Florida ain't got no Bears...right!!!!!!

Bowknutt

I hunt on about 6000 acres, I am the only bow hunter, with about 97,000 acres of timber comp. land on three sides.I have moved my camera about 7 times and this is what I get.
[img:center]
MDGC0035.jpg
[/img]
They will come back two or three times daily till all of the yellow acorns are gone..
MDGC0030.jpg
[/img]
You get a deer every now and then blackie shows up and spoils the party...
MDGC0007.jpg
[/img]
And they say we don't have enough for a hunting season!!!!
Sorry to rant but I'm the lucky one..others have had feeders/cameras tree stands tore up by these rascals...

David

Last edited:
Thats the problem lon0121 we don't have a bear season in FL..
They say we don't have enough population to sustain a hunt..

David

Originally Posted By: lon0121wow, get a license next year! i would love to hunt bear with a bow!

Can't hunt them down there anymore... Florida Black Bear Management Plan, makes no provisions for a hunting season until 2021. There are no plans to even discuss a hunting season on Florida Black Bear until 2014, and then only to look at progress of Bear Population Recovery to determine feasibility of a Bear Hunting Season in 2021, or initiate proceedings to postpone it until a later date.

Bottomline... redo their survey, see if they are meeting projected recovery goals, determine if they have garnished enough support to postpone it indefinitely, and agree to talk about it again 7 years later.

Public meetings on the Florida Black Bear Management Plan were shut down after the second of several meetings planned around the state, when the public outcry for a Bear Hunting Season again overshadowed all else in the meeting.

And, yes the bunny huggers are supporters and backers of the Florida Game and Fish Black Bear Management Plan. Have little festivals telling everyone how wonderful bears are and how we should all just try to get along with them.

The two largest black ever recorded in the state of Florida have both been taken in just the last few years, by automobiles!

Originally Posted By: BowknuttThats the problem lon0121 we don't have a bear season in FL..
They say we don't have enough population to sustain a hunt..

David

And, they don't have a clue do they David!

It is utterly ridiculous. They are suggesting a population of only 200 - 250 bear in Baker and Columbia County, and I counted 5 sets of tracks, in 4 miles, on 1 road, and know for a fact that there are 2 more bear that make laps through that same section of road, one every 3 - 5 days, the other about once a week. Thus 7 bear on that one 4 mile stretch of road. But we ain't got no bear in Florida!

Last edited:
Nice post, David.

I hear ya screamin', Rocky. They have bear crossing signs on US27 south of SR 70 and just the few folks that I've talked to who live or drive a lot in that area see lots of live bears.

I think 2021 for a bear season is optimistic. We have way too many tree-hugging New Englanders down here that will allow that without a HUGE fight.

Yep my farther and I had Bow hunt lease in palm dale fl, bears where always tearing feeders up finally had to use a boat wench and steel cable hang it about 25ft up and use a big enough tree limb to support feeder and bear cause he will climb tree for yellow acorns. there smart i watched one for over an hour pluck the steel cable like a banjo string dropping few yellow acorns at a time till he had pile then climb down eat and the do it all over again with me yelling the whole time. they werent scared of hunters, been treed more than once there started caring blunt arrow tips ones with the rubber pad just to run the bears off, also worked on the cows when they came around too

Originally Posted By: Crimson Raptor I hear ya screamin', Rocky. They have bear crossing signs on US27 south of SR 70 and just the few folks that I've talked to who live or drive a lot in that area see lots of live bears.

Have bear crossing signs all over Camp Blanding, but the Florida Black Bear Management Plan does not recognize a breeding population there.

Florida Black Bear Management Plan - If you haven't read it, take the time. It is mind boggling!!

Oh yes, how convenient!!! Hot off the presses!!

Originally Posted By: Miami HeraldPosted on Thursday, 11.10.11
No hunting in Florida black bear management plan

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/10/24...l#ixzz1eElFO3al

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida black bears won't have targets on their backs at least for the near future because a proposed management plan made public Thursday will continue to ban hunting them.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's proposal, though, doesn't completely take hunting off the table, and it would remove the subspecies of the American back bear from the state's threatened species list.

