Cedar City, Beaver, Fillmore Utah coyote action

Zukman

I'm going to be in southern Utah this next week and was wondering if anyone had an offer of somewhere I would maybe have some luck in that area to take a friend out to get a few dogs for his first hunt.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Heck, there is a contest going on every weekend in this state.

Zukeman there are decent areas to the west of all the towns you mentioned, but all those areas get called pretty hard. I have no ace in the hole to give you, but go give it a try, there are plenty of coyotes out there.

yeah thos areas get hit pretty hard, but good luck, never know if you get into a area some dont untill your there!

Originally Posted By: ZukmanWhat contest is this Saturday?

The same one they run every year on the same day out of Nephi. It's been on Thanksgiving Saturday for the last 10-15 years. I think ya have to be born of the right lineage or something to get in. I'm sure they don't want some ringers comin in and takin their money...

I got into it once, but my partner who is born of the right blood and got me in, moved on. I guess I will never win the most coveted prize in all of Utah predator hunting.

I am not really bashing it like some people do. It was a good time and there were a lot of good guys there. I just wish it was more open.

Originally Posted By: ZukmanWhat contest is this Saturday?

At least 1 or 2 every weekend and that's on a off weekend!

That would be the Utah State Championship contest on Thanksgiving weekend. They do not advertise it. Someone needs to give the email address to you in order to get invited.

EVERYWHERE has coyote hunting pressure unless its PP. Dont let that deter you. There are coyotes to be had out there and just because they have had pressure before doesnt mean its futile. Im tired of everyone saying "There are more coyote hunters than coyotes in Utah!" I go out every weekend and I RARELY see coyote hunters. The vast majority of "coyote" hunters drive around and shoot from the road. So its my experience that there are NOT more coyote hunters than coyotes. Just get to callin. They will come!!! Patience + Persistence= PAYOFF!!

I agree you can call coyotes in heavily pressured areas, but I can go to a lot of areas and see five or six other groups calling. On one stand I had two other groups calling with in ear shot. I cant tell you how many times I have played leap frog with other callers.

1911, you must have a lot of honey holes no one else knows about. I see other people every time I go west. I now hunt areas that few people would take the time to drive to, or areas with lower coyote density just to get away from people. I am not saying there are any shortage of coyotes! We are not complaining, I will take what we have here in Utah with millions of acres of public land and a lot of hunters over what guys back east have to deal with.

Pressured coyotes ARE harder to call, not impossible,but harder. Especially when you can here the others guys fox pros blaring 200 yards away.

I did the State hunt this year didnt have much luck this year. but if your coming to utah to hunt coyotes I would be ready to have a slow day this State gets hit harder than any other state in the country IMO .
And I know atleast 10 people and myself who have hunted the area your wanting to know about. There is 1-2 contest here every weekend . and this time of year when the big game hunts are over Everyone hunts coyotes I mean EVERYONE.
But good luck , you will need it . And I mean that in a serious way not sarcasticlly.

Originally Posted By: SalemDawgerI agree you can call coyotes in heavily pressured areas, but I can go to a lot of areas and see five or six other groups calling. On one stand I had two other groups calling with in ear shot. I cant tell you how many times I have played leap frog with other callers.

1911, you must have a lot of honey holes no one else knows about. I see other people every time I go west. I now hunt areas that few people would take the time to drive to, or areas with lower coyote density just to get away from people. I am not saying there are any shortage of coyotes! We are not complaining, I will take what we have here in Utah with millions of acres of public land and a lot of hunters over what guys back east have to deal with.

Pressured coyotes ARE harder to call, not impossible,but harder. Especially when you can here the others guys fox pros blaring 200 yards away.

Probably playing Lighting Jack, driving a yellow Sportsman 8000 or red diesel truck, carrying a shiny black AR, smoking Maraboro's, and wearing mossy oak marsh camo saying "there ain't no yotes in Utah"........LOL

I call in and kill a SLEW of coyotes in UTAH on public land every week. Complain all you want, I'll be in the sage...
tongue.gif

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceI call in and kill a SLEW of coyotes in UTAH on public land every week. Complain all you want, I'll be in the sage...
tongue.gif

+1 Tom, thats exactly how I feel

ha +2 tom you aint gonna kill em sittin here complaining about how everyone in the state with or with out a gun is out looking for em, just get out somewhere and start calling, and so what if you see other people, just drive a little bit further away and keep trying.

Can one of the previous posters explain what a "slew" of coyotes is? That goes against everything I have seen, heard, or experienced in hunting coyotes in Utah.

Back