Two rifles, same load, lucky dog.

klf

I was wondering how common this is. I have been running an Ar with a 24" bull barrel by Shaw for about six months now. It consistently runs groups in the sub 1/2 minute range with the load I worked up for it. Two weeks ago I purchased a Remington 5R in .223. I have worked up a load that constantly produces groups in the .3 range. The load is a Sierra 60 grain varmeteer on top of 22.8 grains of AA 2460. Both have Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 scopes sitting on Millett tactical rings. After confirming the load for the 5R I decided to load a few to try in my AR. To my surprise the load ran great in both rifles. The range conditions were terrible with a constant rain and light wind. I was firing from a covered bench. My three shot groups were scary small but idiot stick here had to get greedy and shoot five shot groups. That opened the 5R up to the .7 range and the AR to the.4 range. I am eager to repeat this when the conditions are better. The only difference in the load is the re sizing methods used. I full length for the AR and neck size for the 5R. Is anyone having the same luck in multiple guns with the same load? Also how much inconsistency will the rain introduce into the groups? Shoot safe.
thumbup1.gif

1002181y.jpg
1002179p.jpg

luck of the draw!!
I have a savage 243 and the boy has a Remington . To get any kind of group we have to keep the loads separate, they both shoot 1/2 groups with there own shells it opens to over an inch if we mix'm around...

Not uncommon but you sure cannot count on it either. I have a load that shoots in 4 of 5 .223's but have to change bullets to get the other to shoot that load great.

Last edited:
Both My 6.8 uppers shoot the same 110gr sierra prohunter, and 95gr Barnes TTSX loads. It is very nice to not have to try to keep different loads separate for different rifles of the same caliber.

My Bolt .204 and AR .204 do not both like the loads, so my ammo boxes have to be labeled AR and BOLT. It's not too hard to keep them separate though because the bolt likes Vmax bullets and the AR likes cheap ol dogtown bullets.

I also have several diferent .223 loads to keep track of, so Ya it's nice when you can get them to like the same load.

Nice shooting BTW.:)

I lucked out as well with both my AR's
My Pet load for my 16" RRA 1:8 is also my Pet load
for my 18" SD 1:9
Both shoot around .5" -.75 MOA

Last edited:
This weekend I discovered my old standby 50gr. V-max load for my RRA A4 varmint 1-8" twist shoots very well in my Baikal IZH-94 combo gun with slower twist. First was the RRA at 189yds prone with 3x-9x gameseeker.
AR189yds11-20-11.jpg

Then the Baikal at 100yds prone with 4x-12x Nikon Buckmasters and same load. The ones in the black are at 50yds.
Baikal100ydsgroup11-20-11.jpg

The black dots are the shoot-n-see repair dots.

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYThis weekend I discovered my old standby 50gr. V-max load for my RRA A4 varmint 1-8" twist shoots very well in my Baikal IZH-94 combo gun with slower twist. First was the RRA at 189yds prone with 3x-9x gameseeker.
AR189yds11-20-11.jpg

Then the Baikal at 100yds prone with 4x-12x Nikon Buckmasters and same load. The ones in the black are at 50yds.
Baikal100ydsgroup11-20-11.jpg

The black dots are the shoot-n-see repair dots.

Great shooting!

Back