Remington 7400???

Originally Posted By: hunt-m-upIf you like the handling, etc of the 7400 look for a 7600 pump. A whole different animal and fun to shoot. Around here you'll see 10 used 7400's in the shop for every used 7600. Many of them are expensive single shots.

+1... I have a 760 in .308. I don't hunt with it much but wouldn't ever worry about it jamming at a critical moment either

Poor maintenance can kill any gun, especially semi-auto’s and a poorly maintained chamber is a knife to the heart of a semi-auto. Smart owners make good use of that chamber brush and chamber mop. Remington also has poorly designed magazines that cause jamming problems for them. Nobody really understands why Remington has never really given that issue some serious attention to resolve that problem. You can buy new magazines until you find one that works in a particular gun, which is a pain in the rear and expensive.

However the biggest issue for those that really like to shoot their rifles is the bolt rails in the rear of the receiver tend to become extremely battered. This occurs after shooting higher volumes of shells than the casual shooter normally does and very often will eventually begin to cause malfunctions. In worst case situations these bolt rails become so battered it renders the gun inoperable tying up the bolt and locking it to the rear. I’ve seen Remington quoted as saying the service life of this model was 1,000 rounds and that would do for the casual once a year “deer hunter” that shoots only a box or two of shells per year. Probably true… Yet this is why many gun shops won’t take an older well used Remington semi-auto on trade because they know it has great potential to cause them warranty problems. There used to be a couple shops that specialized in converting the Remington semi-auto to a pump conversion after the bolt rail chatter issue locked up the gun. In today’s world that is cost prohibitive and those shops no longer perform the work. It is a well documented event and there is information available if one wants to investigate it.

I also have a .308 in a 760. Love that gun! It is acceptably accurate and very reliable. I broke the fore end stock and replaced it with a B&C, but I would like to get a new wood one when I have the funds/time to devote to it. The 760 is widely used in NW PA for deer.

I had one in .30-06. I regret selling it. A semi in any of the larger calibers would be neat.

Don't remember it jamming but if you're dialed in and a get a good shot, so what?
smile.gif
They're good looking guns, accurate enough and not made any more.

At one time most of my family and friends owned a 740/742/74/7400, except me. The family was into deer hunting with dogs (illegal, but they did it anyway) and they were taking close shots as a deer bailed across a clearing. Firepower was the order of the day. Problem though was that the rifles jammed too much from bad mags, or neglect.

My gunsmith hated them. He said they had four weaknesses; lack of accuracy, too much crud in the action causing pitting, poor quality bolt rails that galled, and bad magazines. I have shot a total of 3 that were accurate, and at least a dozen that I wouldn't take home if offered for free. This past week I talked a friend out of buying one for his 14 year old son. He bought him a stainless 700 instead.

Maybe they were lucky or maintained them good, but my dad and uncles all had 742's back in the 70's and never had any problems wih them. They also probably never shot over 1 box a year through them, between checking sights and hunting.
I bought my wife a 7400 that my son now has with no problems. Also with a low round count, maybe 100 rounds in 20 years.

Shayne

Besides the replies stated here do a internet search and you'll find most reviews are a lot less than favorable.

If you want a semi auto BAR is the way to go. Better accuracy and WAY better reliability compared to Remington's semi autos.

Back