"Whether we discuss hunting or not is not at all the focus of this process," said the commission's executive director, Nick Wiley. "If that happens that's a dialogue that would have to occur later."

The proposed 10-year plan said the commission may explore hunting and habitat modification to slow the black bear's population growth in certain areas, but not before 2015. It also notes that 32 of 41 states with black bear populations allow hunting.

The Humane Society of the United States opposes any bear hunting in Florida. It argues it would have no effect on reducing the interaction of humans and hungry bears that raid garbage cans and pilfer food left out for pets.

"Whether it's tomorrow or 2015, I don't believe Floridians would stand for a trophy hunt of Florida's treasured black bears," said Jennifer Hobgood, the society's state director.

The organization also says the bears shouldn't be removed from the threatened species list.

"It's too soon and we don't have adequate data," Hobgood said. "The data we do have indicates it may be detrimental to the bears in the future."

The state population dropped to an estimated 500 in the 1950s, but has since rebounded to the point that wildlife officials say there's no longer a threat of extinction. They estimate Florida has between 2,500 and 3,000 black bears.

That estimate is outdated and the bears shouldn't be considered a single population because they are scattered in genetically distinct pockets across the state, Hobgood said.

Their habitat, which once covered all of Florida, has shrunk by more than two-thirds. As a result, bears are searching for food more in populated areas and becoming a hazard on the state's roads. Last year, 158 bears were killed or euthanized after being injured on Florida's highways.

The only human ever known to have died is a motorcyclist who collided with a bear near Umatilla in March 2010. Officials never found the bear to see if it was injured.

Black bears are among 16 species the commission has recommended to be no longer listed as threatened or endangered. Others include the snowy egret, brown pelican, white ibis and alligator snapping turtle. Management plans, though, must be approved for each before they can be taken off the lists.

Killing or injuring a bear or possessing body parts would remain a crime although reduced from a third-degree felony with a sentence of up to five years in prison to a misdemeanor with a one-year maximum.

"Lot of people think, 'Oh, you're loosening up and everybody's going to think they can go out and kill a bear now,'" Wiley said. "That is absolutely not the case."

The state's ability to block development of bear habitat would be reduced, but the commission would still have a voice in such land planning decisions, Wiley said.

The plan would create seven bear management units. The largest would center on the Ocala National Forest with an estimated 1,000 bears. The smallest would include the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge with about 20 animals along the state's west coast north of Tampa. Others would include Eglin Air Force Base, the Osceola and Apalachicola national forests, the Big Cypress National Preserve and Glades and Highland counties.

Several provisions call for public outreach to make people more aware of what they can do to prevent human-bear encounters.

There would be no change in the existing policy of dealing with nuisance bears. The first step is to get humans to make their homes and businesses less inviting through such measures as bear-proof garbage cans.

If that doesn't make the bears go away, the animals can be captured and relocated or in extreme cases euthanized.

The plan is expected to add between $200,000 and $300,000 to the existing annual cost of black bear management. It suggests promoting additional sales of Conserve Wildlife specialty license plates to help raise more money.

The commission will seek comment through Jan. 10 including public workshops Nov. 22 in Bristol, Nov. 29 in Naples, Dec. 6 in Deland and Dec. 13 in Gainesville. The panel will discuss the plan at its February meeting and then may seek additional public comment before taking final action probably next summer, Wiley said.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/10/24...l#ixzz1eEgqN3T6

Last edited:
That's odd... seems 89% of Floridians surveyed think there should be a Bear Hunting Season! Let's make 99% for FWCs benefit guys!!

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Here you go boys... Florida Bear Hunting Poll

Scroll down to bottom of left hand column in the little grey box, and let's light 'er up!!!

Did it! We're running 90% for out of 30-something votes. Not too many readers of English in Broward County, don't ya know?

Back