scope rings for JC Higgins .22

sdbullfighter

hey guys im pretty new to here but i have an old JC Higgins Model 30 (i believe) .22lr. It has a 1/4' groove on the receiver and im having a heck of a time finding 1' rings that will fit the smaller groove. So i figgured id ask on here and maybe you guys could help me out a little bit.

Are you sure it's a 1/4' groove and not 3/8'? 3/8 grooves are the standard on .22.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SolrSearchResults.aspx?site=All+Products&num=15&q=3%2f8++rings

Yes it is a 1/4". Its a JC Higgins sold by sears way back in the day. I have seen a few people on other forms having the same problem but cant seem to find any solutions to it.

Doing this all over again, my first post crashed. I went off on a tangent searching for one of these guns, after digging for answers, and I found one!

First off - Owners Manual if you don't have one downloaded yet... http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/jchiggins_30.pdf

Hard Copy if you don't like free... http://rstmanuals.ecrater.com/p/12483811/jc-higgins-model-30-factory-instruction

A few suggestions here on mount... http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/general-rifle/117739-jc-higgins-model-30-groved-reiever-mount.html

Thread here... http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-258415.html

Contains this post...

Quote:I have a J.C. Higgins Mod. 31. As for the scope rings, I bought a set of 22 cal. rings from Sportsman Guide and filed them down so they would clamp down tight. Worked great. I know it's not keeping it original but, a 3-9X40 scope is really sweet on it.

I also found another post suggesting that it is an "11mm groove".

Not sure which is correct but, all threads elude to the same odd sized scope groove, on all JC Higgins 22 rifles.

At one point it was suggested that Mosberg was the manufacturer, but I found at least a dozen different references stating they were made by High Standard.

Everyone says they are great shooters, but they're getting some age on them and a few folks are encountering minor problems.

Personally, I think the guy quoted above with the regular 1" 22 mounts and filing them to fit is probably the easiest solution, I'm not finding any reference to available parts. But, I'd say the Dremel tool with the drum sander attachment, duct taped to a match box car, with the mount set up on a stack of playing cards so you can add minute increments as necessary, while rolling the dremel back and forth, would be almost machine shop like. (o;?

Nawww... just use a good sharp file and keep your strokes smooth and level. You should be able to measure the difference in that mount and a standard 22 mount and know how much to take off.

Hopefully some of that helps because, seriously... I did inquire about one. It's a cool gun! I gotta git me one of them!!

yes sir all the research i have done on it says its a High Standard made rifle, but no one really has a solution to mounting a scope. I think i might try the leapuld see through rings but in the event i try to file down a normal mount where would i be filing? I know it might be a stupid question but i guess im not seeing where to file that would make it smaller to fit the groove. Thank you for the help though its greatly appriciated!!!

Nevermind it finally dawned on me where you would file it off. Sometimes it takes me a little while to process the info just had to study some scope rings for a little bit to figgure it out!

I'd think that the screws on the mount might have to be shortened a little too. The holes in the mounts may be drilled and tapped deep enough to take that much off, but I'm thinking you're subject to bottom the screws out before it gets tight.

I don't know if they can help but High Standard is still in biz in TX someplace and they may know how to find the originals.

sdbullfighter,,, I think you will find that the scope grooves are 3/8" (11mm).. There are some adapters made that work on the 3/8" rail that allow the adaption of standard 1" rings..

I use them on my Sig Trailside .22 handgun to mount the red dot optic...

SigTrailside-22lrr.jpg

Originally Posted By: skb2706I don't know if they can help but High Standard is still in biz in TX someplace and they may know how to find the originals.

www.highstandard.com

5151 Mitchelldale, Suite B-11
Houston, Texas 77092

1-800-272-7816

Accesories page isn't loaded on their website, you'll have to call or e-mail.

Also cool to see that they bought out Interarms, since I have an Interarms 22.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43You might try a set of millet angle/loc 22 rings. I have used them on a CZ 452FS that are supposed to be 11mm.

I have a JCH Model 31 and it has Milletts on it......

SDbullfighter, I do have a set of old 1" rings for the 11mm rail... PM me with your address and I'll send them..They've been camo'd I think.. But it should come off easily..

If you want really solid adapters, look at THESE ...They are the same ones that I used on my .22 pistol

Big thanks to all you guys for the help!! I was beginning to think i wasnt ever going to find anything. OldTurtle a PM was sent your way thank you its greatly appriciated.

Hi all,
New member here reviving an old thread for myself and future readers.

I've researched this subject a few times but have never followed thru and found a set of 1" rings for this rifle.

I own a couple model 30's and also have two original scopes with mounts.
The old scopes work fine but I'd like to mount a better optic.
The rifles were made by High Standard for Sears for their JC Higgins line.
They are very accurate for a semi-auto.

The dovetail IS a unique size.
Smaller than 3/8" and definitely smaller than 11mm.
Using calipers, I measured the dovetail on the receiver. Narrow point was .314 (appx. 5/16") and wide was .362 (appx. 23/64").

After reading this thread, I'm going to look for a set of Millett Angle-Loc Windage rings and see how they mount.

Here are a few pictures showing the original scope, mount, etc.

Regards, Ken

069.jpg

068.jpg

060.jpg

DSC_2835.jpg

DSC_2838.jpg

Last edited:
Back