Opinion on the mueller tactical scope???

Hoyt572

ok, been researching all day, so far the mueller tactical scope 4-16x50 with illuminated mil dot is the ONLY scope I've found that I can't find a bad review on. Keep in mind guys I like the 50mm lens, and def want an illuminated reticle, and yes this scope is actually above my price range currently.....

If you go with the crossfire you wont be getting as good of glass as with the Mueller i just got that exact scope last week it is 1 of 3 Muellers i own ive hunted in the pouring rain with there AO scopes many times and never had any trouble the glass on this scope is awsome for the price and the lighted dot is sweet i wouldnt be scared to buy this scope just because one guy had a bad experience just dont have it dipped and enjoy.

Originally Posted By: riverbossIf you go with the crossfire you wont be getting as good of glass as with the Mueller i just got that exact scope last week it is 1 of 3 Muellers i own ive hunted in the pouring rain with there AO scopes many times and never had any trouble the glass on this scope is awsome for the price and the lighted dot is sweet i wouldnt be scared to buy this scope just because one guy had a bad experience just dont have it dipped and enjoy.

riverboss, please go read the complete thread...

This statement (From Mueller) has nothing to do with being dipped, but refers directly to how they measure their "waterproofing"

"Our IEC waterproof rating is an IPX-4 and only rated for spraying water at all directions (spraying water does not mean jet spray)."

So if the scope can't even handle a spraying of water, how is it also supposed to be "shockproof", "fully nitrogen purged", etc.....

I did read the whole post and i still like my Muellers ive had my Mueller out in down pours and got it soaking wet with no problems and have hunted all day in the snow bringing it back in the warm house after being out in the fridged cold all day no problems i would bet if it would of never been dipped the owner would still love that scope. For a $200.00 dollar scope they are awsome just ask Joebob how many he has seen with water issues i wouldnt warranty anything someone dunked in water either if i was in business the big name companys can afford to warranty stuff but its hard for a company that doesnt make a fortune off of there scopes to stay in business if they have to eat product that was used in a way it wasnt designed to be . Water spray warranty is good enough for me im not going to throw it in the lake or have it dipped. I like my Muellers.

Simply put:

Don't purposely void the warranty on any optics if at all possible.

Stanley's was the first (and still is our only) Mueller scope that has ever leaked water, but it so far is the only one we know of that was intentionally dunked for dipping as well, at least that we've sold. The process to dunking is more than just spraying water on it such as would happen in a rain storm.

We've sold hundreds upon hundreds of Muellers, so the sample group is pretty large.

Mueller scopes offer great bang for the buck in optical clarity. If you want a better no fault warranty, then go Vortex or Leupold. Mueller's warranty is no different than many other optics companies. Vortex's stuff is a little more beefy, with a better warranty, at a slightly higher price point (IMO) for the glass clarity, over the Mueller's.

Decide what price point you want, and then pick the best glass, reticle, and other features in that price point you want in the brand of your choice. You'll never get a VX4 scope out of a VX1, either, so don't expect to in any other brand. IIRC, the Leupold VX1 scopes have mushy clicks and aren't even fully multi coated?

Originally Posted By: lyotehuntersimmons makes them so get the simmons probably better customer service.just a thought

Simmons makes Mueller scopes? I doubt Simmons makes their own scopes...there are only so many optics manufacturing plants overseas and even fewer places that grind rifle scope optical glass.

Where'd you hear that?

Muellers are not made by Simmons...Mueller Optics is located in Michigan, Simmons is located in Kansas...

I have two Muellers that have been subjected to some hard use in action competitions and while one needed to be sent in for some warranty work, the $12 warranty charge was nominal and turn around was one week, totally repaired...

IMHO, they are one of the better scopes at the lower price points on the market...

If you want to spend a little more, then consider Sightron or Vortex...Both good optics with great warranties...After them, move up to Leupold...

For the abuse/cost factor that my action competiton scopes get, the Mueller is a good buy..

I have always found Muellers strikingly similar to Swift scopes, and would not be surprised if they were made in the same plant, or somehow related or used some of the same parts. JMO, no facts to back it up, as I've never really researched that theory.

I do know that some Muellers are made in China and have Jap glass. Their top of the line model was Jap made, IIRC. Some of the Swifts are also, but some use USA made Schott glass and are made in Korea or Phillipines. It is just that some of the components are so similar. Truth is, I don't know for sure.

I consider both makes to be fragile. However, rather than do repairs, both companies are known for just giving you a new scope if yours fails........

I currently own two of these scope with a third one soon on the way. I never had a problem with them. Not as clear as my Leupold, but work fine

Originally Posted By: lyotehuntermy mueller has the exact same hardware on it as my buddy's simmons,so i guess they use the same componets.

I wouldn't be surprised if LOTS of different optics companies shared SOME similar components, with the amount of outsourcing, contract machining, etc that goes on. However, every company has different specifications, proprietary designs, etc. Most optics sold in the US are made in less than a handful of overseas optics manufacturing plants.

Back