Best factory coyote load .223 1:8 twist

newly

I have a RRA predator pursuit with a 16" heavy match barrel,with a twist of 1:8. Just wondering what some of you have luck with as far as factory loads for coyotes.55 gr. did not shoot real well at 100 yds.Should I try something heavier with that twist rate and will it be a good coyote load? thanks in advance

Welcome to the boards! You'll get some good info here from a the good folks.

Have you tried Hornady Superformance ammo? I've had good luck with it in .22-250 and decent results in .223. My .223 bbl twists are 1 in 8, 9 and 12 and they each shoot about an inch at a 100yds with the Superformance ammo.

Other folks have had great results with Black Hills ammo.

Are you target shooting or hunting?

Do you hand load?

Good luck!

bought the gun for coyote hunting mostly,maybe a little target shooting. For now I am going to stick with factory ammo,maybe do some reloading in the futher.

Remember this faster twist stabilizes heavier bullets better.

But you will have to shoot alot of different bullets till you find what the gun likes. I have a 1-8 20" that loves 55gr vmaxs. But hates 77gr hpbt sierras. Just start shooting diffreny loads. You see what the gun letters if the scope is zeroed just look for the best groups.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_855gr. is always a good place to start, there is hardly a twist rate that won't shoot 55gr.bullets.

+1... Favorite bullet for the .223 is a 55g sp for me. Either factor or the hornadys with a cannelure

I have had the best performance in My 1/8 twist Tikka with 40gr Vmax-Nosler Bt's or when I jump to 60gr Vmax. I mostly use H335 powder, maybe that is the reason? 50-55 grn shoot adequate but the 40 and 60 look better in My rifle. Good Luck

The Predator Pursuit 20" that I shoot loves anything that I have reloaded for it.

The best load that I did find for it was Hornady 68 gr HPBT. Under .5 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

My hunting pal and nephew, Yote Yoda, shoots the Hornady 53 grain superperformance in his JP 223. It groups super and is a coyote killing bullet. DRT performance out to 275 yards so far.

Originally Posted By: newlyI have a RRA predator pursuit with a 16" heavy match barrel,with a twist of 1:8. Just wondering what some of you have luck with as far as factory loads for coyotes.55 gr. did not shoot real well at 100 yds.Should I try something heavier with that twist rate and will it be a good coyote load? thanks in advance

My PP didn't shoot real well until I had put about 3 to 400 rounds through it. I reload using 55 and 60 grain bullets. I would use this time to get familiar with the rifle and trigger. What is your shooting setup (sights and shooting rest)? Don't worry, it will shoot good groups!

thanks for all the feedback ,sure helps to narrow things down a little. I had a 3x9 coyote special on it and could not get comfortable with the circles instead of crosshairs. Not sure what I am going to put on it yet,kind of interested in leupold vxr with the firedot.Does anyone know when the red dot is off that the crosshairs are the same as a standard scope?

anyone ever shoot the hornady tap fpd, in a 60 or 75 grain?? Was thinkin thats what I'd try in my predator pursuit when i finish it.

Originally Posted By: newlythanks for all the feedback ,sure helps to narrow things down a little. I had a 3x9 coyote special on it and could not get comfortable with the circles instead of crosshairs. Not sure what I am going to put on it yet,kind of interested in leupold vxr with the firedot.Does anyone know when the red dot is off that the crosshairs are the same as a standard scope?

Newly
I'm getting some really nice groups with Black Hills 5.56 77 gr SMK in my 1-8" twist Bushmaster Predator upper.

I have two VX-Rs. One is a duplex 3-9X40 and the other is a Firedot 4 3-9X50.
With the illumination off the reticles are just standard reticles.
I find the Leupold German #4 to be rather thick for small targets at 200 yards.

Winchester supreme in the black box has done well for me.What I shot was 62 grain I think.Have not bought factory in a while but killed a few hogs with the Winchester.

60 grain sierra varminter shoots well in my 9 twist ruger and shot equally well in a 12 twist ruger. I would also try the win 64 g PP and the 60 grain v max or nosler BT!

Back