Alyssa is back at it...my predator hunting good luck charm!

Switch

My daughter Alyssa and I finally got a chance to get out and do some hunting. She has been studying up for her hunter safety course that she'll be attending next month. I figure it was about time to get her out there to chase some critters. The weather finally cooled and we planned an outing to do some target shooting and make a few stands. It turns out she wanted to do more hunting than punching holes in paper. Our first stand was a shotgun spot. We hiked in and even though it looked a bit open for a shotgun stand, we got set up and started calling. We must've set up right on top of this animal. We hadn't been calling for more that forty five seconds when a nice looking coyote came trotting in and stopped, staring right at us. My shotgun was pointed his way, but lower. I really couldn't move. He did the whole head bob and realized he'd been fooled. He started to leave and I hammered him with a load of Dead Coyote out of the Browning. I heard Alyssa whisper an emphatic 'YES'. Not bad for our first stand. Alyssa wanted to drag it back to the truck, thus the drag rope.

IMG_3110.jpg

After a few dry stands, we set up some targets and did a bit of shooting. Alyssa wanted to shoot the 204 so I set up some targets and let her have at it. I will say this, and I may be a tad biased, but when she can legally hunt, the predators will be in trouble. She shoots off sticks and can easily hit the target at multiple distances. She even got brave enough to take a few shots with the Browning 12 ga.

After shooting the targets, she was eager to head out and sit on stand again. We hike into a nice area overlooking a wide drainage. About four minutes after we started, I spot a fluffy coyote (by CA standards) running in from straight out. I Slowly raise my rifle and was sure he spotted the movement, but she kept coming. She peaked out of a gap in the brush forty yards out, staring right at us. That was all she needed and she turned to leave. A quickly placed shot from the 204 convinced her to stay. Alyssa liked the fur on this one, so we ended up skinning this one out. Number two down.

IMG_3113.jpg

The very next stand we hiked in a bit further and set up with the setting sun at our backs. About two minutes in Alyssa spots a coyote ripping in fast. But instead of coming straight in, he veers to or left to catch our wind. I would find out a bit later that my truck was in clear view of the approaching coyote. At about 120 yards he stopped, facing us, and quickly gave a look over his shoulder. A 204 to the chest put coyote number three in the dirt.

IMG_3115.jpg

The end of the day wall hanger. All I can say is that once she gets her hunting license, I'll be hanging up my rifle for a while. It'll be her turn behind the rifle, and like I said, the critters are in trouble.

IMG_2397-1.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Heads on those Coyotes. You need to get a Head Mount. My good looking Taxidermist does a really good job mounting those on a rock base.

Switch it never ceases to amaze me how well you do in a state that I really don't associate with quality hunting. The fact that you include your kids impresses me even more. How much longer until she can start shooting coyotes/bobcats? I'm starting to think your next trip out here to Montana needs to include your daughter and a several day coyote fest. By the way there is no age limitations on hunting coyotes, fox, badgers, prairie dogs, gophers, or rabbits in Montana.

Originally Posted By: Mike21Definitely a HOM nomination needed here!

thumbup1.gif
!!!

+1 on that. Great story and pics. Those are times the two of you will never forget.

Shayne

Back