Deer - BLACK bear caliber

wraithen

Ok, I don't want to start a war and if my state allowed I'd use my .223 on deer. It's a big enough round for a 200 lb bad guy but not enough for bambi?! Aside from that I'm looking for advice on a caliber that won't destroy deer but will still be effective on black bear. I'm thinking .308 so I can get into the AR club. I'm thinking an FMJ or JSP for black bear should be a good round? I don't wanna start a war on this subject and a .338 lapua or RUM or WM is not an option. Am I crazy for wanting to hunt such a broad scope of animals with just one caliber?

Last edited:
My grandfather used to go to Virginia every year to hunt deer and after that black bear. He only carried one gun for both, but he swore by it......

.35 Remington.
smile.gif

"It shoots a 200 grain Freight Train."
laugh.gif

But, I wouldn't recommend it nowadays, simply from an availability standpoint. (Ammo, brass, etc...) But it sure is a great 100-150 yd. caliber.

haha sounds like a good time. I doubt my shoulders would wanna play for long [beeep]. I also forgot to mention that I wanted something that would also be friendly to mountain lions. Doubt I'll ever get one but wanna have the option if possible.

35 Remington is still very available and chambered for factory rifles. But in an AR. I would go with the 338 Federal. It will most likley do less meat damage on a deer than a 308 does. I've shot some deer with the 308 and a bunch with the 338 Win Mag. The 308 ruined more meat.

Originally Posted By: gumboot45835 Remington is still very available and chambered for factory rifles. But in an AR. I would go with the 338 Federal. It will most likley do less meat damage on a deer than a 308 does. I've shot some deer with the 308 and a bunch with the 338 Win Mag. The 308 ruined more meat.

If by very available in factory rifles you mean only Marlin, then yes, very available.
tongue.gif

Brass is getting rough to get without really paying for it.

Back on topic, i'm not much on AR's, so i'm gonna say that .270 would be fine for black bear in a traditional gun.

Now, Grizzly/Brown bear would be another story, strictly IMO. It could do it, I just don't know that I would want to do it.
tongue.gif

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of throwing the smallest round down at something that can slap me once and end my ability to walk. With that said, .270 sounds a bit small, I have heard great things about the 338 fed. Great things until I mention that I don't handload.

Smallest?

To often we underestimate just what it is our weapons do.....

I guess if you must have a shoulder cannon, then you must have it.

Good luck.
thumbup1.gif

Haha, I was actually trying to say that I didn't want to be anywhere near either extreme for caliber. If I were to use a 270 though which bullet type (off the shelf already combined to make a complete round) should I be looking at for bear? Cougar?

It appears I misunderstood your post slightly then, my apologizes.....

For Black Bear and Cougar, I wouldn't be afraid of my .270. Organ Failure is Organ Failure.

There are many factory solid, large game bullet offerings that are suitable. Remington, Hornaday, Federal, etc..

If brown bear is what you want, by all means, go with the shoulder cannon. I would.
laugh.gif

Your post reads deer - brown bear, brown bear and black bear are totally diiferent beast. For a good deer/brown bear I'd go with the larger calibers you are trying to avoid, .300 win mag, 7mm rum etc your talking about a rather larger animal that can do some damage. However if your talking deer/black bear (in lower 48) then anything from the .30/.30 up will be fine. The .270 with something like a nosler partition and good shot placement will work great.

As for the meat damage, lay off the front shoulder and there is no meat damage, I don't know many people who keep the ribs. I can deer hunt with my .300win and still have a full deer at the end of the day.

Buying guns is always fun soon you'll have 3 for bear and 6 for deer lol

There is a little known caliber that is like the 35 Remington on steroids. It's the .358 Winchester. Simply a .308 necked up to 35 caliber. Check it out in any reloading manual and see if it is not one of the best all round calibers you can shoot. I have a custom build .358 on a Remington action and a Browning BLR and either one will do the trick on bear, deer, hogs and anything else you want to hunt. As far as the brown bear hunt, .338 Winchester Magnum as a minimum.

For the record. I killed a Canadien black bear with my 270. One shot, done. I also killed a large Canadien Moose with the same rifle, same trip..

The thread title says Brown Bear. The post content says Black Bear.

Now for Brown Bear the smallest I'd consider carring is 300 winnie.. More likely 338 or larger.. All the guides I had in Canada carried 338's.

Anything suitable (IMO-.25 on up)for deer and black bears will almost certainly work on brown bears.However I'm not that brave so I'll take a .338 Win Mag minimum for them.

Originally Posted By: wraithenOk, I don't want to start a war and if my state allowed I'd use my .223 on deer. It's a big enough round for a 200 lb bad guy but not enough for bambi?! Aside from that I'm looking for advice on a caliber that won't destroy deer but will still be effective on black bear. I'm thinking .308 so I can get into the AR club. I'm thinking an FMJ or JSP for black bear should be a good round? I don't wanna start a war on this subject and a .338 lapua or RUM or WM is not an option. Am I crazy for wanting to hunt such a broad scope of animals with just one caliber?

223 for deer and a FMJ for bear? Been hunting long?

Back