Protecktor Sandbags

MountainMedic

Bought a Hart rifle rest a couple of weeks back that came with a small sandbag. I had the hardest time figuring out what to fill it with. Granted, sand would seem obvious but in reality, it is too large to A) get it through the small hole that is used to fill it with B)keep this particular sandbag malleable enough to bend in the proper manner when fitted to the rest. A friend of a friend of a friend suggested aluminum oxide powder that is used for sandblasting. I went to the local sandblasting equipment supply and bought 5# of 100 grit. Worked absolutely perfect. Anyway, just wanted to let you all know what the remedy was and that I have another 4.5# that I would be willing to give to anyone that would need it. -MM

What works for me is using playground sand. It has a pretty fine texture and flows well. I use the straws you get from the burger joints. It's plastic and quite flexible. Cut it down a bit in length and pour the sand through a powder funnel and the straw. It's still a good bit of work, requiring lots of tamping and jiggling of the straw, but it does work. In fact, I generally get my bags too full. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Back