Good day - Two yotes and a buck

300magman

The snow finally arrived up here, so we have been out hunting deer hard, and not spending much time on yotes. During a deer drive in which I was the shooter, this yote came out hauling [beeep] for all he was worth...I couldn't resist as I haven't shot a yote in a few days, so I made the broadside shot at 100yds (impressed myself with that shot). He was running so fast that he did 3 complete layed out cartwheels when I hit him! haha! This was a smaller male.

DSC02875.jpg

Later in the afternoon, we decided to make yote stand to pass the last bit of time before the evening hunt. One of the guys I was hunting with was a friend of a friend, and had never been calling before, so after some stories he was begging us to do a stand! Obviously, the goal was for him to shoot if a yote came in, but as we all know happens, it came out of the least likely spot (which was where I was set-up, in 6 yrs of calling at this spot, only one other time has a yote ever came out where this one did, go figure). The yote came in to cottontail distress at 4 minutes, and I lip squeaked it in to 45 yds where I shot it. This one was a big, old male...I don't know if its just luck, but the yotes I have been getting seem to be averaging 5-10lbs heavier than previous years, there obviously really healthy and well fed right now. Regardless of the outcome, I think we have a new man on our pred hunting "team"!

DSC02878.jpg

Finally, do to the snowy conditions, and some good signs of the rut getting into swing, we decided to do a spot and stalk hunt for deer in the evening. The county I live in allows for one buck to be taken, and we can also take another buck anywhere in the province, so I had decided that if I saw something with antlers, I was gonna fill my one tag and put some meat in the freezer (the wifes been on my case for some jerky). We spotted this buck and 2 does about 3/4 of a mile out on a tree line between 2 hay fields. There was about 20 minutes of legal light left, so we quickly parked the truck and made our stalk. The way we came in on him didn't allow us to watch the deer, so when we finally popped out, we had gotten to 54 yds of the buck (a little closer than planned). I looked him over for a few seconds, and decided he would be a fine meat deer, so I dropped him with a head shot to minimize meat damage (you can kinda see his left eye is hanging out). He was a small 4x4 that dressed out at 202lbs. Now that I have some venison, I can be really picky on my second tag and hopefully find something with some decent antlers. Regardless, it was a heck of a good day and fun times spent with friends.

***By the way, because it was just a little guy, we didn't set-up for good pics, just snapped one with the blackberry so we didn't know that I looked kinda drunk in the pic till later on. Just wanted to mention that I never have or will drink while hunting. Already got a few comments from buddies who i emailed the pic to about the way I look, so just thought I'd save the trouble of you asking the question! haha!**

4x4buck.jpg

As usual, I was using my ruger m77 .300mag, bog-pod sticks and the FX3 for the yote stand. Happy hunting!

Looking great! I'll be down in IL for some deer hunting in a few days, deer & coyote that is. I take any coyote that gives me a good opportunity while deer hunting. Great job on that running coyote, they can really scoot.

Okay, 300MM. You're out of control, man! Seriously - congrats on some great fur down and meat in the freezer. Doesn't get any better than that.

Man, your just stacking them up this year. looks like a good meat deer too, I wont say where but your a lucky guy for living in the county you do with the second buck. great job on the two coyotes and deer! i'm jelous!

Back