Fur in the dirt despite the wind.

jcfd2201

Well despite the fact that it was going to be windy here in Northeastern Arizona myself and two of my good friends hit the field. The wind wasn't really bad for our first stand and we managed to call in a double. They came in fast and came to a sudden stop at about 150yds. The first in yote decide that it wanted to turn around and exit stage left. I decided that it was time to send a .70g .243 Sierra Blitking in the direction of the second yote that hadn't quite made up its mind. The lack of decisivenes ended up being a fatal mistake and it was DiRT (dead right there). The other yote instantly turned into a fur rocket and was gone before one of my buddys who actually saw them could squeeze off a round at it. First stand two called one down.

DSCN0136.jpg

We headed off to make another stand and quickly arrived a spot we had eyeballed before but never called. We actually broke out the video camera for this one. Randy started calling and within a few seconds I see a yote pop up over a little ridgeline at about 300 yards. He is sitting there and not even thinking about coming in yet. I tell Tony there's a yote and he starts working on getting it on video. I squeek the yote and he perks up a bit and turns broad side. I guess my squeek got Randy's attention and he saw the yote now. Tony gives me the go ahead to take the shot as he has it on the video. I clicked my safety off and heard BOOM and the yote bolts. Randy had taken the shot and the yote spun a 180 and hit missile mode over the ridge it popped up from. We continued to call and not even a minute later we have yote coming in on the downwind side which happens to be mine since I shoot lefty. I pick him up in the sage brush and Tony swings the camera around. I waited as long as I could for Tony to get him on video and had to take the shot as he was seconds away from busting us. I launched a round and the dog hit the dirt where it stood. Two stands down and two yotes down.

DSCN0139.jpg

I wish I could say the rest of the day was as good as the first two stands but the wind kicked up and pretty much literally blew the rest of the day to dust. Regardless of the lack of more fur hitting the dirt it was a good time with great friends. Tony and I will be back at it in the AM but this time taking my 17yo son with us. He is quite the caller using diagphram calls so hopefully he will do some calling and get a yote with his new rifle. Keeping my fingers crossed that the wind stays away tomorrow.

Back