Help with my .243 and scope set-up for coyote hunting

JG

There are a bunch of tough guys on here. If it works for you, then go for it. Try the new scope and report back. I bet you will get acceptable levels of accuracy if you try.

right on, i'll go get the Nikon tomorrow a.m. get it zero'd at 50 (lol) then 100 and go from there.

thanks for your service by the way shane, much appreciated.

That's what I would do. BTW. I had great success with the regular grey box Winchester 80gr rounds. They worked well until I started reloading for my 243. They are a hair cheaper then the Fusions.

yeah i have had great success with Winchester in general both deer hunting and target shooting those rounds in 243 80 grain and 270 130 grain. may just switch back was thinking of going to 55 grain tomorrow just to see how well i like it at greater distances.

Lol wow someone got their little girl panties in a twist over a smart [beeep] reply on a public forums. Better get used to it there's plent of other guys here who are going to have some sort of smart a$$ replys to posts regardless of their nature of the question at hand. So bring your big boy pants next time you jump I front of the keyboard. Lots of guys here will answer your questions give ya advice and opinions on subjects and yes some may even be "Dickish" about it. Welcome to predator masters

gotta love the "ignore" option lol.

i'll let you guys know how the new Nikon Prostaff works out after shooting tomorrow am, thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
alright, got the Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40, in camo with the BDCompensator on it. first i went and shot some new ammo through the gun with the redhead scope still on it, i wanted to change ammo anyway, got 58 grain hornady but at 50 yards (bass pro indoor range makes you start at 50) i shot 4 rounds, yup group the size of a baseball not good. took the redhead scope off, put on the new Nikon (bass pro gave me $$$ back).

so, the best i could get was at the end of zeroing about a 2 inch group which i am happy with. honestly though at 50 yards if my group isnt tighter than that it's me, and i am sure the Rossi isnt the most accurate gun, a single shot at that.

so i am def happy with the scope, thanks for the recommendations guys. going coyote hunting wed when the wind stops blowing from the north, pretty excited bout that.

No offense but I hope you aren't the shooter. 2" group at 50 is still a 4" at 100 and 8 at 200. There is absolutely nothing wrong with single shot rifles. They can be inherently more accurate that a lot of people would care to believe. Just a note of caution with the BDC. It's not necessarily correct depending on the round you are shooting. Should be pretty close but it's basically a little holdover dot for reference.
One thing that really helped me at the range was getting a smaller target. I find that when the target is too big it's difficult for me to keep everything centered. Its a psychological thing that a lot of people have. Took me 200 rounds to figure out why I was a better shot with iron sights than a scope. I took less for granted with iron sights.

yeah i am the shooter, guess i dont understand what you mean by that. 2" at 50 yards not very good, i understand that. best i could manage so i'll be practing my [beeep] off to improve that.

yeah, i def like the smaller targets too, same in archery when i shoot leagues and such i practice on quarter size dots. makes shooting larger targets much easier IMO.

thanks for the info on the BDC, i wondered that myself due to the round, i am so used to not using it i prolly wont but i'll toy around with it when practicing at 200 yards and see.

oh and wraithen, what i meant by the single shot was it's a Rossi, not the most accurate gun i am finding out, lots and lots of guys are telling me that it's all over the place, very hard to zero in super tight. may just pull the Nikon off and put on my 270 remington for anything farther than 100 yards but let me give it more practice at 100 yards. that's all i mean.

I don't know how much a Rossi costs. But a Savage Edge or Axis is only about 300$ . And all that I've heard of shoot tiny little bug hole groups .. And they are repeaters. . Put a Pro staff Nikon, Redfield, Burris , Bushnell 3200 , VX I Leupold ect. scope on it and a bipod and sling. . Your set. . Put some pennys into a lighte r trigger spring in it. Easy and great..

Last edited:
ProStaff is a good choice on the scope, and as an earlier poster noted, for not much money you can get a really decent rifle to put it on. For instance, Bud's Gun Shop in Lexington KY (great folks to do business with, in my opinion) has a Stevens .243 (made by Savage) on Gunbroker for $295 + $25 shipping..

IMHO, you couldn't go wrong. Good luck....persistence will pay off!

14603.jpg

vartage that's a dang good price, thanks man i'll check those out. i paid $199 for the rossi, on special at Academy Sports before rifle deer season.

i have a remington 270 that if i cant get what i want outta the Rossi 243 i may just stick the new scope on there.....but a guy never can have enough guns and i'd like the bolt action 243 above.

The Stevens or Edge/Axis with the Prostaff should be a reliable shooter for not much money.

It is WORLDS ahead of any Rossi/Redhead combo.........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunThe Stevens or Edge/Axis with the Prostaff should be a reliable shooter for not much money.

It is WORLDS ahead of any Rossi/Redhead combo.........

True Dat!

I have a pair of Redhead Binos my wife got me for Christmas several years ago. I can't see worth a darn with them. She sees perfectly fine with them. I went back to my old 7X50 Selsi and can see better than anything I have ever tried. She uses the Redheads and I use the Selsi Binos.

In MY HONEST OPINION, I wouldn't use a Readhead Optics product for anything but a target. They are junk. I have Selsi Bino's from the early 1970's and am happy with them, and these have had the lense fall out of one side of them.

I know there are alot of better optics out there but I can't comment on those as I don't (haven't) used them.

Tony

sell what you have. get a remington heavy barrel varmint from dicks for 399 w a scope. neither the rifle or the scope are capable of doing what you want. you wioll spend a lot on factory ammo to figure this out.

If the 243 and 270 are all you got I would put the Prostaff on the 270 and hunt with that then sell the Rossi and upgrade as funds are available.

John, I would start at your mounts before I gave up ont he scope, as much as I would love to see you buy a Nikon scope, making sure everything else is working for you is a good start. My son was shooting a .243 Rossi for a while and we had it hitting 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.
I'd take it to a gun smith and have him inspect the bases and rings, make sure they are the ones that go with the rifle and that everything is installed correctly. If rings don't fit right replace them, see if lapping is necessary to insure a secure fit between ring and scope. Just a thought. If he says everything is secure ask him to mount the scope and make another trip tot he range. This will let you know for sure if it is a scope issue.
I see a lot of folks at public ranges the weekend before deer season with scopes mounted all sorts of incorrect ways, heck I've even seen them backwards!
I'd also suggest that you go to Nikonhunting.com, click on the Spot On logo. Register, it's free, then you can enter all your shooting info. intot his site and even get info. on where you would need to sight in at 50 yards to have a 200 yard zero with the ammo you are using.
I hope this helps you out. There are a lot of guys on this site who have a huge amount of shooting knowledge and I'm sure can add additional suggestions.

Back