mickey mouse boots???

anyone familiar with these, I've tried on a pair of 9r, and they fit snug just like my workboots( while wearing wool socks) is this a proper fit or should I choose the wide version, or is anyone familiar with how much wider the wide version would be over they regular size?

thanks
stan

Tight is cold as far as I can say.Its been a long time since my Army days but I did some arctic training at Ft.Drum.We all had the Mickey Mouse boots.They did a great job of keeping the feet warm but they were heavy.If your going to be sitting for long periods I would say bigger is better.If your going to be doing alot of walking and not much sitting,snug fit may be a better option.Hope this helps!

Snug is fine, tight is not. The white boots are good for -50, the black ones
maybe -30 or so. I wore them for years in Alaska, then here ice fishing. I
since switched to Sorel intrepid explorer pacs, much warmer when just sitting.

Last edited:
i wear sorel glaciers, they are rated to -100. you need a little room around your feet to create and trap warm air to keep your feet warm, too snug and youll lose that and slow down circulation, and you will get cold.

Id agree that the newer Pac boots are better. I have some 1000 gr Irish Setter tracker boots. Very warm. Tested, by me, to -20.

The mickey boots are supposed to be slightly snug, not tight. Also, if the air bladders in them are worn or broken, they are junk. Most mil surp stuff is not servicable.

I agree also, boots that are too tight are colder. Mickey mouse boots are warm but heavy as stated above. Plus those [beeep] ears will constantly trip you up while walking.
smile.gif

The warmest boots vie ever worn were from Cabelas. The Jeff King series boots. He wore them during the dog sled races in alaska. But they are kind of big and clumsy. However it's like putting your feet in a heating pad

They are sposta be kinda loose and clunky as I'm pretty sure by wool socks you meant normal thickness ones. Those boots were designed for the extra fluffy stuff hence they are nothing but plastic. They suck to move a lot of distnace in due to their size and how warm they get. They allow you to stay on top of snow a little easier though. A trick we used when it was mandatory to wear them was we would lodge the valves open with tape or something we had that was handy. Once we were siting around again close the valve and feet stay toasty :)

The black Bata brand bunny boots. Called Mickey Mouse. Boots are OK to 20 below. The white bunny boots are the staple for boots in the interior and Arctic of Alaska. .the valves must be kept closed unless you are flying. Then trust me you will remember that you forgot to open them before you took off .. I have 1 PR black. 2 pair white. My wife has 2 PR white. I want to get a pair of Trans Alaska boots. . But bunny boots are pretty mandatory. I've worked in -103deg.F. wind chill. - 65 F temp with wind blowing pretty good. My feet did not even get chilled with white Bata bunny boots on.

Last edited:
Even when I was stationed at Seneca Army Depot during the 2 worst winters in recorded history(77-78) we didn't wear the Mickey's. They were just too darned heavy. I can't even think of one time we wore them the entire time I was in for that matter. They are just too darned heavy when you add gear and start hiking through the boonies, especially brush where you have to lift your feet up high. Now for static positions where you are just sitting still forever they are fine. You can't beat them for sitting in the cold as long as you aren't trudging about. For me at least I would restrict them to the under a mile, not more than ankle deep treks with a lot of sitting if possible.
Mouse boots are 60 year old technology and never were intended for hunting. You'll find more appropriate choices out there commercially available if you will be doing much walking.

Back