What 22-250 brass?

BlueDevil

Hi there!

So I'm starting to look for 22-250 brass and there is a lot of available options, is there a particular brand that's recommended? Thanks!

I've had great luck with Nosler, and I've also had great luck with a mixed bunch of 22-250 brass that I saved for years before I started reloading. I don't think you have to be too picky about it, unless you are wanting to shoot competitions with it, which I assume you aren't.
I think if you want cheap and reliable go with Remington.

Personally I like to use Lapua brass. And I am very glad Lapua brought out 22-250 brass last year.

I used Winchester in the past. When I buy brass I buy at least 500 pieces at a time. Then I sort that brass. The last batch of 500 pieces of Winchester brass I sorted I came out with two distinct batches, plus about 75 cull pieces. The largest lot of consistent brass was about 250 pieces. So that means from a dollar stand point I paid almost twice as much for the Winchester because I only batched out 250 pieces from a lot of 500. So when you sort your brass properly the price for Lapua does not work out to be as expensive as you might think.

I rarely have to cull out any Lapua brass. Tom.

Ive never seen a differance in brass. I like Win or Hornady/Fronteir just because it is a little easier to work, seemingly. The group below was shot with 3 different headstamp. All prep the same, but not weighed or anything. The big hole in the bottom was a pass thru of some sort.

7acf8ea5.jpg

"pass thru" is when another shooter is shooting at a target in front of yours and the bullet "passes through" theirs and continues to yours. It happens all to often at public ranges. Especially if they are shooting cross lanes and other dumb stuff like that.

Originally Posted By: MousedipperBrass is brass

lol.gif

That is like saying a Ford is the same as a Rolls Royce.
thumbdown.gif

Brass Quality varies from maker to maker Dimensionally, weight and hardness.
I do believe if you put it up to a vote Lapua would be at the top of the pile for quality Dimensionally and hardness and weight wise.

I my self have been using Winchester, and Lake city brass. Never had a problem with Winchester brass of any caliber till about a year or two ago when I bought 500 pieces of .223 Rem. brass for my AR15. So far I have only used one bag of 100 of it and found that some of the primer pockets were not deep enough and the primer would not seat below the base of the case. I fixed that with a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer tool. Since then I bought 1K pieces of Lake City brass in .223 Rem.and am using it instead of the Winchester and am satisfied with it.

When I get my new .243Win. built I will be buying Lapua brass for it. Can I say a paper punching rifle used just for fun.

DAB

Brass quality has suffered it seems recently. I still have gotten decent Remington stuff but Winchester appears to have really lax quality control lately.

Brass quality makes a big difference to us handloaders. Reloaders dont care as much. Handloaders taylor each piece of brass to be exactly the same as the next piece. Polish, Trim, Chamfer, Deburr flash holes, Uniform Primer pockets, Polish case mouth with steel wool, and weigh each brass piece and cull out the oddballs.
I love Nosler, Lapua, and Norma brass. I've had lotsa problems with Hornady and a few issues with Winchester. Hornady is the worst I've ever dealt with and in multiple calibers. I'd have saved money if when I started I would just have gone with the top dogs.

My 22-250 (700 Rem VSL) doesn't care about brass. I just recently started separating them though just for my own comfort. Now my .243, I see big differences with mixed brass. A load I develop with federal brass requires tweaking with other brass.

I recently received some once fired Hornady brass. I FL sized them and did all the other brass prep stuff to them. I found that they were crimped just like the LC brass, so I had to run them through the swaging process. I also found a few would not fit in the shell holder, those went to the brass recycle can.

Ryutsy, what problems have you experienced with the Hornady brass?

If you want better brass, Norma and Lapua are where to go. They are both very good and depending on lot numbers, either may be best.

Jack

For a coyote hunter, he can plan on jacking many pieces of brass off into the grass and never being able to find them.

The vast majority of shots on coyotes are under 125 yards, so for predator hunting, Remington or Winchester will do just fine.

I hate federal.

Lapua and Nosler are like a wet dream, and I would hate to loose it. When multiple yotes are coming in, a piece of brass that flies off in the weeds is the last thing on my mind.

If I were a target shooter, I would buy the lapua and never look back. You will probably wear out a barrel with 50 rounds of brass.

Back