best choke tube for Mossberg 835

COYKILL

I currently am using a Patternmaster choke tube with the Hevi shot Dead coyote 3" T shot and wondering if a different brand would give me better patterns for my Mossberg 835 12 ga. It is patterning good but if I can get it better than I am for it. Kicks, Trulock anyone with this gun have suggestions. I know every gun is going to be different with different tubes but if I can improve it it will be worth it.

Carlson's Dead Coyote tube works great in my 835.
P2130207.jpg

I think you can always improve....But I'm using that Primos Dead Dog Choke and with the Hevy Shot Dead Coyote...I'm money to at least 50....

I ordered three from George at Trulock's and the howler from Kicks so when I pattern them I'll see if one is better than the Patternmaster. I am getting 8 to 12 hits in a 10" cicle at 40 yards using the dead coyote T shot. I know that is enough to kill something but more is better.

Originally Posted By: beaglerCarlson's Dead Coyote tube works great in my 835.
P2130207.jpg

+1 for the Dead coyote choke.

I'm not much into paying for high $$ for shotgun shells. A standard modified choke and #4 buckshot gives me an average of 21 pellets in a 10" circle at 45 yards. That is out of 41 pellets in the #4 round in my 835

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: carsonwildHey mntcat that's awsome I want to see a pic of that. It would be cool to see a good pattern like that.
I'll have to see if I still have the last pattern board that I shot out in the shop or not. Really need to get out and do some range time so this will give me an excuse
smile.gif

I like GC's post, since his advice helped my pattern.
"He's probably right, the Mossberg 835 has that huge overbore 10 gauge sized barrel of .775" diameter. I found in my testing that somewhere between .050" - .065" of constriction seemed to be a sweet spot for the denser than lead tungsten shot of BB and T size, along with plated lead No. Four Buck. For the Mossberg 835 that would be a choke of between .710" - .725", so it would seem you are moving in the right direction. The .695" choke was giving a massive .080" constriction - way too much IMHO."

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...285#Post1772285

I know this is an older thread but there are a couple newer things I want to try.

I’ll start by saying I didn’t like the kicks Chokes or modified, or factory Xfactor choke. Not with any buckshot and especially not with any hevishot. Hevishot is expensive and not worth the hype.

I keep the Carlson’s dead coyote choke on hand but have tried several other in addition to the others I mentioned. The best patterns I’ve managed have been with the heavier than lead Winchester B but they don’t make that anymore. I have just a few of those left. The Carlson’s works well enough with #4 buck so I have some of those too.

But there are a couple more recent things I want to check out, the new trulock predator choke and the Winchester VarmintX 3” BB. I have some of the Winchester which uses the same shotlock as the Longbeard ammo and it looks decent in the Carlson’s but I really want to try that trulock with it.

Has anyone tried these yet?

Back