and bobcats. Call the rocks and in the brush, just make sure that you get a good mental image of the area before calling. Many times they will just "magically" appear. I have scanned one way, then spotted a "new" bush that has ears. I have also gotten finished on a stand and started to break it down only to see a cat sitting there watching me. I will often leave a good distance between my stand and the rocks, it seems to encourage more coyotes to come in, than if you are right up at the rocks. I personally stay out of the rocks, and call into them. But in the brush, I have even gone so far as to get on hands and knees to crawl into it. Good luck.

I have had them come running in at about a minute and slip in at the 15-20 minute mark using the same sounds as I would for a coyote or fox.

I also don't just stop as soon as I shoot a cat. I have doubled on cats a couple of times or had something else come in after the cat as well.

Originally Posted By: adihow long u need to call

u leave the foxes and coyotes alone , or they dont stay in the same habitat,how agressive the calls has to be , the decoy motion ?

........ and whateva else u guys know about this

While cats seem to prefer the really thick brush motts where I hunt, you will often find coyotes in the same area. We have no fox that I have seen; they seem to stay 100 miles farther north, so can't comment on fox.

I generally start off calling rather softly, using a busy bird or rabbit sound, when hunting cats, but have had a cat come within 10 ft. of the call when I was trying to reach some coyotes that I had seen a half mile away using full volume of lightning jack. There are no hard, fast rules!

In Dec. of 2006, I was hunting one of my favorite "cat holes" which is a sendero running through some of the thickest brush on the ranch. With about 45 minutes of daylinght left, we set up the Foxpro & decoy about 50 yards down the sendero and, as I recall, started off with lucky bird, switched to adult cottontail distress and maybe threw in a few woodpecker distress. About 15 minutes into the stand, a small bobcat ran out of the thick stuff into the sendero about 125 yards away, looking back over her shoulder at the decoy. She made the mistake of stopping to look back at the decoy and that is where she fell.

This is where the story gets a bit strange. I left the call running and was sitting there enjoying the moment when a young coyote ran out of the brush, apparently on the same trail the cat had used because the brush is so thick you cannot crawl through it without cutting your way in. Any rate, he was also looking back at the call when he actually tripped over the dead cat in the rut of the two track. He rolled and landed on his feet, then he, too made the mistake of stopping to look back to see what had just happened. He fell about 10 yards past the cat.

IMG_1629-1.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I shot a large bobcat about 1/2 mile north of that same spot. This picture shows the type of cover they use. You have to look closely to find the cat at the bottom of the picture; he fell where he was shot and was less than a foot from emerging into the sendero from the brushy mott.

Bobcat2011nov17LaJoya007-1.jpg

Bobcat2011nov17LaJoya015.jpg

Cats can come in slowly. They normally slip in very slowly and seem to just suddenly appear, but occasionally they will come in on the double. Since they hunt by sight, sitting very still is a plus and constantly examine your surroundings, especially the edges of the thick stuff for any change.

I usually sit longer (45 minutes to an hour or longer) where there is a possibility of a cat but have had them show up in less than 5 minutes.

As you can see, as in coyote hunting, there are no hard, fast rules when calling cats. What works this week, doesn't seem to be what they are looking for next month.
wink.gif

Good hunting.

Regards,
hm

Just keep calling the thick cover and eventually a bobcat will show up. Don't worry about passing up other critters to get a bobcat. The sound of gunfire and dead coyotes laying around won't bother them.

I had a stand where I called in and killed a coyote about 6 feet away from the mojo critter then about 10 minutes later a bobcat showed up (out of season) and walked up to the mojo critter with the dead coyote laying there. The bobcat became completely mesmerized by the decoy and stared at the mojo critter for a solid 5 minutes. I played several sounds on the Foxpro to see what the bobcat would do, but it did not matter. I could not get a rise out of that bobcat even playing mountain lion roars. Eventually, the bobcat walked over to the coyote and put his nose against the coyote to smell it. I was surprised it went right up to a coyote that had only been dead for 10 minutes. The bobcat was not concerned. It just smelled the coyote then walked away from the stand. The bobcat never detected me. I was sitting on top of a ladder about 15 yards away from the decoy.

Never know when a bobcat will show up and do goofy stuff.

Small decoys like the MoJo critter will mesmerize them. They will frequently just appear out of nowhere at the edge of thick cover, so unless you hunt at night, you will probably not see them unless they are paying careful attention. My usual first thought is "where did HE come from" or "how long has he been sitting there". I cannot stress enough their uncanny ability to appear out of nowhere. They usually sit and watch for a long time.

I wouldn't pass up any yotes. If a yote comes in early, blast him and keep calling like nothing happened. I've missed many a cat on my first shot, only to have him sit there for a second (or third)shot.

Last edited:
Back