Forster Benchrest Seater Die vs Ultra Micrometer Seater Die

BlueDevil

Hey everyone!

I am totally new to reloading, but have reloaded thousands of shotshells in the past. I recently acquired a brand new Bonanza (not Forster) Co-Ax. I'm not in any rush to start loading (hopefully by spring) but would like to start acquiring the necessities.

I am looking for dies and would primarily be loading 22-250 for a Tikka T3 mainly for coyotes. I would like to stay with Forster dies and money is a non-issue.

I'm thinking of getting the full length sizing die but not quite 100% sure on the seating die. I'm leaning towards the micrometer. Can anyone give me some advice on the two? Thanks for your help!
smile.gif

I'm pretty new to reloading myself but big difference I can see is the micrometer model you can precisely dial in the depth you want VS loosening a nut and moving a little at a time till its right, ya know. I'm sure you will get a few more answers from guys with experience with the forester dies.

That's a great choice you made on Reloading Press. I have the same one and a cabinet full of Bonanza Benchrest dies.
thumbup1.gif

You might want to consider the Ultra Micrometer Seater because if you load several bullet types for the 22-250 and you need each over all length to be a certain length, then it's easier to do with the Ultra Seater. Having numbers to dial to is quicker than backing the seater stem off and starting from scratch each time you change to a different bullet style.

Save a ton of time & ammo, & headaches and get a redding micro seater. HORNADY bullet seating depth gauge & ur done. Safer in my book too!

Originally Posted By: SShooterZHow is the Redding going to be better than the Forster.

Just curious.

I'm curious too.
huh.gif

Originally Posted By: K22Originally Posted By: SShooterZHow is the Redding going to be better than the Forster.

Just curious.

I'm curious too.
huh.gif

Me three!

Me too? I know they cost more. They are cut bigger in their dimensions, (that's straight from Redding) but are they any more accurate in their machining? Better in design? Finished better?

Originally Posted By: 243kimberSave a ton of time & ammo, & headaches and get a redding micro seater. HORNADY bullet seating depth gauge & ur done. Safer in my book too!

I have done runout measurements on ammo loaded with Redding
dies and Forster Benchrest/Ultra dies, and my micrometer
often measures less runout on Forster dies. I stopped buying
Redding dies about 5 years ago, and where I can get Forster
Ultra(micrometer adjust)(not available in all cartridges), I buy
them, and buy Forster Benchrest dies where I can't get Ultras.
YMMV

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: K22
You might want to consider the Ultra Micrometer Seater because if you load several bullet types for the 22-250 and you need each over all length to be a certain length, then it's easier to do with the Ultra Seater. Having numbers to dial to is quicker than backing the seater stem off and starting from scratch each time you change to a different bullet style.

Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner!
The Benchrest dies work fine when you load the same bullet and never change the seating depth.

The threads per inch on the seater stem on the Forester is a fine pitch thread at 27 threads per inch. 27 threads per inch equals .037 per 1 complete revolution of the screw.

So, 1/4 turn of the seater stem equals roughly .009, 1/8 turn equals roughly .005. Needless to say, with a little practice, you will easily be able to adjust your bullet seating depth to the 0.001 without a micrometer top. Micrometer tops are great if you can afford them.

Bonanza/forester dies are top notch and I do also have Redding and RCBS competition dies.

Forester offers a very extensive line of die modification at very reasonable pricing, that not many are aware of.

I must admit that I love tinkering, love gadgets. In order to utilize the full potential of a bullet seating die, proper tools to establish seating depth to the lands is a must. I prefer the split case neck method and Davidson Ogive gages to establish seating depth to the .001.

If you love your dies, then the Hornady die rings are the cat's meow.

I have a couple of Micrometer seating dies, one in Forster and one in Redding.. I love em both.. These dies also align the bullet straighter than regular dies.. I can allso as noted above, use different bullets and repeat the seating depth with an adjustment.

I have been reloading for over 40 years. And my reloading bench has a plethera of different reloading dies on my shelf.

IMO the Forster is the best bang for the buck reloading die you can buy.

I have also realized the least amount of runout while using the Forster seating die, versus any other brand.

Personally I do not see any real benefit to the micrometer die. And I have several on the shelf. I simply have not used the micrometer to any real advantage.

Now I need to also say that I buy a separate shell holder and die for every rifle that I reload for. And yes I have duplicates. However if you do not use the same shell holder then trying to return to a micrometer setting is a waste of time with a different shell holder.

Also wouldn't you also have to buy a separate sizing die as well if you load for two different rifles?? I certainly use a separate sizer for each rifle, and adjust my sizer to each chamber. IMO the sizing die is every bit as important as the seating die. Tom.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD

Personally I do not see any real benefit to the micrometer die. And I have several on the shelf. I simply have not used the micrometer to any real advantage.

Now I need to also say that I buy a separate shell holder and die for every rifle that I reload for. And yes I have duplicates. However if you do not use the same shell holder then trying to return to a micrometer setting is a waste of time with a different shell holder.

Also wouldn't you also have to buy a separate sizing die as well if you load for two different rifles?? I certainly use a separate sizer for each rifle, and adjust my sizer to each chamber. IMO the sizing die is every bit as important as the seating die. Tom.

I have done and in situations still do the same thing as Tom posted. For instance, If a bullet has a cannelure I will give it a light crimp, so that die is setup that way. I then use another die setup not to crimp for loading bullets that don't have a cannelure. But as far as using one shellholder and die for one rifle and another shellholder and die for a different rifle, that just doesn't workout well when using a Bananza/Forster Co-ax press. They use a totally different style of shellholder.
Quote:The threads per inch on the seater stem on the Forester is a fine pitch thread at 27 threads per inch. 27 threads per inch equals .037 per 1 complete revolution of the screw.

So, 1/4 turn of the seater stem equals roughly .009, 1/8 turn equals roughly .005. Needless to say, with a little practice, you will easily be able to adjust your bullet seating depth to the 0.001 without a micrometer top. Micrometer tops are great if you can afford them.

This is what I've learned to do also, but is still a pain when developing loads for the same caliber/rifle using 2 or 3 different weights of bullets. I know, I know, do one at a time. But my range is just outside my door, so I test load several bullet styles at one time.
When loading small bullets like 17 calibers and 20 calibers, which I shoot a lot of, those Bananza/Forster Benchrest Seater dies are real finger pincher savers.
scared.gif
thumbup.gif

Even developing loads they help in moving to the lands or away from with
bullet seating depths. I started buying the Forster micrometer dies for my last two sets and love them. I was already hooked on Forster.

Well I went ahead and ordered the Forster full length sizer and the micrometer dies in 22-250. Thanks a lot for all the responses! Muchly appreciated!
smile.gif

Last edited:
In my opinion, you made a smart choice. I got hooked on Bananza/Forster a long time ago and I've never regretted it. Superb quality and customer service is great.

Enjoy those dies.
thumbup.gif

I hope you read my reply on the AR forum & called Forster to see if the micrometer seater would fit in your co-ax press. There is not much clearance under the handle in a co-ax, and the micrometer top may make the die too "tall" to work in your press.

Back