Fallin' Skies Jeffery Foiles convicted in Canada

CV32

From Canoe

Quote:U.S. hunter tortured ducks in Canada
By TONY BLAIS, QMI Agency

EDMONTON - A U.S. fowl hunter who sells videos of his outdoor adventures admitted in an Edmonton court Wednesday that he had hunted illegally and caused birds pain and suffering.

The unlawful hunting activities of Jeffery Burdett Foiles - captured on video while in Alberta and Saskatchewan - included him calling the wounded birds by names and hamming it up on camera by talking to them, quacking, hitting and slapping them and wrenching their necks.

"The duck would have been experiencing distress and pain," said prosecutor Michelle Ferguson, referring to one incident where Foiles "wrenches" a duck's neck so the bird is looking at him and says, "Look at me when I'm talking to you," while wagging the neck back and forth.

Ferguson also cited another incident where Foiles bangs the beak of a duck with a live shotgun shell, roughly manipulates the duck's head and then places his fingers over the nostrils of the duck and holds its beak closed.

He then asks the duck: "Is this how you want to die?"

As well, the 54-year-old Illinois man, who markets his videos under the name "Fallin' Skies," illegally hunted waterfowl from a powerboat and repeatedly exceeded his maximum daily bag limit and those of his fellow hunters.

Foiles pleaded guilty in provincial court to several charges under the Migratory Birds Convention Act and two criminal charges of causing cruelty to animals.

A joint sentencing proposal for a $14,500 fine was put before the court, however the matter was adjourned to next week so the judge could review the legal material.

Foiles has also agreed to be slapped with a three-year hunting ban in Canada.

Ferguson told court the aggravating factors in the case included Foiles being a visitor to Canada, making the videos for profit, purposefully shooting over his limit and his attitude and lack of concern towards the wounded ducks.

"His actions promoted the needless suffering of those animals," said Ferguson.

Defence lawyer Steve Fix told court Foiles was a divorced father of four adult children and said he was not in a position to dispute the charges because they are dated and the hunter does not recall all of the events.

"He regrets this matter from the outset and simply wants to move on," said Fix.

Foiles declined an opportunity to address the court extended by the judge, saying: "No ma'am."

According to agreed facts, the majority of the hunts in Alberta and Saskatchewan were in 2007 and included expeditions to Edmonton, Bentley and Pigeon Lake.

During the hunts, Foiles would address the birds by names, including "Mr. Honker" and "Mrs. Mallard," and he would not immediately dispatch wounded fowl.

He also once held a wounded Canada Goose - brought to him by his dog 24 minutes after he shot it - up for the camera and rubbed its head against his own cheek before eventually breaking its neck.

Court also heard Foiles tried to get his cameraman to shoot fowl despite him not having a permit and chuckled on camera while joking about exceeding the bag limits.

In June, Foiles pleaded guilty in the U.S. to violating federal wildlife laws and is slated to be sentenced on Sept. 21 to 13 months in jail and a $100,000 fine.

Sounds like he deserved it. People who do that [beeep] really piss me off. Have a little respect for the game you are hunting.

Makes me wonder how many other high profile hunters are guilty of similar crimes
thumbdown.gif

People like that should be taken out of the gene pool....whats with a guy that purposely torture's animals????

Needs help if you ask me.

This is from a Delta Waterfowl blog. I first heard this charge from a SD Game Warden as being in the original indictment. I don't know if it were part of the final federal charges.

'During the fall of 2005—and this is the charge that, if true, boggles the mind—the indictment says "Foiles travelled to a city park in Loveland, Colo., after learning many Canada geese wearing neck collars and leg tags had been spotted at the park." According to the story, he allegedly used bread to lure the tagged geese to his vehicle, where he shot them with a pellet gun and removed the tags. U.S. officials allege Foiles used the tags he collected from the geese to decorate his duck and goose call lanyard, "which he wore prominently on his commercial hunting videos to advertise his skill and experience as a migratory waterfowl hunter." ' This paragraph from the Delta Waterfowl blogger Tori McCormick

This guy is a genuine POS and ought to be shunned by every decent person on the planet. Guilty in IL and Guilty in Canada. For the sake of selling some calls and videos. Pure Trash.

Well,he is probably the kind of guy who would use a burning squirrel as an avatar pic.Besides the fines,he should be banned from hunting longer,and not ever allowed to sell films.

Just a rumor but I heard on one of his videos he shoots 4 shells at a goose flying across the screen. Apparently there is a way on the SBE to load 4 shells even with a plug... and it does not surprise me that this POS would know how... what a tool

tim grounds is another one he lost his hunting rights yrs ago and just got them back few yrs back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Curt JohnsonJust a rumor but I heard on one of his videos he shoots 4 shells at a goose flying across the screen. Apparently there is a way on the SBE to load 4 shells even with a plug... and it does not surprise me that this POS would know how... what a tool

The SBE isn't the only shotgun that you can do the 4 shell load with. And they should all be banned from waterfowl hunting until the problem is fixed.

