Browning xbolt re barel

Yep.

22-250 has a .473 bolt face. 204 has a .378.

Hopefully it doesn't have the same pot metal steel as some A-bolts, which have been known to strip the threads upon trying to remove the barrel. A big reason why some smiths will not touch them........

Bull Chit

Bob Green (one of the most respected gunsmiths in the country) will rebarrel all the Brownings you want to bring to him. And I guarantee you they'll shoot when he's done with em.
Don't believe me? Call him and ask him how many of the hundreds he's done that "Stripped" the threads when removing the barrel.
Like any trade, just cause a guy's got a sign saying he's an "expert" doesn't necessarily mean he is one.
Kevin Weaver, Greg Tannel, Pac-Nor, Lilja, and even Shaw are happy to work on Brownings.
Please post the names and numbers of these alleged "Smiths" that won't work on Brownings.
Also list sources that can prove (not just your opinion) that Browning actions/barrels are "Potmetal".
Otherwise, quit hiding under the bridge just waiting to tell someone that spends their hard earned money on a Browning what a POS their rifle is.
It really does get pathetic. Trust me,,, I'm not the only one that feels that way, so give it a frikin rest for crying out loud..

Back on topic. The bolt face is another story.
Probably have to buy a new bolt, which would make the project pretty pricey.
Luck

Last edited:
No not BS. Regardless of what Bob Green(A-bolt smith extraordinare) has done, can do, or will do, many a threads have been stripped upon the removal of A-bolt barrels. It is a fact, whether you care to admit it or not. Maybe due to inexperienced smiths not heating them up or using Kroil, maybe due to improper technique, maybe due to the anti-seize compound they put on them, or using an improper action wrench. I don't know. But I do know that threads should not "tear" in the process.

If you say he has done it successfully, that is good enough for me. I believe you. I also believe you that they will shoot. Why shouldn't I? Someone has to know how to do it.

But let's face it, I don't think the custom A-bolt market is too lucrative, nor will it ever be, for numerous reasons.......

Wow. For someone who is supposedly so tired of hearing me dog on A-borts, you sure are wanting to talk about them a lot lately aren't you? Seems if I even mention the name, you are right there on cue, ready to cry me a river.

We've been down this road Charlie. They are a POS IMO and always will be. Deal with it. If the A-bort was worth a crap, the X-bolt would not exist. 5-6 years ago I stated my feelings on the "shortcomings" of A-bolt design. That information is well documented. Low and behold, WA-LA, these issues get addressed in a completely new rifle design. Almost like magic, huh? Almost like I actually knew of what I spoke.

After the A-bort gets phased out all together and is no longer produced, are you going to be telling me of what a legendary design it was? Maybe pre-2012 Brownings will be the hottest thing since pre-64 Winchesters
lol.gif

Also, let us not forget about the "A-bolt II redesign" in 1994 in which they attempted to improve the trigger and bolt design. Not sure what they think they improved
confused.gif

How about you tell me how many of those custom smiths (whose names you like to throw around) actually USE a custom A-bolt
laugh.gif
Never seen a pic of a custom A-bort on Weaver's, Tannel's, or Greene's website. Have you? Matter of fact, I have never seen a pic of a custom A-bort ony ANY smiths website. How many of the "award winning custom rifles" of which they boast of building are/were A-borts? I'm going to go with NONE on that one.

Just cuz you want to start an arguement, doesn't mean I'm gonna give you one. A-bolts just not worth my time any more, and I've no intent on carrying on this "conversation" any further with you.

So feel free to jump up on your soap box and defend the A-bort any time you want. Continue to butcher every thread there is. That is obviously your intent. I really don't care. I'm quite aware of what the A-bort is, and what it isn't........

I too think it would be cheaper to buy a new gun. I know nothing about Brownings but I've rebarreled a few guns. I always try to stay with the same bolt face to keep costs reasonable.

Ok I have searched Brownings site and I don't think they make a 204 anymore so I can't just buy a new gun
I have 2 in 22-250 and would like to have one in 204

If I had to buy a bolt and barel how much you guys think????

Originally Posted By: VaughanOriginally Posted By: Mike21Group Hug.
blink.gif
You want to come to the campfire, Frozenbutt is bringing some good duck.

lol, I'm down for some roasted duck.
tongue.gif

I'd hate to take a guess at what it would cost you. Now you're talking about a new bolt which will add to the price of a barrel and whatever work is needed.

The last gun I had rebarreled was around $500. That was 5 years ago and no bolt replacement.

No, he'd have at least 3 as he now has 2 Brownings.

I was wondering about the wisdon of dropping a cartridge like the .22-250 but if you have 2 rifles in the same chambering that's a different story.

I'm no expert but you'd need a bolt from a .223 and a new barrel. For the barrel you need to go aftermarket which wouldn't bother me at all. I just think the project is to pricey.

Back