I am having the worst luck this year!

Try a 60 gr. V-Max at about 2,800 - 2,850 fps. If you can't anchor them with that then you're shooting eye is off center.
smile.gif

Sounds to me that you are aiming for Mass and not the vitals. Try taking your time, squeezing the trigger is key and pulling the trigger is going to ruin any chance at a good kill shot.

Originally Posted By: jinxed247Yeah...I going to be looking into a new coyote round. I am getting half inch groups out of the vmaxs but this is the first time that I am having issues killing coyotes with them.

The crappy part is that I had picked up four boxes of vmaxs the other day.

DDW,is right.
That said my buddy center punched one this morning with a 12 gage slug,and it still made it to the swamp!!30 yard shot saw the wound open as it hit.

Thanks Baystate!

I went out this weekend Night calling and i brought my Neighbors son, he has never been coyote calling let alone calling in total darkness. I called in a yote with my Foxpro FX5 using Prairie Dog distress and 10 minutes into the stand i shined a pair of eyes with my Stanley White LED spotlight. I shut off the light for a second to have Jesse get ready because i saw the eyes. He was going to shoot the coyote with my .243 with a Nikon Coyote special scope at 100+ yards free hand. I told him to lay down and use my gun which is a Bushmaster AR15 Varminter Special with Hornady 55grain Vmax, a 3x9x40 Burris Fullfield II and on top of the scope i have a Lasergenetics ND3X50 Subzero and a Harris bipod. I then lit up the eyes again and he found the dog in the scope with the use of the laser and 2 minutes into the laser being on the dogs eyes i told him he had better shoot because the yote was not going to stand there for ever. Boom! I hear the WHOP and start to Ki Yi!! Nothing else showed so we walked in search of this dog. We found it laying exactly where he had shot him. We walked back to where the shot was taken from and i counted 136 long steps which equates too about 150 yards. This was his first coyote and he shot him just too the right/top of his left nostril and it exited the right ear. We had discussed earlier about where to place the shot because he was talking about shooting at mass and not the vitals. Obviously he wasnt listening to our conversation. It was a 3 dog weekend and they were all at night. I should have had a double but i pulled the trigger on the 2nd one and then proceeded to beat myself over my own head with my shooting styxs.

Pic's will follow tonight because i cannot post or see pictures on my work computer.

I will take your ammo if it is in .223??

Thanks!

DDW

Originally Posted By: jinxed247Hornady 55gr vmax and yeah...next time I will be sending more lead downrange!

I ran 50gr. V-maxes out of mine while out west and had no trouble dropping coyotes with them from my AR. I had one coyote that we couldn't find in the dark. We lost track of him looking for a shot on another coyote on the same stand when we had 5 of them running around. Those suckers are hard to find once you step off the high rack. The dogs bayed on him then grew bored with it and moved on. Most of mine were shot past 100yds with some as far as 275yds at night. I only had one runner and that was due to a bad shot on my part. I clipped his back and sent him running for the dogs to catch. He was also one of the closest ones I shot at. The only eastern coyote I've killed was bang flopped with a 45gr. Winchester White Box factory load out of my T/C Contender Carbine. He was about 60yds. Most of my shots were either in the shoulder or on the back edge. A few were head on right at the spot where there is a "V" in their neck and brisket. I don't think it's your gun or load. Night shooting is tough. I think you're seeing a combination of bad luck, bad shots, and maybe some tough dogs. If in doubt, double tap anything that isn't laying with stiff legs in the air. There's no shame in a bang, bang, flop
smirk.gif

I can see me not getting a great shot at a moving coyote at night..despite the flop and cartwheel show...but I know for a fact that the three previous coyotes should have been DRT. Center chest shots on two of them and one standing broadside. I watched the impact of the rounds and the fur flying out from behind them. One or two coyotes I can say yeah maybe they weren't shot quite right...but not four. Seems like I am shooting fmj's at the dang things...no expansion.

Got a pass through with a smaller than a dime exit hole through the does neck with the 55gr vmax. Got two pass throughs on the eight point I killed at 350yds. Something isin't adding up with this batch of ammo I am using. I am going to try a new lot...since i have four more boxes...and see if my luck turns.

Back