Lots of ? on 22 Hornet

burris

I reciently ordered a CZ527 in 22 Hornet and will be topping it with a Burris FFII 4.5-14X42. I reload for all my calibers using the RCBS system. I will be using the Hornet for fox, bobcats and close yotes. Now the questions...I hope you can help.

1. Which bases and rings do you recommend? Also, should I go with medium or high bases?
2. Where do you purchase your reloading supplies online?
3. Where can I find 22 Hornet brass online?
4. I am considering reloading 40 gr V-Max or Speer 40gr BTHP, which bullet do you perfer?
5. Last, what is your favorite recipe for the Hornet?

Thanks for the help!

Never had one, But I have heard good things about Sierra 40gr. Blitzkings for a Hornet. I guess they don't quite feed as well as "hornet" bullets, but apparently shoot pretty great.
thumbup1.gif

You guys have the load figured out. The 35 gr. VMax is incredible, even though its ballistic coefficient is pretty low. The 40 gr. VMax or BTip shoot great but they are don't work well with the CZ mag. I could get 3 cartridges into the mag without a problem, more that that was a no-go. My CZ is gone, but my Contender likes the 34 grain VArmint Nightmare bullets from Midsouth. They are just over $40 per 500.

As for scope rings, my CZ came with factory rings. I do not have any experience with others.

MIdway has reloading components, but I get powder and primers locally because of the hazmat fee.

Last edited:
For scope rings; it will depend on the scope you use, I would think the Burris scope would require high rings because of the eye piece, but if it comes with the CZ rings try them and see as the CZ rings are normally a little higher than after market. For loads I prefer the Sierra 40 grain hornet bullet, it fits the mag and performs good. I use Lil-Gun 13 grains +/- two tenths of a grain. I use CCI small rifle primers. You can order brass from Cabela's or Midway, either will have it, I use either Winchester or Remington. I have owned two CZ hornets, an american and a full stock, still have the full stock, also have a Brno hornet sporter so I have had some experience with them.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43 You can order brass from Cabela's or Midway, either will have it,

Not
Hornet brass comes and goes. Right now it's scarce as hens teeth. Graf's had some Privi a couple weeks ago, but that may be gone by now.

Best Hornet bullet I ever used was Barnes's 40gr Varminator. They discontinued it for a few years but they're bringing it back next year. Calhoon's 36grainers are pretty good too.n I'd stay away from poly tipped bullets for predators if it were me.

Your rifle will come with rings that are pretty high. Depending on how large Burris's ocular bell is, you'll more than likely need em to clear anyway. They're he11 for stout, but ugly as sin. Since they come with the rifle, try em and see for your self if you can live with em.

It's no secret around here that I'm partial to CZ's, and the Hornet's one of my favorites.
Enjoy.

I'd almost guarantee you'll need high rings. I mounted a scope for a buddy on a CZ hornet and had issues with the bolt clearing the scope using medium rings. The bolt handle angle is a little flatter than most.

I would also suggest a smaller scope. For the range of the hornet, a fixed 4X or 2-7 are ideal IMO.

BTW, my buddy loves his CZ and it shoots darn good. You'll be happy with that purchase.

I have shot some of the Calhoon 30 grainers, they shot good were fairly accurate and were tough on praire dogs. With the lighter bullets I have had better luck with H110 as you can't get enough Lil Gun in the case for the light bullets.

Originally Posted By: stormkingI'd almost guarantee you'll need high rings. I mounted a scope for a buddy on a CZ hornet and had issues with the bolt clearing the scope using medium rings. The bolt handle angle is a little flatter than most.

Yep
You can solve the problem by doing a bolt handle swap with Calhoon if ya want to use lower rings.
Here's mine with the modified bolt handle and med Warn's.
I like my scopes as low as possible, but at Hornet distances, it's not that big of a deal as long as you can stand the looks. I can't. LOL
noname038.jpg

The hornet is a great little round , I like the 40 GR Vmax and little gun with CCI small rifle primers, once you have one you will usualy keep one

I agree with Lil Gun powder. It performs well and a 1lb can lasts for a very long time.

I am foaming at the mouth right now to get my Ruger 77/22 Hornet back from the gunsmith. I am putting a new trigger in right now and floating the barrel. I am really excited to get out and shoot it.

Never could get V-Max's to work in my Cooper. The Mid-South 34gr. and the Calhoon 36gr. have worked best for me, once again with Lil Gun and WSP's.

I have been able to use Leupold medium rings with Leupold or redfield scopes but you can't use slip on scope caps with them as the bolt handle will not clear.

10.5 gr. H110 and a 40 gr. Seirria Blitzking. A yote killer. My Contender doesn't care if its 40 Blitz or 40 VMax. Shoots both well.

Tom

I'm shooting a Savage 219 with a Weaver 2x7 and it really likes the Win 46gr HP and Lil'gun. My gunsmith has 3-4 Hornets and he thinks Rem nickle plated brass is the most accurate for him, my rifle likes plain old Win.

219wscope001.jpg

AWS

Last edited:
Back