Tips For Gray Fox?

Cal Kellogg

The Grey Fox season in my area is about to open. I've called a couple in, but now with my cat on the wall, I'm looking for a Big full mount fox...I saw an awesome one just the other day, but the season wasn't open and I only want one if I can get it to respond to the call, not an accidental encounter....Do you think that fox may still be in the area? How big of a territory do they usually have? What calls work best? Any general or specific tips from the fox killers out there????

Thanks in Advance, Cal

Not sure if you are using mouth calls or ecalls.

For Daytime Greys:

I would use a high pitch cottontail mouth call and a Kettle creek "Griz N Grey" distress call (it makes a superb grey fox distress)

If you have access to a FOXPRO use sound number L57 Eastern Cottontail and C85 Platinum Grey. Start with the rabbit for 5 minutes, then move to the fox distress (most of the time you will have a fox between the 5 and 8 minute mark)

img-5759xx.jpg

These Arizona Greys were taken yesterday by our group (4 people on stand) while filming using the above technique

Been Killing greys since I was a kid. Here in PA I only get them to respond at night. Best sound ever created for greys is the original Johnny Stewart "Grey Fox Pup Distress". That sound has probably taken more grey fox then all the rest combined. The Foxpro "Screamin Grey" works good as well. They are hard chargers most of the time to calling. I usually don't stay on stand for more than 6-8 minutes.
Greys typically inhabit brushy areas, same areas I hunt cottontail. They have a relatively small range as opposed to reds.
P1250309.jpg

P2050191.jpg

chet002-13.jpg

chet001-5.jpg

chet002-4.jpg

P2120314.jpg

Cal, to date I have never shot a Fox, but have called many in. The places that I call them I rarely call Coyotes. Since Coyotes kill Foxes, its kinda understandable. Id target woods with not much Coyote activity. Eldorado forest during the winter has not produced many Coyotes for me, but the foxes ran right up to My Buddy's back porch with just a hand call. Summer monthes I have called in Coyotes there. Just My experience thus far. Good luck.

Gray female taken with a .204 Ruger.....

Called using Lightning Jack on a Foxpro.......

On my two outings so far this year, I've called 4 and all but one showed up right away.

a07cfea7-1.jpg

Last edited:
I look for really thick brushy and rocky areas. Foxes are all over, but I have found high concentrations in those areas. I tend to get into washes and call into steep draws and canyons. I am with the other guys, the high pitch calls work great, I will also scout on my way into an area and see what food sources are available. If I see a lot of jackrabbit sign, I will throw more jackrabbit calls. Bird calls also work well, use birds that are prevalent in those areas.

Here is a pic of my friend Steve with a grey that we called up in the rocks of AZ.

IMG_0188.jpg

Good luck, I look forward to seeing some great pics of your future foxes.

In Cali we can't use electronics for Grey Fox.

They usually hang out in more dense, bobcat like areas. Once you find an area with them and call one in keep calling...real common to call another.

i would say that more gray have have been laid out with those old johnny Stewart and burnham bros game calls than any others combined.

If the sign points to a fox, or I am in a spot that I think is a "Grey Fox" spot. Its Psyco Tweety.

I have never had a 'yote respond to it, but the Foxes, esp. the greys, come running.

"Blue jay distress" or "Pheasant distress" from the foxpro work ok too, but I am just starting to mess with the e-call, so would still favor the psyco tweety hand call.

Back