Hunting in windy conditions?

Do any of y'all have luck with the coyotes on windy days? The wind is blowing around 15 to 20 mph, any suggestions or tricks on how to hunt them in theses conditions?

Get into draws, thickets, washes, or other cover where the wind may be blocked a bit and try it. Out in the wide open with wind may be a bit tougher (depending on the adaptions of the coyotes in your area).

Of all weather conditions, wind reportedly has the greatest effect on coyote movement. I'm sure where that line get's drawn is a regional thing, and would be greatly influenced by "normal" weather and wind conditions in a specific area. Meaning, if the coyotes in your specific area are accustomed to a 15 MPH wind, kicking that up to 20 is likely to have minimal effect on their movement.

Many people are successful calling in and killing coyotes while it's windy out. I don't think any of them did that from their couch, so get out there and give it a try.

I know how this 30-40 mph wind with 50 mph gusts we got today is affecting me. I'm going to sit in the house and get my pawn star on.

20mph would be a blessing right now. Tomorrow we are supposed to get 90mph sustained wind. Wednesday my girlfriend and I were out hunting in the wind with gusts that clocked up to 135mph! Dont know why we were out in it, the animals sure werent! But to answer your question, get out of the wind where ever you can and get after em!

I have a friend in New Mexico that puts his Fury up wind several hundred yards. He said his remote works great and he can hear the caller downwind pretty easy. When the coyotes circle downwind of the caller they are in between him and the caller. Works for him!!!

Originally Posted By: Call-and-Kill20mph would be a blessing right now. Tomorrow we are supposed to get 90mph sustained wind. Wednesday my girlfriend and I were out hunting in the wind with gusts that clocked up to 135mph! Dont know why we were out in it, the animals sure werent! But to answer your question, get out of the wind where ever you can and get after em!
135 mph winds? Umm, that might have been a tornado.

Originally Posted By: RubenatorOriginally Posted By: Call-and-Kill20mph would be a blessing right now. Tomorrow we are supposed to get 90mph sustained wind. Wednesday my girlfriend and I were out hunting in the wind with gusts that clocked up to 135mph! Dont know why we were out in it, the animals sure werent! But to answer your question, get out of the wind where ever you can and get after em!
135 mph winds? Umm, that might have been a tornado.

I guess tornado is one word for it...me, I probably would have labled it bullschet.

Its no BS, on the eastern slope of the rocky front from Choteau to East Glacier 100+ mph winds is a pretty regular thing. Not classified as a tornado because its not a twister, its just really frequent high winds coming off of the high mountain peaks. It does suck indeed and thats what ruined this regions hunting season entirely. Big game kills were down 80% due to winds not letting up.

Back