Any good load recipes 70gr/.223?

Spurred Hunter

Was wondering if anyone might have a pet load using 70 gr Speer soft points, currently have 3 powder choices; Tac, H-380, or Blc-2, need to work up a load to use for deer as my brother traded his 270 for part of the repair cost of a transmission replacement! We have two guns available to expirement with, a savage predator, and a rock river AR, both having 1/9 twist barrels. Any ideas ponting in the right direction would be appreciated!

That particular bullet has gone straight out of all of my guns regardless of how I push it. My data is for Varget so all I can tell you is you shouldn't have to do a lot of development to find something that works. I have used this bullet on coyotes for years out of my RRA coyote rifle and I really like it's dependable performance on game. It sheads velocity quick though. Past 200 out of a .223 it drops pretty quick. Good luck.

Speer manual #11 lists this for their 70 grain Semi-Spitzer bullet in the .223 Remington:

Winchester 748: Starting Load = 25.0 gr; Max Load = 27.0 grains
IMR 4198: " = 18.5 gr; Max Load = 20.5 grains
BLC-2: " = 21.5 gr; Max Load = 23.5 grains
H380: " = 26.0 gr; Max Load = 28.0 grains

The rifle used to develop this data was a Ruger Mini 14 with 1x10 twist, Winchester cases, and CCI 400 and 450 primers (450 primers were used for all the BLC-2 and H380 loads).

This manual is a great addition to a reloading library; you may find one at a gun show [1987 printing]

Last edited:
Curious, Hodgdon lists 24.5 starting and 26.5 as max for Blc-2? anybody got a cross reference for this? Thinking that the savage bolt action could hold up under more pressure than the mini 14, but don't want to push the issue any either?

Is the Hodgdon load with the same 70 gr. Speer bullet and for a bolt action? Is it with the same brand cases you plan on using?

If so, start at the Hodgdon starting load and work up, in .25 grain increments, observing cases for pressure .

I would also presume the bolt action can handle a "bit" more than what is a safe load in the Mini 14; but that is your task to safely determine how much more.....

My RRA Predator Pursuit is 1-8 twist and Speer 70gr and 24-26 gr Varget loads all shoot less than MOA. Best load has been 24grs Varget, .344 5 shot group, 2610fps.

If I take it deer hunting this year this is the bullet I'll use at 100 yards or less.

Last edited:
I shoot 25 grns of A 2520 with my 70 grn Bergers and 69 grn Sierra's out of my Rock River.

Last edited:
Back