Pistol caliber lever guns questions?

Originally Posted By: JonathanCoyote6974,
great gun man...I have loaded for a doz Marlins and three Micro Groved Barrels and I can tell you that the most accurate levers I own are Micro Groved!
The MG barrel requires a bullet a little larger to fit well but if you are willing to use the right bullet the barrels are capable of some outstanding accuracy!
checkout http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/
for molds made for your gun!
and you will be shoked with the groups that are possible!
0727012149a.jpg

0719012148a.jpg

Thanks for the info Johnathan. I don't cast my own bullets, but try to buy .431 sized bullets for my 1894 when I can. It took me bit to figure out what this rifle needed, but when I did it started shooting much better. I bought this rifle used at a gunshow before you could use pistol cartridge rifles in Indiana, so I got it for a song. I thought I'd been had until I finally figured out it needed larger bullets.

I have an 1894c in .357mag. I love the gun, but have been looking for some better sights. Anyone here have experience with skinner peep sights?
DaFUnk

I looked at them ..but I ended up getting the XS Ghost rings instead because I love the protectected wings for going through thick brush on bear hunts!

I've hunted with Stainless guns a lot and not had a problem, but they were sand blasted or whatever you call the rough finish. At least with Pistols I have hunted small game and never had a problem. I'm of the opinion that movement is the biggest thing they'll see, and there best sense in my humble opinion has always been smell.. They will lick there nose and be in the next zip code sometimes if they get wind of me before I can react.. !
I just like stainless for it's wearing properties and easy to maintain. I can always wrap it with camo tape or paint it. I've done a lot of rifles that way... I'm not one to worry about scratches, etc,.. Guns are like my guitars.. Tools to be used. I know a lot off collectors, etc, but not me.. hehe. I like to have fun too much..

Thanks for all the help..
Tim

Originally Posted By: BoeydafunkHow have the xs sights been?

They have been soild so far ...I am not a lover of irons as I much prefer optics but the XS ghost rings are fast and a much better choice when the chance of having a 400 lb bear up close and in your face while walking into the baits is...well a reality!

Last edited:
Johnathon.
I love that gun! It's stainless and just the perfect length for me. You say it shoots good? Have you tried it at 100 yards benched to see what it would do? If you don't mind me asking have you ever shot the 44 special bullet out of it? I love that little round. I used to shoot it out of the Charter Arms bulldog. We'd shoot these reloads that were loaded really light I guess at about 600FPS with lead bullets. I don't remember the weight, but in the range you can shoot and see them flying down range if the light was just right, and you were at the right angle. You'd see this flash of light off the round I think!
Anyway, I' waiting till I can find one used or new. I guess Remington took over the company I hear? I like Remington rifles so I hope they are as good quality as the old one's with the MG barrels, etc,. I shot the 30 30 rifle of my friends and it was ok but had a terrible trigger, but I'm used to bolt guns with good triggers, so I can always get a gunsmith to smooth that out..
Thanks
Tim

Originally Posted By: JonathanI love the Marlin 1894 .44 mag and although i have only used it for one year i have tottal confidence in it and it's abiltys...I have hit many ground hog out two two and even three hundread yards with 265gr Ranch dog hard cast bullets and it is a one hole gun at 50 yards all day long!
I wish I was able to use it for deer in my local season instead of a MZ loder or slug gun but yup pointy heads said no!
0730011209.jpg

0727012149a.jpg

0730011210a.jpg

0730011413.jpg

0723011423.jpg

0723011420.jpg

0723011423b.jpg

yes I love this thing....I think i shot around 200-225 ground hogs this year with it!! and on the cheap as you can see my loads are cast at home and I love that part too...with a Ranch dog mold (6cav)and SageOutdoors aluma checks I am loading for pennys and I am able to shoot thousands of rounds for peanuts!
Jonathan

I. Shooter I have not tried any 44 special rounds in it yet but I do like to shoot light rounds at the range with the kids!
I have shot off hand with it at 100 yards and I would say all my shots are om a playing card if I take my time!

Brad I think that you have been neglecting your 44-40's for to long lol...I think you would have a blast with them bro!

Back