Trail Cam Pics of coyotes killing a large buck

I know coyotes will and can kill healthy animals but that's not to say this deer was healthy. It could have been sick. Most livestock that I've seen killed by coyotes where either sick or calves. And most calves where killed by their mother accidentally stomping on them while trying to protect them. This has been my experience anyway.

Originally Posted By: DougKI have seen 2 coyotes chasing a medium sized doe. I dont know if they caught her but she looked healthy.
Not saying it couldn't happen. Im sure it does. The OP stated it was a healthy deer not knowing if it was or not. I have seen coyotes out in a field trying to chase deer. The deer would chase them off every time. Again not saying it couldn't happen. I just look at every angle.

Originally Posted By: DANNY-LMakes me want to gut shoot one and let his friends tear him apart while still alive.
It's just predator vs prey. As an ethical hunter I will always harvest an animal in an ethical way as not to have it suffer if I can help it.

Originally Posted By: hunting101Originally Posted By: DougKI have seen 2 coyotes chasing a medium sized doe. I dont know if they caught her but she looked healthy.
Not saying it couldn't happen. Im sure it does. The OP stated it was a healthy deer not knowing if it was or not. I have seen coyotes out in a field trying to chase deer. The deer would chase them off every time. Again not saying it couldn't happen. I just look at every angle.

Judging by the rack that the deer grew, it was likely in pretty good health...plus if you look at the time span that they were going at this deer, it lasted for a couple hours... again, showing it likely that it wasn't feeble or in too bad of health, or else i would think it would have succumbed alot quicker. Anything is possible, but a large racked deer (sign of good health) that lasts for hours through an attack is a pretty good indication the deer was in decent shape at the on-set.

Last edited:
I posted this on another thread showing those trail cam pics:

I was throwing out some old Field and Stream that was given to me and stumbled across this little window caption:

Field and Stream - May 2011

"Two years ago, we reported on groundbreaking research indicating that coyotes are taking a much bigger than expected bite out of whitetail populations in the southeastern U.S., where the song dog has little competition from other predators. Now, preliminary findings of a new study on a 350-square-mile area in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - home to bears, bobcats and two wolf packs - suggest that even in this predator-rich environment, coyotes remain the #1 four-legged whitetail killer. It's another shocking development that has biologists totally rethinking the coyote-whitetail relationship."

I really don't understand the reluctance to understand that coyotes can, will, and do take down healthy deer.

Originally Posted By: Crimson Raptor

I really don't understand the reluctance to understand that coyotes can, will, and do take down healthy deer.

I have seen deer that were clearing downed by coyotes. There is no question in my mind that they are bringing down deer.

I just wish they brought down raccoons........

Just last night in my deer stand. I witnessed a coyote chase a 1.5 yr old buck nearly 500 yards in a big circle. Neither deer nor coyote were ever at a full speed, the yote just dogged him from about 30 yds behind the whole time. From what I could tell, the young buck was healthy. I knew something was up, because just before I spotted the young buck with coyote behind, about 12-15 does exited the field in a hurry. Figured there was a yote pokin around, but didn't figure he'd have his sights set on a big kill.

Been very mild lately and as early as it is, I figured there would be much easier prey available.

Up here we are thick as thiefs with coyotes, bad enough that a bounty was put on them. Can not even take the dog out in the quarter section of property behind my house. They will pace you and your dog trying to entice the dog to leave your side. It is only a matter of time before a person gets attacked. Now I take my 6-284 with me and to date probably shot at least a dozen with my faithfull chocolat lab by my side. I am now in the process of filling my wood shed with coyotes to take in for the bounty money.

Crimson Raptor said: "I really don't understand the reluctance to understand that coyotes can, will, and do take down healthy deer."

That echo's my same thoughts. I've found way too many dead deer around coyote dens. I can't believe people are still in denial that coyotes kill deer of all ages. Cougars, bears, and wolves, get most of the blame, but the fact of the matter is, coyotes kill more than the whole lot of them combined. Especially during the fawning season. The obvious is out there if people just spend time outside instead of hypothisizing from their armchair.

I really think that a lot of people don't want to believe that a coyote can do such a thing. I was talking to a friend and asked him if he wanted to go coyote hunting. He said nah. To much like shooting a dog. I think people think of a coyote as a scavanger not as a killer. They don't want the "wild dogs" to be bothered. They aren't doing any harm.

My first duty station as a young Trooper was the Quabin reservoir. This is the largest unfiltered fresh water drinking supply in the world, supplying metropolitan Boston. The Quabin is app 25,000 acres of water surrounded by 81,000 acres of land. The barracks overlooks the reservoir and you can see about 8-10 miles out. Every winter when the ice was frozen, coyotes would chase deer onto the ice and attack them. This was repeated 3-5 times a month until ice out in clear view of the barracks. I have read many times coyotes don't hunt in packs. I have seen it, with packs numbering over a dozen (largest one over 20-can't give you an accurate number because the don't stand still long enough). I have also read many times coyotes do not take healthy deer. Again, I have seen it. It (like the slide show) is sickening to watch. Coyotes surround the deer and keep harassing it. Always going in from the back. When the deer goes down, they all rush to the back end. Watching coyotes pull the intestines out of a live deer will leave a scar on you. The only good thing is nothing goes to waste. The few I took the snow machine out to investigate, by the next day, the only thing left was the spine and hide frozen to the ice. I have also heard that a deer that falls on the ice cannot get back up. Not true. I understand this is nature, I just don't like it. (Don't care much for taxes either).

Last edited:
That yote just kept "doggin" that buck for over two hours and there was a second coyote involved. Perhaps through out the entire ordeal... I've long suspected this. Now proof on video.
that was kind of hard to watch .
It's no wonder I'm seeing less deer this season.
Oh, there has been a documented case of coyote killing a human. Just last year in Canada a pack of several coyotes mauled a 19 year old girl (a know folk singer) she died the next day.
I don't go unarmed , in the woods with my dog or in town with my family.

Predators are out there.
lets shoot straight.

That was a perfectly healthy buck, probably 3 1/2 years old. As someone already pointed out, the sequence takes place over a couple of hours, and it had been going on longer, judging from the # of bites the buck had already sustained when the sequence began.

Anyone who believes this was yotes taking down a sick animal must be from Pinellas County Florida.

Back