best rimfire for coyotes

SC, I agree with everything you just said.
I wasn't directing my comments toward you or anyone in particular.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone has the right to speak their
minds regardless of how many coyotes they've killed or not killed.

How many coyotes have to get shot and run
before one of these newbies understands either he took a shot
that was to far for his rimfire or he needs a to work on his
shooting skills required to use it.

I think you're going to find the above happens regardless of
caliber being used. Lots of things fall into play. Ability,
training, caliber, to much coffee before the shot, watched to
many hunting shows where they shoot to long of distance at running
coyotes, to many beers the night before. Who knows.

I try not to judge anyone but dang, some comments just make me nervous.

Now now, boys. I step away for a couple days and things just go to pot. Basically we're talking about a comparison of 3 very similar cartridges when it comes to energy and a target that's a bit to big and tough for all three. It's not like any of them is light years ahead of the others. All of them compared to the smallest, weakest centerfires aren't even in the same league.

To make a comparison, asking which rimfire is best for coyotes is like if the .250 savage, .22-250 or .243 is better for elk. All will kill an Elk and a fine shooter/hunter can, will and probably has filled his bag every year with one above those. But to tout any of them as a good Elk cartridge is not a good idea.

Good hunting and stay safe, CB

First a disclaimer....I haven't shot 100 coyotes, kissed Jennifer Lopez or arm wrestled Chuck Norris...Or even Chuck Hawks for that matter so my thoughts don't count for much, but here I go anyway....

I looked up the ballistics for 22 mags and I found that a 40 grain slug has about 325 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle....

I looked up the 30/30...when using a 150 grain bullet it generates 1737 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle....

Few dispute the fact that the 30/30 is a stone cold killer on deer when placed properly from the muzzle out to 150 yards....If we said the average deer shot with a 30/30 was 170 pounds, we could point to the ballistics chart and say that the foot pounds of energy that a 30/30 generates at the muzzle is roughly 10 times the average weight of the animals it kills cleanly....

If we apply this same logic to the 22 mag you could make the case that within the proper range and with proper placement that the 22 is appropriate for game that weighs 10% of the energy the cartridge generates at the muzzle...If the muzzle energy is 325 foot pounds, that would point to an animal weighing 32.5 pounds....That weight range would include both coyotes and bobcats...

Shot placement and not stretching the range would seem to be the keys to successfully using a 22 mag, just as the same factors are key when using a 30/30 for deer....

Originally Posted By: RJM Acres

How many coyotes have to get shot and run
before one of these newbies understands either he took a shot
that was to far for his rimfire or he needs a to work on his
shooting skills required to use it.

I think you're going to find the above happens regardless of
caliber being used. Lots of things fall into play. Ability,
training, caliber, to much coffee before the shot, watched to
many hunting shows where they shoot to long of distance at running
coyotes, to many beers the night before. Who knows.

I saw this short video the other night. This happens to be a young boy using a 22lr and it sounds as though this was his very first coyote. You could easily substitute a 40 year old novice/newbie/rookie/beginner/virgin or whatever else you wanna call somebody that is brand spankin new to shooting coyotes for the young boy and the outcome would likely be the same.

I truly believe it is human nature to shoot at the biggest part of an animal simply because it's the easiest part to hit. I feel this is especially true with new/young hunters. I think that's exactly what happened in this video. Dad outta be embarrassed he didn't explain to junior exactly where he should be placing a 22lr bullet on a coyote. Or maybe he did, but in the excitement of it all the boy shot at what was the easiest place to hit. Which is EASY to do. Either way, if the kid would of been using a CF, Dad wouldn't need to be playing clean up shooter and I'm sure the kid would of felt a lot better.

Rimfire in the hands of an experienced, disciplined shooter will get it done. But probably gonna have to pass on a lot of shots that a CF guy won't. Which is OK. That's more for me.
smile.gif

Watch the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G2tbF8I7Jw&feature=youtu.be

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: Cal KelloggI haven't shot 100 coyotes, kissed Jennifer Lopez or arm wrestled Chuck Norris

You're a real slacker.

Doggin, You're Tier 1 if you've managed to kill 100 coyotes, kissed Chuck Norris, and arm wrestled JLo, all with only 6000 posts.

I don't need to see the pics......

Say you don't happen to know where a fellow could pick up some 43 pellet #4 buck do you? It's what the Amish used to rid western Pennsylvania of their coyote plague. No pics of that either. (They're Amish you know!)

Remember folks, the OP is talking about regulated rimfire only areas. The only tool in the toolbox beyond 50 yards or so is a rimfire.

