What is your favorite 22 mag ammo for coyotes?

It must really work
grin.gif

Truth is, I didn't realize it was an old thread til after I last posted........

Have used a 22 mag in early season for squirrels and any chance encounters with coyotes. Agreed, you need to limit distance (I stay under 100 yds most of the time) and only take set shots. But, I have taken several coyotes with my Marlin bolt action and Rem. 40 gr JHP. Not all were DRT, but they eventually went down. Had one I hit initially at 70 yds or so, get up and run across an open field. Couldn't believe my eyes when he went down on the 2nd shot at about 140 yds. Both hits were in the shoulder area, but I have always thought he probably would have dropped at 150 yds if I had missed (not that I admitted anything like that at the time). Second bullet penetrated pretty well though. So, like many other calibers discussed on this and other threads, the 22 mag can do for a coyote if you do your part! But, I must add that I use a 223 most of the time!

Just recently my Ruger .22 mag got yet another critter, a bobcat. My son and I were out on the farm when I saw something that looked out of place, more like a rock that I didn't remember seeing before. When I looked through the scope I quickly learned it was a bobcat and not a rock. It was watching us, swishing it's tail and then turned it's head as if it were ready to leave. I didn't give it time to.

One shot at an estimated 70 yards or so and it dropped and didn't take a step. I used the same bullet as with the coyote, a Winchester 40 gr. HP.

The bullet hit where the shoulder meets the neck and completely penetrated the cat and exited on the opposite side, but up high near the spine. I think it probably hit bone which caused the bullet to change course since I was shooting downhill. It paralyzed the cat and I had to finish it, but the cat didn't move a step.

01-46.jpg

07-18.jpg

Win40grSuperX.jpg

One thing I noticed after skinning the cat is just how small a target it really was. This cat
was rather small anyway. The measured distance from top to bottom was only 4 inches.

I have killed alot of coyotes over the years with a 22 magnum, 150yds is pretty much max range in my opinion, easy on fur. Dang sure alot more powerful than a 22lr. The first coyote I ever killed was with a 22 mag close to 30yrs ago.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersLet's pull this up for another run on information about the 22 mag as a killer...

who has some NEW NEWS...?

Better question might be - who's been able to find 22WMR ammo on a shelf since the last time we kicked this particular can down the road to have even been able to come up with "new news?"

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: dan brothersLet's pull this up for another run on information about the 22 mag as a killer...

Better question might be - who's been able to find 22WMR ammo on a shelf since the last time we kicked this particular can down the road to have even been able to come up with "new news?"

I picked up 4 boxes of cci 40 gr. Jsp last week.

Last week i picked up 2 boxes of cci 40 gr hp at one store, 2 boxes of hornady 30 gr at another, and 2 boxes of federal 30gr at another, all were 2 box limit+ i picked up 17 hmr at several of these same places.Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: dan brothersLet's pull this up for another run on information about the 22 mag as a killer...

Man, I just thought that necroposting was a fad for right now, but the fact that this August of 2010 thread has been dug up FOUR TIMES makes me realize that folks have been pulling hatchets out of the dirt for a long time!

I still like the 50grn Federal, if/when I can find them. I've come around to realizing how much I believe in the philosophy that a larger bullet, even traveling slower, is going to penetrate better.

I've since found the Hornady Vmax stuff shoots best of of my rifle and I have killed a few coyotes with it. But I usually just hunt with centerfires, my 22 mag rides around in the truck. I saw I started this thread and was like, whuuuut? I don't remember that...lol

Hornady 30gr vmax are great shooters, but lately they are $25.00 a box of 50. Please. That just isn't worth it to me. I'll shoot the Hornet.

I like the 50gr Federal and my rifles like them too, but non existent.

The 40gr hp is hard to beat all around and will do what is needed from the cartridge buy them when you see them.

Back