skunk calling

COYKILL

Can skunks be called in? I have a picture of three skunks behind my house on my deer gut pile and want to put some lead in those lawn diggers. Also, The one skunk has no stripe on it and wondering how to skin a stinky skunk. I know how to skin them but what about the stink.

shot one last year thatwas messing with my deer hanging in the yard. as long as they dont spray its alright and if you can get the stink sack out it sells for 60$ an ounce. the fur is pretty [beeep] nice too. dont think you can call them but check to see if you can bait for them.

I dont know about calling them but, for what its worth Ive
disposed of tons of skunks over the last few years and its pretty rare that they dont spray. Even drowning them they still spray, My theory is that their scent glands are under
pressure and when they expire it relaxes and they spray.
but thats just observation not necessarily fact.

Casey

I can't seam to kill one without it letting loose.

I have never called one, but have been skunked calling more times than I care to remember.

I killed and skinned one around 3 or so weeks ago. I don't think it sprayed but it was pretty ripe. I skinned it from a fence post and carried it in a plastic trash bag to keep some of the smell out of my garage. I often use a pressure washer to flesh and that is what really helped.I tan my own stuff and the degreasing agent I use doubles as a cleaner. After that, and neutralizing it after the pickle in a baking soda solution, it didn't smell at all. I hear if you make a hydrogen peroxide and baking soda solution, that works pretty good if you just wanna put the fur up. I'd watch the peroxide though- unless you want an orange skunk.

I've never called one. I just shoot them on occasion when I'm out if I see them. Don't forget to wear gloves. They are notorious carriers of rabies.

If you do try calling them maybe Prairie Dog Distress would sound kind of like a skunk or FoxPro R07 Vole Squeaks may work.

I have trapped them but my traps are freshly waxed and I don't want to get the traps all smelly. I went out last night and shot a opossum trying to get a skunk.

I had one come in to a mouse sqeeker as well...saw it first then tried calling and it worked. Cant really say about how to not have them spray, it was pretty much just a stinky pile of guts after meeting with the .300

I had one come in one night to yellowhammer woodpecker. We were in a high rack hunting a contest and it was kind of hard to not be preoccupied with the skunk that was crawling around underneath the pickup.

Originally Posted By: Brendan43 I hear if you make a hydrogen peroxide and baking soda solution, that works pretty good if you just wanna put the fur up.

mix 16 oz of hydrogen peroxide with equal ammount of baking soda and add 2 squirts of dawn dishwashing soap. the dish soap cuts the oil/grease of the essence. use this on my terriers whrn they skunk. it dont get rid of all the stink but it will camouflage it some.

Originally Posted By: COYKILLI have trapped them but my traps are freshly waxed and I don't want to get the traps all smelly. I went out last night and shot a opossum trying to get a skunk.

I'm glad to get a skunk in my trap when setting dirt sets for fox or coyote. Fresh skunk will bring em in.

As for not having them spray. About the best place to shoot them is in the brain stem. Not 100% spray free everytime but trying to hit that little spot on a live animal can prove to be tricky.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Muppetmowershot one last year thatwas messing with my deer hanging in the yard. as long as they dont spray its alright and if you can get the stink sack out it sells for 60$ an ounce. the fur is pretty [beeep] nice too. dont think you can call them but check to see if you can bait for them.

muppetmower, if i can send you some skunk essence will you pay me $50.00 a ounce? i'll do all the stinky work and you can sell it for $60.00 a ounce. it's going for $8.00 a ounce here
cool.gif
talked to a fur buyer today that has 200 ounces... would love to be the middle man.
grin.gif

Back