I didn't see anything wrong with the video that can't be fixed. The kid now has more experience than he did the day before. I'm sure the father will have the boy killing coyotes before long and posting pics.

Best post of the thread IMO:

Originally Posted By: ackleymanSmitht144 said he could not use #4 buckshot, however you should look in to lead BB's and #2 shot in 3" 12ga.

I have killed quite a few yotes with a 22 Mag with Winchester 40g HP. My longest shot has been about 125 yards, with a facing bang flop. I use a 4x-12x and place my shot, knowing that a shot behind the diaphram will result in a lost dog.

Bullet choice is of a major consideration in the 22 mag and avoid any poly tip bullets because you will loose animals with super fast expanding bullets. You need a bullet that will penetrate. My Ruger and Mauser 210 would not shoot the Federal 50g.

The 22 Mag 40g Winchester HP will shoot a hole through a coyote's shoulder blade and also break the spine. The Dynapoint is a tough bullet but beware that it is a copper plated lead bullet and will lead the barrel.

5mm Rim fire magnum beats the 22 mag but at a high price tag.

You should reserve judgement till you have hit 5-10 coyotes with a particular type of bullet to see what happens when you hit a rib, shoulder, and quartering angles at various angles...don't be too quick to judge.

Running shots are another whole can of worms.

That post has good info. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Cal KelloggIf I were kissing JLo you can bet the farm their would be pics and video....HA...

And a bunch of "Attaboys" from my friends and divorce papers from my wife....

Obviously none of us are out hunting and are here worthlessly running our post counts up. The wind is hurricane force like here this morning. What's the best excuse the rest of ya can come up with?

You couldn't pay me to go out hunting coyotes today.
Winds blowing hard and the woods are full of deer hunters.
It's the opening day of firearms deer season.

Working hard. I have Sun-Tue off, thats when I do my hunting and shooting. I do my bragging when I actually kill somthing and run my post count up when I dont.

Last edited:
I i don't post much, but i like to argue . everybody is talking about the 22 mag and runners out of almost all the videos you watch that are edited. how many runners are cut out of the videos? if you make gut shots with almost any caliper you will have runners. the 22 rimfire as killed more game than any other caliper

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresYou couldn't pay me to go out hunting coyotes today.
Winds blowing hard and the woods are full of deer hunters.
It's the opening day of firearms deer season.

Excellent conditions for getting the post count up! Work those lil hillbilly fingers to the nubbins RJ. Day like this outta be good for 25 to 50 posts.

smile.gif

If'n I would paid better attention in math classes at school I could sit here and figure my approx post to coyote kill ratio.

Pay attention in school kids!

Originally Posted By: doylerI i don't post much, but i like to argue . the 22 rimfire as killed more game than any other caliper

Doubt you'll get much argument there. Only a fool would dispute that.

A grammar cop may come along and point out a few spelling/grammar errors though.
smile.gif

Way to windy here in S.E. New Mexico today. It was beautiful all week long too. Looks like it's gonna blow again tomorrow, might try for a bit early in the am.

Well, last post for a while (please, nobody cry).

Wife and I are gonna go see *Jack and Jill*. Supposed to be pretty funny. I KNOW the popcorn will be good.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: doylerI i don't post much, but i like to argue . everybody is talking about the 22 mag and runners out of almost all the videos you watch that are edited. how many runners are cut out of the videos? if you make gut shots with almost any caliper you will have runners. the 22 rimfire as killed more game than any other caliper

lol.gif
When did Rimfires come in Calipers
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes

Excellent conditions for getting the post count up! Work those lil hillbilly fingers to the nubbins RJ. Day like this outta be good for 25 to 50 posts.

smile.gif

If'n I would paid better attention in math classes at school I could sit here and figure my approx post to coyote kill ratio.

Pay attention in school kids!

Nah, I had to go outside and do some chores.
Acorns falling out of tall trees combined with 40mph wind gusts kind
of sting a bit when they hit you.

I used to do a bit of night calling in michigan and it is rimfire shotgun only at night there. I used the 22 mag in a 10/22mag with 40gr winchester JHP and never had a problem with both fox and coyotes. A few years later I used a 17 hmr with equal success and when it comes to a dedicated fox rifle I don' think you can find a better one than the 17 HMR.

I only shot one animal over 100 yards while night calling and that was a red fox with the 17 HMR. About 125-130 yards facing shot, bang flop, bullet hit it right in the center of the chest and didn't exit. Never had such little pelt damage as I did with that 17HMR.

I had a fairly intense standoff with a pissed off momma moose one time with nothing other than the 17 HMR in my hands. I would have definitely preferred a 12 ga in that situation. Luckily I was able to talk her out of doing me any permanent damage.

Last edited:
Back