Originally Posted By: WolferCOriginally Posted By: Curt JohnsonJust a rumor but I heard on one of his videos he shoots 4 shells at a goose flying across the screen. Apparently there is a way on the SBE to load 4 shells even with a plug... and it does not surprise me that this POS would know how... what a tool

The SBE isn't the only shotgun that you can do the 4 shell load with. And they should all be banned from waterfowl hunting until the problem is fixed.

I hear you just need to jb weld a spot on the gun to do it. Good thing is the wardens are getting wise to it and look to see if it's been done.

Originally Posted By: WolferCNo mods required!

On older models no mod needed. Ones from the last couple years I hear you need to mod it.

Went over to a friends to day and asked if I could try out the shotgun he won at the Ducks Unlimited banquet last year. I took it out in his back yard and with the factory plug installed loaded and fired 4 shells. You should have seen the look on his face. He watched me load and didn't even realize I had loaded 4 and he wanted to how I did it, I told him, "all I know is I've decided aginst getting one of these things, I'll keep shootin my twice barrel"

So the problem isn't fixed. Its all about money the gun company woud go bankrupt if they had recall and fix all the guns already in the hands of lawabiding sportsman. A lot of sportsman wouldn't buy those guns if they knew the feed system could be tricked. I discovered it by accident one day while shooting clays. I traded that gun for another O/U.
Would DU allow the Gunmaker to be a sponsor if they knew about it? Who knows? "Money and Politics"
A far as the Jeff Foiles thing goes I beleive that if he did the things he is accused of then he should be punished. But before we throw stones we should consider that in todays politicly correct world half of us could be convicted of animal cruelty in the right court with the right judge. The other half just haven't had it happen yet. But sooner or later if we hunt we're all going to make a bad shot and some poor animal is going to suffer and if the wrong person sees it we'll all read about it.

Remember pick your friends careflly and your hunting buddies more carefily. Just don't set your standards to high or you'll end up like me. I have 3 friends and hunt by myself.

These guys chasing money have ruined waterfowling.

Waterfowling used to be a niche of hunters who were dedicated to their sport and pursued it for the love of it. (I know that sound cliche, but you have to be one to understand).

These high profile guys made millions selling videos, over priced calls and chinese made decoys. These days if you go duck hunting on public land you'll encouter 5 other dummies out there who now consider themselves to be waterfowlers because they made a few trips to Bass Pro and bought all the crap these guys are selling.

Sad state of affairs gentleman.......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: potomacduckThese guys chasing money have ruined waterfowling.

Waterfowling used to be a niche of hunters who were dedicated to their aport and pursued it for the love of it. (I know that sound cliche, but you have to be one to understand).

These high profile guys made millions selling videos, over priced calls and chinese made decoys. These days if you go duck hunting on public land you'll encouter 5 other dummies out there who now consider themselves to be waterfowlers because they made a few trips to Bass Pro and bought all the crap these guys are selling.

I know what your saying. Both grandfathers, father and me kill or killed ducks. Been doing it since I was 10 and I'm 38 now. I have seen the changes. Going out in the morning to get some ducks. Going to be 19 deg with a 15-20 mph wind. Nothing else like it. No robo's needed for me to kill birds. Don't think some guys would know what to do with out them. Just give me a pump, a dog and some decoys and I'm as happy as someone can get.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WolferCWent over to a friends to day and asked if I could try out the shotgun he won at the Ducks Unlimited banquet last year. I took it out in his back yard and with the factory plug installed loaded and fired 4 shells. You should have seen the look on his face. He watched me load and didn't even realize I had loaded 4 and he wanted to how I did it, I told him, "all I know is I've decided aginst getting one of these things, I'll keep shootin my twice barrel"

So the problem isn't fixed. Its all about money the gun company woud go bankrupt if they had recall and fix all the guns already in the hands of lawabiding sportsman. A lot of sportsman wouldn't buy those guns if they knew the feed system could be tricked. I discovered it by accident one day while shooting clays. I traded that gun for another O/U.
Would DU allow the Gunmaker to be a sponsor if they knew about it? Who knows? "Money and Politics"
A far as the Jeff Foiles thing goes I beleive that if he did the things he is accused of then he should be punished. But before we throw stones we should consider that in todays politicly correct world half of us could be convicted of animal cruelty in the right court with the right judge. The other half just haven't had it happen yet. But sooner or later if we hunt we're all going to make a bad shot and some poor animal is going to suffer and if the wrong person sees it we'll all read about it.

Remember pick your friends careflly and your hunting buddies more carefily. Just don't set your standards to high or you'll end up like me. I have 3 friends and hunt by myself.

Hard to say when that gun was produced. I just heard on some waterfowling sights that guys need to mod the new ones. But I will just stay with my 870. Mud, water, snow, ice, extreme cold it will keep pumping shells through.

Only 3 friends myself. Good thing they duck and coyote hunt too.

Originally Posted By: potomacduckThese guys chasing money have ruined waterfowling.

Waterfowling used to be a niche of hunters who were dedicated to their sport and pursued it for the love of it. (I know that sound cliche, but you have to be one to understand).

I fully agree with the above Statement. I have been Hunting Waterfowl for over 50 Years, and have a hard time dealing with this New Breed of "SO CALLED WATERFOWLERS". They have Very Little if Any Respect for the Sport.

Last edited:
Back