ALASKA HUNTERS !

Dogman

Just trying to touch base with some of you all. I think season opens on 1 Sep. I'm out of Anchorage and trying to find a good spot to go. So without giving away your secret hunting spots,any ideas?? Also I wouldn't mind trying to arrange a meeting to talk with some of you in person and sharing some hunting stories of what works and what hasn't been as good.

------------------

UNITE!!
biggrin.gif

I'd love to help, BUT...IF I had any secret areas, I'd be getting more dogs
smile.gif
Without being overly vague, I've seen the most dogs in the summer, and out in the valley...in the winter I think they either get REAL smart, or Real dead
smile.gif
The valley is alot of private land
frown.gif
I do want to go out and do alot more stands this year. Set up a routine and get a little better flow, so I get more animals. I wish I could find a snowshoe call, I know sceercy makes them, but kinda expensive, we've been using a sceercy jackrabbit (really course like the snowshoe), and a howler...I think I suck at howling though, I just can't get it to sound right, and when I do get a responce, it's just barks...and in my experience, when they bark to any call, they aren't coming in
frown.gif

I've been trying now for a couple of years to get some critters.As you know we don't have the road system like Outside and because of that I think the coyotes up in the Valley are very educated and unless you have a snowmachine your hunting in my opinion is very limited. So I bought a snowmachine,a Wildlife Technologies caller and a decoy heart. Last year as you know we didn't get snow till January and I left for Texas for training shortly thereafterI hope this year turns out better. Still would like to meet some of you all. Take Care

------------------

Originally posted by Dogman:
Just trying to touch base with some of you all. I think season opens on 1 Sep. I'm out of Anchorage and trying to find a good spot to go. So without giving away your secret hunting spots,any ideas?? Also I wouldn't mind trying to arrange a meeting to talk with some of you in person and sharing some hunting stories of what works and what hasn't been as good.

Dogman . . .

Give me an email at: [url=mailto:cas@alaska.net

Originally posted by BadMedicine:
UNITE!!
biggrin.gif

I'd love to help, BUT...IF I had any secret areas, I'd be getting more dogs
smile.gif
Without being overly vague, I've seen the most dogs in the summer, and out in the valley...in the winter I think they either get REAL smart, or Real dead
smile.gif
The valley is alot of private land
frown.gif
I do want to go out and do alot more stands this year. Set up a routine and get a little better flow, so I get more animals. I wish I could find a snowshoe call, I know sceercy makes them, but kinda expensive, we've been using a sceercy jackrabbit (really course like the snowshoe), and a howler...I think I suck at howling though, I just can't get it to sound right, and when I do get a responce, it's just barks...and in my experience, when they bark to any call, they aren't coming in
frown.gif

Badmedicine . . .

I think you're right about the Valley Coyotes, altho there are some here. Lots more fox, mostly Cross fox.

Zap me an email at: [url=mailto:cas@alaska.net

No secret spots here. I managed to call in a few last winter, but due to the close in brush never got a shot off. Matter fact they all came from my up wind side as I was facing down wind too. So much for logic.

I to wouldn't mind getting together. Even a weekend hunt would be nice. I still do the snow shoe thing though.

tcw@gci.net

Dogman

Can't help you with the area around Los Anchorage but here in the Interior there are lots of places available that contain wolf, fox & lynx. You can pretty much hunt predators anywhere except Native land but for predators they sometimes allow trespass. I have permission for a 750,000 acre place. Especially with the wolf/bear problems they want them thinned. You have unit 13 near you. Lots of stuff there with easy access. I was in there this last weekend. There are lots of places to hunt predators but you just haven't been out enough to find them. Got to get out. And snoeshoes do work! And are great for working off the road system. A sno go is nice but not required. Heck as stated I was in 13 this past weekend and in 11 also. No shortage of places or sign. Plan to go back to 11 when they fur up & hunt the Park out of Chitna for wolf. Tons of them there and the season is open now for them.

Also the coyotes here in Alaska tend to respond slowly. Longer stands seemed to be required as experienced by the the guys on the Eastern board in their areas.

Badmedicine - get the Screecy snowshoe call. Plus his AP6. Great coyote caller that AP6. Great for locating, drwaing them in, etc. Very flexible call. The jack also works well which you already have. Get them they are worth the price. You will not be sorry.

I probably won't seriously begin hunting until the critters fur up plus I do have to wait for lynx to open. So will just moose, sheep & bou hunt but will still be scouting and noting predator locations.

John/Alaska,
How long do you typically wait on a stand for coyote,lynx,wolf,fox? I have a Wildlife Technologies caller,was wondering if you the fella Bill Martz was talking about who hunted in the park doing predation control. Any helpful hints you could pass this way will be appreciated.Do I contact the Native Corporation or is it individuals I get the permission from to hunt the Native land? I hunted up near Mount Fairplay last year,seen lots of sign just not seeing the animals???
Take Care,
Dogman

------------------

Dogman -

No the guy with the WT caller is Coyote Slayer. He spends several months going after wolves and whatever over on the White. I use strictly hand calls. He was on Posse Country but hasn't wondered here yet. He does hang out on another big game board. He checks in when he is out of the Bush.

Mt Fairplay is wolf country. There are at least 6 packs operating in that area near there. It is one of my favorite huants. Nice fox too. The wolves around there are real skitess. Lots of caribou & moose hunters hunt around there and the wolves if they hear your vehicle are gone! Real tough place to sneak into. A buddy of mine called in a pack of 13 wolves there one year. Nine of them came right up to him. The other three hung back. The closes was within 10 feet before they winded him and took off.

As far as Native land goes contact the local Tribal office. There are different ownership & control arrangements between the village corps and regional corps. A few are entities unto themselves. All they can do is say no or quote you a trespass fee. They are usually high priced on moose and such but may consider a lessor or no fee for wolves. But really there is a lot of none private or native land available that is not called. We have tons of native land here but also there is lots of public land plus the all Federal stuff. My arrangement is left over from the days that I ran trespass & issued permits and was basically the reservations land manager for a spell.

You guys in the Los Anchorage area have a great resource there for getting wolf sounds/vocalizations and information about the animal. There is a place called Wolf Song by the 5th ave mall I believe its on the 5th ave side but can't remember my streets there. Its a wolf lovers place but they have great photos, displays, books, etc. Just don't tell them why you want the information.

Back