Disappointed in Hornady SST 20 gauge slugs

digger658

Bought a H&R ultra slug gun in 20 gauge to hunt Ft. Knox a week from saturday. Went to the range today to sight it in with the Hornady SST slug and man was I disappointed. These thing flew all over the place. No pattern what so ever.

Scope and mounts were good and tight and rest was solid. This gun flat doesn't like them. Switch to the cheap Winchester rifled slugs and at least got a 9" group out of them at 100yards. Don't like it but maybe that's the best this gun will shoot.

I don't know. Any suggestions.

I didn't have luck with them out of my US either. Mine shot Remington Accu-tips the best, followed closely by the Federal with the Barnes tipped expanders.

I was not impressed with the accu-tips performance. The Barnes kill well, so I'll give up the minimal loss of accuracy for them.

ETA: 3" in both the Rem's and Fed's

Last edited:
Digger, I have 2 H&R ultra sluggers 20 gauges both shoot very very well, BUT neither of them like any slug going over 1500FPS, If it were me Id try lightfields and buckhammers those are the slugs that my H&R's like best, just my 2 cents

I have hear great things about Lightfields and Accu Tips ....I have found a lot of big money slugs that shoot like a house on fire but did not kill worth beans...I now only shoot my own Lyman 525gr Sabot slugs hard cast and lubed ...2" at a 100 and two shots and two dead deer yesterday and Monday!....can't see why the 20ga version would not work for you and it would save you a ton of money!!...I love being able to go to the range and shoot 25-30 Sabots for training and it not cost $100+
Copyof1107011657a.jpg

1108010907a.jpg

I am shooting the plain old graybox 2.75 inch ones, I tried the 3 inchers but I dont need anything past 100yards so I stick with the 2.75 inch lightfields and buckhammers.

both are under 10 bucks a box at in my neck of the woods, I have to admit you have me looking for a lyman sabot mold for the 20 gauge slugs now...

casting and loading your own is not for the masses but I love it and feel a sence of accomplishemt from rolling my own and then rolling something with them lol

as a side note I have shot the SST's out of my savage and my Mossberg 500 and they both gave me 1.5-1.75" at 100 and I have killed deer with them but some times with a great shot they are DRT and some times not...I shot one 2 times in
the lungs and it just stood there!...then it ran about 400 yards across a bean field where my bud shot at it and missed it ...darn thing turned 180 and almost ran me over and I shot it ...again dead center in the chest it stopped and stood there while I scrambled more shells out of my pocket as I closed the bolt on a fresh round it flopped over
my friend yelling in the back ground (don't trust it shot it 4 more times in the head to make sure) I was laughing so hard and shaking so bad that that deer could have got up and bit me to death and I would have been unable to defend myself!

Originally Posted By: Jonathan I shot one 2 times in
the lungs and it just stood there!...then it ran about 400 yards across a bean field it ... !
unsure.gif

did you have powder in them there hulls???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: borkon
Jonathan said:
I shot one 2 times in
the lungs and it just stood there!...then it ran about 400 yards across a bean field it ... !
unsure.gif

did you have powder in them there hulls??? [/quote
I did and they were pass througs but you had to realy hunt to find an entrence or exit hole on the broadside shots and I saw a small trickel of blood come out of the chest shot!
but yes they were most defenatly full powder full house factory rounds!

Man I have the H&R in 12 ga. have shot copper solids in it for several years and every deer i hit has dropped in its tracks.
And remember you need sabots not rifled slugs in that H&R. I would think you could do better than 9 inches.

I believe its your scope dancing around on you i had that happen to me on a sluggun once i put the scope on a 223 and havent had any problems with it i put a new scope on the sluggun and it shot great.

Originally Posted By: lowtempguruboth are under 10 bucks a box at in my neck of the woods, I have to admit you have me looking for a lyman sabot mold for the 20 gauge slugs now...

Your finding lightfields for under 10 buck?

Back