Scope recommendation for a LONNGGGGG shot

B. Miller

My cousin has the brilliant idea of trying to hit a target 800 yards away. Personally, I don't think he can do it. He doesn't have a lot of experience shooting rifles and I don't think he has nearly enough technique (or skill) to get it done.

Butttttt being family I want to give him the best opportunity to actually succeed, and that's where you come in
smile.gif

For a shot of that distance, what magnification would you go with? He want's to go with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40. Feel free to suggest a certain brand and/or model. All I ask is you keep it as cheap as possible, he is in college.

For the record, I think he is shooting a 7mm Rem Mag. He hasn't bought the gun yet lol..

thanks for any help!

How big is the target? also just curious as to why he would pick 800 yds instead of going all out and shooting a grand? If he's just looking for a good deal on a decent long range scope look here

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746570/...x-reticle-matte

I would, however suggest a mil-dot or "ballistic plex"-type reticle to anyone shooting targets beyond 500 yds, especially if they are a novice shooter or not familiar with the ballistics of their gun... That being said he will have to shell out a few extra bucks to obtain said scope in a reputable brand... if he doesn't care about that there are some cheaper mil-dot scopes made by Leapers, Barska, and such that will do the job, although I would question their ability to hold zero in a magnum chambering like 7mm for any length of time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458410/...t-reticle-matte

Last edited:
I personally use a Pentax Lightseeker 30 6-24x50 for 1000 yard match shooting on my .308... I like adjustability for variable weather conditions.

Last edited:
Appreciate the replies, fellas.

Here is a dumb drawing I made because for one, I was bored, and two, it answers why its 800 yards and not 1000 (a fair question).

@Snowwhite: I don't really know what size target he's looking to shoot. If it's a tank maybe he has a chance. I'll check out the scopes and forward the links to him. Are you saying the buckmaster he was looking at won't cut it? I'm pretty sure it has a ballistic reticle.

@jackh-I'll tell him to. I'm in enough forums already lol. Thanks
smile.gif

Whooops. I forgot to add the picture. Here ya go.

IMAG0164.jpg

Last edited:
A vortex viper pst in anything over a 10x will do fine. 800 won't be that
hard with any thing from a .243 on up. Even the old slug .308 does just
fine at 800. Bullet choice is paramount and don't expect your ballistics
calculator to put you on the money. It takes some field dope. I like moa/moa
scopes but mil/mil are just fine as well. How much you have to dial up for
your load will determine what scope you need. Don't buy a scope with
38 minutes of elevation (19 up 19 down) if You are going to need anything
over 14 or so. A scope with 75 or 80 over all is more in line with long range
shooting.
I take my 1:10 twist .243 to 1000 regularly with the berger 87 grain. It's
not that tough.

Please tell me the road in your drawing isn't a public road!?

~And the Nikon would do, but more power is better for long range target shooting... especially if he isn't very experienced...

>The above advice is good, but man, shooting at a grand is waaaay harder than a few folks make it sound.

It's funny you say that. When he first told me the plans that was my first reaction.

To answer you question, yes, it is public! Apparently if it's so far above the street it's legal? At least that's what he claims.

Originally Posted By: B. MillerIt's funny you say that. When he first told me the plans that was my first reaction.

To answer you question, yes, it is public! Apparently if it's so far above the street it's legal? At least that's what he claims.

Nope... as a police officer, I will tell you with 100% confidence that it is not legal and if caught, he will be charged with reckless discharge of a firearm and public endangerment(at a minimum) Both Felony charges here in MN and would result in loss of firearms and ability to buy one ever again. I would not let him do this if I were a friend, relative, or acquaintence... Its foolish and dangerous...

NEVER, NEVER, never shoot across or toward a public access road. Plain and simple! I don’t care if the road is in a canyon 1000 ft down! Don’t do it!!

Oh BTW, WE ARE… Penn State!

i doubt the buckmaster will cut it. plus ballistic reticles are normally designed for a specific load.

check out swfa supersniper 3-9x42 with the new mil quad reticle. it has mil/mil adjustments and is ffp. it will be hard to get anything better for less than twice its price. read up on them and you will see how well they are liked. i bought one for my 700 just a month ago and i love it.

umm, lots of info. some is good...some is... well...not very good.

it really doesn't matter what scope he uses if the gun isn't capable of shooting accurately to those ranges. lots of guys could loan him a gun that they dialed in and set it up on a bench and have him pull the trigger (it would be just like a video game at that point). shooting that distance is easy....once you've done your home work and have the right equipment. the buckmaster could work. you might want to check out the strelok app (mine is on verizon) and it will show you where to aim using your ballistic reticle. but, you'll need to know some info about the ammo you're shooting. it may not be exact but it will get you close.

i personally like to dial but for what you guys are doing that would be the easiest way to get started.

and (i can't help myself) while ballistic reticles can be designed for specific loads they are not usually for specific loads. they are used to give you a way to measure distance which allows you to dope for your specific load.

as has been stated. the size of the target will be a big factor in shooting that distance.

and please don't shoot across public roads.

i'm glad i'm not Penn State right now. what a cluster ____!!! i hope the REAL truth comes out at some point.

i have used the buckmasters and love them, you can play around on the nikon spot on program and it gives you ranges for the bdc reticles, they are close but not spot on. with a 154gr hornady super formance in the 7mm rem mag that you said on 12x the last circle is 794yards

Thanks for the help guys. I forwarded all the information to him!

I already called him to tell him that shooting over a road is illegal.

In regards to Penn State....yeaahhhhhhh hard times around these parts. Times are rough, but we'll pull through. We can't let one or two (or three, who knows?!) After all, WE ARE Penn State.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760
Oh BTW, WE ARE… Penn State!

Aside from current events on the coaching staff,

We'll see how you feel about that once THE Ohio State Buckeyes stomps the Nittany Kitties into the dirt this weekend.
tongue.gif

Sounds like your cousin needs to invest in some common sense and a hunters safety course before attempting any shot at any range. Not only is it illegal it's just plain unsafe and stupid.

Send the DA out here. In the west, on the prairie we can shoot several thousand yards with no roads, no trees, no hills and no cover.
If after he gets out of jail for shooting over a public roadway and by some longshot he gets to own a gun again then we can set him up to safely shoot as far as he wants. THEN if he plans on continuing to shoot at long range(actually to some 1000 yds. isn't long range)he will need something more than a $150 scope and a plain jane factory rifle.

Penn State where the locker rooms are more dangerous than the football field...............

Last edited:
I think he got the message on the "shooting over the road". Of coarse only
4 or 5 times a year a school bus or truck winds up with holes in them driving
our western highways during hunting season.

Back