Ruger 338 RCM Range Report

Rammer

Well, as some of you may remeber I purchased a Ruger 338 Compact Magnum last winter. I end up topping it with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. Today, was the first time I shot the rifle with optics on it. I did harvest a doe with the iron sights last winter.

I would say it shot the factory ammo pretty well. I'm not sure if the 3rd shot was my fault or not. I shot 2 sighters at 100 yards that were about 14" high and 10" right, adjusted the scope accordingly and shot this 3 shot group.

P1020651.jpg

I am planning on giving it a thorough evaluation over the next couple weeks. I end up getting four 8x8" steel plates to hang out at various distances, and one 6" steel spinner. The plates are all AR 500 1/2" steel. I still need to fab up hangers for the steel plates.

Now that I am starting to get better from my accident, I have had some time and ability to start working on my new and improved range. I am hoping to get steel targets/targets out to 1/2 mile.

I should note that the above group was shot over my backpack, in 80 degree weather, with a cut off t-shirt on. After 5 shots, I wouldn't recommend shooting a very lightweight rifle in 338RCM with 225gr bullets.
scared.gif

Anyone out there shoot/reload for the 338RCM? I have been considering it, but if I get the rifle to shoot as good as it looks like it will shoot, I might just buy a ton of factory ammo for it.

The reason I bought the rifle is for a brown bear hunt. I am going to the SCI show in Vegas this year, and hopefully can find a bargain!

I will also be putting my 45/70 thru the paces and will post up results as well.

I reload for it. Mine is a wood/blue version. I have a 2 x 7 VX2 on it. I can look up the load info if your interested drop me a pm. I want to say its about 2675-2700fps w/210gr partition. I have taken one bull elk and 2 deer with it so far, have had it for 2 seasons and I really like it. Greg in MT

It took the elk down quickly, broadside shot at about 80-100 yrds. However I was using Hornady's factory SST load (225gr)which was the heaviest factory load they offered at the time. I would normally prefer a stronger bullet like interbond/partition or something like that. He didn't go 15 yrds. Bullet did not exit and lungs were liquified. Basically a balistic tip style bullet not what I wanted to use. If I were to buy factory ammo for it for elk I would strongly recommend the interbond load in 225gr. I may buy some 225gr interbonds and load them up but the partitions may last me another 10 yrs LOL. I am really liking the performance of the 338 and this rifle in particular. Greg

Seems like its doing well for you. I sold one to a customer around Christmas and always had wondered how they shoot and i guess this answers my question. Congrats

Yeah I'll post up some more results as soon as I get time to shoot it again. Maybe I'll try it out on a jackrabbit or two one of these days.
w00t.gif

I think that the RCM has a "sharper" recoil than a standard 338 Win, which to me, is more of a big "push." Not sure if that makes sense or not....

I did a test run with the rifle over the weekend on Antelope.

The antelope didn't stand much of a chance with a 225gr SST!
thumbup.gif

For those that were interested in the 338, I shot a 3 shot group today off my bipod that you could cover with a dime at 100 yards. The rifle is definately a shooter! Will be trying it out on a B&C buck this weekend, hopefully....

The sharper recoil is primarily due to the lighter weight of the RCM rifle.. The velocity is by and large the same with bullets up to 225 gr. . That is a good weight for most hunting ..
So it does the same work with less length and gun weight. I kinda think it is a perfect big game rifle and round combo..

The more I shoot the rifle, the more I am liking it. Also, the more I shoot it, the more managable the recoil is. I've became quite comfortable with the rifle, and honestly if I had to shoot it all day on a prairie dog town, I would.

Back