I need some new waders (Duck Hunting)

pahntr760

This may be more pertinent to the bird hunting sub-forum, but i figure I may get more traffic here. So....

I need a new set of Duck Hunting Waders! I hunt in Northern Utah, and it gets pretty cold at times. (below 0*) I am fairly warm blooded, but I think 1000g Thinsulate, or close, would work. I’m 5’9” 165 lbs, so I don’t see the need for Big or tall. Budget is right around $200.
I was looking at some Drake brand waders, but they get some LOW reviews on durability. What are you guys using now, and what would you recommend?

Currently, I have some inexpensive RedHead brand neoprene waders from Bass Pro. They work, but id like some more insulation (they are 600s currently) and maybe a bit better construction?

Shane I like the breathable waders from cabelas. I will not go bad to neoprene. I paid $180 for em the olny thing I wish they was thinsulate in the boots. Other than that I love mine.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Yeah, I was looking over there. That site has come a long ways in its time.

OK, FB...I kow it gets really cold up there in MN, but I see they have 2400! GRAM waders....You have got to be joking! I could go barefoot in those things!!

Anyways, I was looking at these...I like the little call loops!
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=573584

Whats sad is I was looking at them 2400 ones. Sure would be nice when you got to stand in water after breaking ice. But they would only get used a week or two a year.

Waders? Use a speedo, tennis shoes, and tough it out like a Man..
lol.gif
Maybe some camo stick to rub on the shiney spots.

FB...My buddy has 1600 and wears em all season. Sweats in the early and is warm till the end. The 2400 seem a bit over the top.

Grant...Eww..thats all I have to say...

Originally Posted By: Mike21$200?

1,000 grams of Thinsulate?

Tough as nails?

BAM!

smile.gif

Had a pair of them. Seams always leaked and the boot tore in half after two years.

Them or the frogtogs. I might be going with the frogs. From what I have seen they are as good as any. I like the water proof inside pocket they have and the boots fit good.

Wonder who makes them for the guide gear ones?

Get the Husky. You can layer under them alot easier. Easier to get on and off. You will aprreciate them when breakfast hits you in the colon. 5mm neoprene is hotter but will hold up better than 3mm.

Last edited:
Yeah, 5mil are a must. Platinum Coating or similar. 1000-1200 gram thinsulate. I was looking at some "husky" ones with cinch straps on the rib area. They seem ideal. I think I will just wait till these ones die. They are in great shape for 4-5 years old. They don't leak, I've fixed a couple very small nicks, so. We will see

You might want to check rogers sporting goods. They had some killer deals earlier this fall. My cousin ordered some that were more than $100 off regular price and they had free shipping on them as well. Quality stuff too. I think the ones he got were made by Columbia. I think they are 1600 gram.

I go to Rogers all the time and its great place great deals too. I have heard the bad reviews on the drake gear waders but I have had mine for 3 years no and not a leak yet. Love em i have the LST 1600 gr ones and they are warmest most convenient waders Ive ever owned. I hunt 4-6 days a week from halloween to new years and the only complaint I have on them is their not the best for walkin hunting. Little heavy due to all the insulation but Ill never buy another brand of waders. Ive had mad dog, cabelas, hodgman,and a few others before

Back