Some Prime Time Action!.. Ten Dogs In A Day and A Half...

getemclose

Well Its a weird year for Marty and I.. Its mid november and we dont have much snow on the ground at all. We are used to having 2-3 feet by now! Its good and bad in two different sense.. its nice because we are getting into areas we normally could never drive to. On the downside however its a lot harder to spot them, and cutting a track is dang hard!

Anyways saturday was going to be a good day to call. A buddy of mine was back from school and he asked if I would take him out to try and get his first coyote. Marty and I obliged.

We all met up and headed out before light. Marty and I decided to go to a spot we had killed a double at about a month ago. We walked in, in the dark and it was all just perfect. heavy frost on the ground, no wind, overcast, but unfortunately no coyotes.! Unbelievable we thought to ourselves. We all pile in the truck and head down the highway. As we are driving I scan out my window and spot a dog 400 yards off the road walking on the edge of a pond on the ice!.. I quickly notify marty and we circle around onto a trail and get to where I think the coyote is headed. I take jacob with me and marty sets up on the downwind side. The cover is tight and I know it will be a quick deal if the coyote shows. Not exactly ideal for a new guy.. marty begins to call and I suddenly spot the big male coming up a lowspot between two hills. I tell jacob were the dog is but he just couldnt seem to spot him! Maybe next stand
smile.gif
. I drop the dog and we have one nice one in the truck...

firsttt.jpg

We call a few blank stands and work our way down the road.. Marty and I are at the point now where we pretty much no exactly what each other is thinking. its actually kind of scary
lol.gif
We come over a hill and spot a promising looking area. frozen ponds with cows everywere. Also some low rolling hills bordered it. This was a coyote magnet!.. Marty and I both know were we need to get too and the walk is on.. I tell jacob to be ready because we could easily spot a dog on the long walk in. We crest a ridge and I spot a coyote sitting on the edge of the ice at about 300.. I tell jacob to follow me as I can tell the dog didnt like the cattle running over the hill as we walked in. I quick walk to the next knoll and flop my gun out on the bi-pod. I tell jacob to take his time and squeeze easy. The dog takes two steps out onto the pond and drops in his tracks, Sweet!.. I motion marty to come up to our vantage point. I tell him we might as well call as the wind is blowing good and other dogs could be close.. Marty does the calling on this stand.. A narrow land bridge seperated us from a huge chunk of pasture. bordering us was a huge frozen pond on both sides.. Just like its supposed to happen a huge male comes bombing across the small land bridge. I center the crosshairs and give a yip. The dog drops in his tracks. Sweet Double!

dog-1.jpg

dogg.jpg

We throw 2# and 3# in the truck and are closing in on 100# in a little over a month and a half. sweet!

Now the next stand is a pretty funny one! Its a spot we had [beeep] at early this season. see our area got hit with so much snow last season that all our ponds are totally full of water. We called here in a tournament and the dogs wouldnt commit to come across the frozen lake. Its frozen now and in our experiences coyotes love crossing these frozen masses of nothing! Marty hits the call and a hard charger comes tearing across the lake. he reaches my edge and I smoke him. Unfortunately he runs out about 50 yards onto the thin thin ice! If you know me I wont leave a coyote behind ever!

Well use your imagination, I tested the ice, and ended up on my belly. But I got my dog
lol.gif

dogzz.jpg

doggg.jpg

#4 gets hoisted into the box and we have time for some more calls.. we hit some blanks and then decide to go call a super sweet awsome spot! Its a spot we have never not killed a coyote in.. Its a lazy mans spot as well
lol.gif
. Basically we park the truck, walk 50 yards over a ridge, and were overlooking a large pasture that coyotes love! Marty heads to far side of the ridge while I watch the back door with jacob.. We begin calling and its not long before I hear martys rifle bark!

We end the stand and he points out the coyote.. I head down to pick him up, little did I know it was going to be the biggest coyote id ever laid hands on!

dogz.jpg
(as he laid)

dogsssssssssss.jpg
for reference im 6' 3" two hundred.

That end it for day one, we end with five, not a bad day considering the heavy wind.

dogsssss.jpg

Day two doesnt include as many sweet pictures, but it was still an awsome day! We couldnt get out until noon due to some morning obligations.

first stand is awsome! but its a blank...

Second set we spot tracks and scat. Its the usual stuff for us, cattle pasture with low low grass.. We cover seperate sides of the hill.. This stand was just going to produce! five minutes in a get a hard charger on my side.. Its funny, youd think I would lose the "edge" of excitement after a lot of coyotes.. I can tell you my heart was pounding in my throat as the dog closed! i tried to get him to come into shotgun range but he wouldnt commit that last 50 yards.. I drop him and we have our first KI-ote! (picture later)

Our next set we decided to di sect a pasture into three seperate calls. You see even if a coyote hears your calls from a long distance, he still can be called later from a closer location.. Im sure they can be lazy just like me. Would I run across the neighborhood for a bag of doritos right now? Heck no.. Would I go upstairs and grab some out of the pantry? Heck ya! We call and call and a smart [beeep] coyote just sits on a muskrat hut watching us! Bad idea! Marty sneaks him and kills him in his bed.. ( picture later)

We bomb to the other side of the pasture to hit another spot. The wind sucks and we were hesitant to call it.. we go against better judgement and head in to call.. Ten minutes in a dog comes bombing in from my left. he hits my wind and heads for happier places! He gives me one look at 375 yards and I smoke him low in the shoulder.. Little did I know I would chase him for the next.... wait for it......... ........... ................. THREEEEE MILES! Yup thats right , He was staying one step ahead of me and I finally caught up to him on a frozen lake.. Hardest ive ever worked for a coyote this season. Marty laughed at me.....

dawg.jpg

We hit some cherry stands but nothing even pokes its head up.. With light for one final stand we sprint through a pasture to call a long ravine with a cattail creek in it. its a spot I spotted a pair of coyotes headed to early one morning on my way to work.. Its getting dark and we need this to happen fast.. As soon as we light up the foxpro I spot a huge dog coming down the creek.. He reaches my 200 yard mark and I crush him, As I shoot Marty send out a shot on his side! Well, its a double... We stack our fur into the chevy and prepare ourselves for five more grueling days in the real world
frown.gif
.. Work sucks! Next saturday and sunday
smile.gif
.. more fur shall fly! I hope you enjoyed. We live for it.

dogs-1.jpg

Nominated for HOM

Last edited by a moderator:
great job young man. i can see you and marty are still the masters. thanks so much for your pictures and posts. I been following you guys for several years now. you keep me getting up outa bed at 3 a.m. love to see those fat furry coyotes you guys take. and what beautiful country you're hunting. it's been a pleasure just reading the posts and looking (drooling over) the pictures. keep stackin em tall, man. look forward to your next post. you guys rock!

Nice post Mitch. Good Pics too. I got out for a day on thursday and managed to get four. Had one run ten feet from my partner and it scared him so bad that he missed. I laughed. Lets hook up again one of these days.

purty dang good considering deer season is on. watching them come across ice is a hoot. good work

Last edited:
Awesome job man! Almost 100 yotes already, that's just crazy. Most guys season isn't as good as your day and a half. Sounds like you guys will hit that 300 mark you set as a goal. Keep posting pic and stories. Everyone loves it.

Oh ya, have you guys been getting any of this on film? I am waiting for a video to come out.

Back