Footholds for coyote/fox

verg

Can someone give me advice on a foothold trap to use for coyotes? I do some calling and have occasional success but have always wanted to try to trap a few coyotes. Is there an ethical, trustworthy foothold style trap that I could experiment with?
thanks

There are all kinds of traps at different price points available. For the recreational trapper, like myself, I'm pleased with the Duke 4x4 traps. Size 4 with 4 springs. There are better traps out there, but that's pretty much what I run and they work just fine for me. That size is probably major overkill for fox. I focus just on coyotes for training my dogs. I'm sure there are those on here with more experience in the fox arena that could answer ya.

Hope that helps.

Tony

Originally Posted By: vergCan someone give me advice on a foothold trap to use for coyotes? I do some calling and have occasional success but have always wanted to try to trap a few coyotes. Is there an ethical, trustworthy foothold style trap that I could experiment with?
thanks

Yes there is !!! You get what you pay for the old saying is.. Your best traps on the market is Minnesota trapline products.. in short terms, the MB-650 is a trust worthy guarantee catch and hold trap for yotes/cats... They're are ready straight out of the box know adjusting know modification..

here's a dbl. catch with MB-550 & MB-650.. both trap is top of the line..

24oal5g.jpg

eu5401.jpg

I'm going to agree with Chilson, 650's are a little rough for foxes, although i do use them for coyotes. for grey's and red's i always use my victor 1.75, they are more than big enough and i haven't lost one yet. i was loosing coyotes earlier in the season, but it was due to pan tension (thanks again Chilson for your advise). i stick with my duke #3 which i have 4 coiled for coyotes with a 4-5 pound pan tension. i also inherited some Montgomery dogless #4's which are just killer traps for coyotes, but aren't made anymore.

thank you for the advice fellas. I will research them all.
Do they come with a manual or instructions so I can learn proper usage? I have a few areas that coyotes run and I try to call them and do get a few here and there. Not looking to start a trap line, maybe just place a few out here and there and see what happens. Just really have no idea how to use or set one but would like to learn.
thanks again.

verg traps dont come with intructions but there are anarray of books for basic trap prepaeration and adjustment i reccomenf you get one or a good video south dakota has some fo the fnest trappers i would look up your state trapping association and speak to one of its members i am shure one would be very happy to meet you and help you get started. the information we have today is useful and it never used to be there take advantage of it. and good luck

charlie dobbins has some very good books on trap adjustment

Yea I know a 650 would be an over kill for fox. but he said his target was yotes so that's the reason I recomended the 650, or even the 550.. Verg jump over on www.trapperman.com you can reaserch alot of info. on that site, good people over there as well.. good luck with your catches..

np insult intended okie i beleive youre a good guy and have good info but his post sayes coyotes/fox
trapperman is good but one has got to learn to use a bullchit filter. just like here.

Originally Posted By: Chilsonnp insult intended okie i beleive youre a good guy and have good info but his post sayes coyotes/fox
trapperman is good but one has got to learn to use a bullchit filter. just like here.

Oh none taking at all. I seen he put as his topic Coyote/fox.. But then he asked coyote in his first post. so I just figured he was now thinking of targeting yotes more than the fox. yea the 650 is more of a large game trap Verg. We don't have many foxes in our woods around here just in the city suburbs mostly.. Our yote population is BAD here and keep the foxes killed off. So I just run the bigger traps with know worry of catching a fox since there's none here.. LOL.. Yall have a good trapping season and lets see them pics..

I use Duke 1.75's and 2's for selected fox sets. For dedicated coyote and bobcat sets I'll go with my #3 Montana dogless.

I just caught my first bobcat of the season tonight, with a #2.

For fox and coyote a fully modified Bridger #2, Me almost all mine are fully modified #3 Bridger. 1/4" round rod laminated offset jaws, four coiled, base plated, stop shock spring in 18-24" chain. Steel screen pan covers with 3# of pan tension. I have at least 2-3 times had them run over by big fertilizer spreaders, all I had to do was straighten the spring levers and check it over good.

I gave the MB550's a try last season and really like them. They are definitely all I'll ever need for coyotes or anything else. The 550's to me are really to much for greys, but its hard to keep them outta my yote sets.

call me an old fogy but I still like my old #3 victor longsprings...LOL
Not to say they are anywhere near the best but do get the job done.
Buying new I would(like most mentioned) stick in the 1.75 size range (whatever manufacture you decide to go with) to catch both fox and yotes.

TS

Last edited:
I generally don't set anything smaller than a #3. Now I will say that I do have about 1 dozen #2's that I do like to use for blind trail set's.(disturbs less ground than the #3's)

I have caught alot of red fox in my #3 fully modified Montanas, MB 650's, and #3 Bridgers without any broken legs or paw damage. (once I figure out how to post pics I'll prove it.

I don't know why with todays fur market going strong any one would want to chance a power out by a coyote, a toe catch or a complete pattern miss with the smaller traps.

MODIFY MODIFY MODIFY!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will never be disappointed with the kill area and power of a bigger trap.

Just my opinion. Fire away!

Originally Posted By: DustyCI generally don't set anything smaller than a #3. Now I will say that I do have about 1 dozen #2's that I do like to use for blind trail set's.(disturbs less ground than the #3's)

I have caught alot of red fox in my #3 fully modified Montanas, MB 650's, and #3 Bridgers without any broken legs or paw damage. (once I figure out how to post pics I'll prove it.

I don't know why with todays fur market going strong any one would want to chance a power out by a coyote, a toe catch or a complete pattern miss with the smaller traps.

MODIFY MODIFY MODIFY!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will never be disappointed with the kill area and power of a bigger trap.

Just my opinion. Fire away!

dusty i use alot of fully modified traps as well and i tend to agree with ya i use smaller traps on fox due due we have mostly grey fox who are very touchy on there brittle feet thats why i suggest the smaller trap i use thm ehenever possible on greys. toadsticker the #3 and four vic longspring has held alot of coyotes cats and fox for me i agree with you on that i like that trap it may seem outdated to some but it is a coyote holding sucker that i beleive truely shines on drags it also does not have to throw as much dirt or area in a bed as a coilspring which seems to help it from freezing down as bad and when you bed one it is rock solid im a big fan of that trap and will be for a long tme i would one day again like to modify some more or find more of them or the livestock protection 3.5s with the texas jaws they are wider then most laminated jaws however and very expensive. tactical i shure am a big fan of the #2 bridger i see your an o goreman student from a few posts of yours craig shure knows his traps that bridger is an excelent trap i tend to stick with the dogless montgomerys and montanas i also like the round jaw #2 fully modifed as well it has helped me trap in the cows and sheet and keep calves out i just like the roundjaw desighn as well. i am certainly glad the fur prices are ging up again it shure is nice i just hope gas doesnt go up t bad to counter it

If I set strictly for fox I would probably use a #2. I know alot of #2's and smaller have held alot of bigger animals(coyotes and bobcats). I just like the larger kill area and the ability of the #3 full mods to brake through the frozen crust that we get.

I am not a yote guy by any means. And this is just my second season to chase fox. I use #2 dls and #2 jumps. Both traps have held my fox fine and every yote that has stepped in the trap has been waiting for me.

Originally Posted By: DustyCIf I set strictly for fox I would probably use a #2. I know alot of #2's and smaller have held alot of bigger animals(coyotes and bobcats). I just like the larger kill area and the ability of the #3 full mods to brake through the frozen crust that we get.

i agree with the #2 dusty thats for shure

Back