Range Finders

kc_hhsl

I'm looking to buy a laser range finder. I'm not looking for anything that can tell me the distance to the moon. Just need something durable and works.

On ebay they have the normal (to me) name brands - Bushnell (tons of their 400-1000 series for < $60); there are Nikon, Leupold, and others. There is also one on there with the name brand Wild Game Innovations.

Any one have experience with Wild Game?

Any other ideas where you can pick one up at a decent price.

I had a Bushnell 450 but lost it last year ... still trying to fiugre that one out.

Thanks

What’s your price range?

I checked out a Halo 600 today with their "angle intelligence" It sure is a great vale at $140 (Dicks Sporting Goods) It is very simple with not too much gizmo and misc modes...

i would get a Leica, but most are decent. i do not however like Leupold RFs, everyone i have used had problems reading ranges constantly, on all kinds of serfaces and distances.

My Leica CRF 1200 has gone 1331 yards on a good target in overcast conditions, but it struggles to get past 800 in bright light with a not-so-good target.

I'm not usually a Nikon guy, but I'm satisfied with their cheaper-ish model rangefinder.
thumbup1.gif

I got an RX-600 Leupold from Cabelas and i really like it. I think they are on sale for $159 right now, heck of a deal. Check em out.

Buy once... cry once...

The Leica is the only way to go... I have an older LRF1200... it just plain works, all the time... every time.

Swarovski and then everything else...

Mine will range just shy of 2000 yards on most anything in most weather.

Will outrun the leica 1600 anyday, not even a comparison really.

Glass is superb, I use it instead of my binoculars for glassing anymore.

When you throw that factor in, its well worth the $1000 price tag...

You guys with these leicas must never tried or looked through the swarovski...

Night and day difference IMO...

I'll watch what I say now for the Leicas, but to keep it short and simple, I wouldn't waste my money on them. Save couple hundred more dollars and get something that when something goes wrong, the company will stand behind the product and fix it or make it right, not try and sell you the next model up at a "discount" price LOL. Like I said, woouldnt waste my time or money with another leica rangefinder, especially after the way we were taken care of...

Swarovski on the other hand made things right and did what they could to make me happy and not miss out on a bull hunt that took 12 years to get. The swarovski broke down for whatever reason, the only 1 button on the dam thing was like froze up or stuck. This happened about month month and a half before my hunt!! So call them and tell them my problem and situation and they say well it goes to Austria to get fixed and you wont have it back for 3 mos. I said well I got a big bull tag I've been waiting 12 years for and I bought your guys rangefinder specifically for this hunt and my 338 EDGE I had built. I said, hows a 1000 dollar rangefinder break a month before the season when it hasn't even been dropped at all. I treat that thing like nitroglycerine...They said well we can do this for ya, we'll send you the exact same rangefinder so you can use it for the time and duration that your is being repaired, only thing we need is a credit card number to charge to if you dont send it back. Works for me I said! Had a new rangefinder in 2 weeks and ended up shooting a 6x6 at 525 yards. I've never heard of a company doing "loaner" type program but I was sure thankful for it at the time.

I HIGHLY doubt Leica would have done anything remotely close to that. Except try sell ya there upper model for couple hundred off...BS!!!

I think like most optics, get the most you can afford. I'm also saving currently for one and plan on getting the leica. That said a buddy of mine bought a Leupold RX1000i this last week. I spent yesterday comparing it to my older Nikon and my brothers Leupold RX II. The new one has way better optics and the red led is very nice. I was able to consistently get sage brush and clumps of grass out to 600. I could get trees and rocks out to 800. I have a barn out behind my house and learned yesterday that is 925 yards.

Originally Posted By: kc_hhslLeica must be nice ... even on ebay they are expensive.

Tyring to find an inexpensive range finder ...

I don't know got my Leica LRF 1200 for around $300 shipped.

Dave

I got a Bushnell 450 scout pro that I would sell to you. But I like the nikon and leupold rangefinder.

If price is not an issue go with Leica. Leupold would be my next choice. I use the new Leupold with the angle compensator for archery hunting and a Leica for long range work.

Back