Need your experience on a high end upper!

cgilly

I am looking at putting my first AR together for coyote calling, prairie dog shooting, target shooting, etc. I like shooting steel and prairie dogs at longer ranges probably 600 with the calibers I am looking at, coyotes would obviously be shorter shots. I have narrowed it down to 3 options unless someone enlightens me on a better one

1) D Tech upper in 22 DTI with fluted barrel and integral break and a 23 inch barrel. 5 month build time

2) JP enterprises JP-15 upper in 204 ruger, 22 inch barrel with break and thermal dissapator. 4-6 weeks

3) Putting together my own with parts that I want, most of them are JP (handguard, possibly barrel) 3-4 weeks wating on parts and putting it together, maybe shorter.

After pricing these out I am looking at a price range of $1000-$1300 for the two custom and very close to if not over $1000 building my own with the parts I have looked at. Sure I could get lower with a cheaper barrel and build one for proabably $800 or so but from what I have read the barrel and trigger are the 2 most important factors of accuracy on an ar-15.

I am looking for anyone who has either one of these custom uppers or has built one that may have suggestions. I am looking at 204 or 22 DTI mainly for the velocity they produce and accuracy of the round or at least from what I have read on the 22 dti. I have a 204 bolt rifle and like the ballistics I get with it and the accuacy with handloads. I would like a little heavier bullet for coyotes but the 40 gr bergers have not failed yet so that isnt a deal braker.

Thanks

I have two rifles from www.jprifles.com. I am in the process of my ordering my third one from them. I have a .223 amd a .204. Both are highly accurate and shoot 1/4 MOA with the right load and in the right hands. I have killed many coyotes with both. I found the 204 really likes 32 and 40 grain Hornady VMax. I have shot under .248 with both of those factory loads. The 223 loves the 53 grain Hornady and will also shoot very tight groups. Both have killed many coyotes DRT. I am sure there are other good brands but with a JP custom rile you are sure to be thrilled. Pure quality. They always tell me 6 weeks but it never takes that long. Thier service is as good as it gets.

yoda glad to hear it about the jp's I felt pretty good about the service on the product after talking to one of the very knowledgable employees today. Just curious do either of your's have their compensator on the end? if so what kind of noise/blast increase have you experienced? I realize niether of them have a lot of recoil but for quick follow ups and keeping small targets in the fov it may be handy.

My .223 has the standard compensator and the .204 has the large compensator. They work great and I don't notice any additional noise blast. With the adjustble gas system you can have very quick follow up shots with a high degree of accuracy. They also have offer a recoil elimanator but I didn't see the use for it with a 223 or a 204. Both rifles are very accurate. I have shot quite a few groups shooting quickly and the results are really good. It's a big change from 1965 and the AR they gave me then. I wish I had known JP before the Marine Coprs and Vietnam.

glad to hear the JPs shoot. i just bought one of their side charging .223 complete uppers and i'm waiting on a lower to be built. with the cash i've got into that thing i sure hope it shoots.

another that hasn't been mentioned is the White Oak upper. i've got one in .204 that shoots extremely well with factory hornadys.

+1 for white oak

I'd recommend building your own. Buy a quality upper receiver, send it to Dtech for him to true the front of it, and then put a white oak or Noveske barrel on it. You won't be disappointed.

I have two of the older style JP vtac handguards (one on a white oak 18" barrel). They're a pain to install... Just giving you a heads up. Look at the newer style ones, or even the troy extreme/alpha lines.

Cartridge aside, another vendor is Compass Lake Engineering for a 223 upper, with a Krieger barrel and whichever bullet suits you (maybe a 69 or 77 SMK for 600yds?). Of course JP and DTI have great reputations as well as products and are local (for me) plus Kies and DPMS. Lots of options.

Enjoy

I have a custom built upper in .204 with a 1/12 twist Douglas XX Match SS barrel, with a custom cut chamber for shooting 39 & 40 gr bullets... While it is extremely accurate, I would think that expectations for 600 yards would be pushing it's envelope...Maybe a 1/10 twist and chambered for using 50gr Bergers would work better...

I've also had Dedicated Technology (Mike Mili) build me a custom upper with a ,223 Oly SUM fluted and free floated barrel in a slow twist (1/14) for shooting lighter weight bullets at long ranges that were pumped up for flat trajectories...Here again, 600 yards would be a little over it's normal potential...While it would handle bullets up to 55gr, I then had to slow down the speed and plan on a different trajectory factor...

For extreme accuracy at those distances, I think you will need to consider something with a little longer and heavier bullet...

Part of the challenge of shooting 600 with a 204 is the lighter 40 gr bullets, but with hand loads it is suprising the accuracy at that distance achievable at least with my bolt gun in 204. I mainly want velocity so a 223 with a 69 grain bullet is under 3000 fps so thats why I was looking for a "wildcat" like the DTI that could increase the velocity with heavier bullets to 3000+. I also looked at specialized dynamics for an upper but have not been able to get in touch with them via phone yet to get a price and see what options I they offer. Thanks for the replys and good info any other suggestions are welcome

Back