DIY Predator calls

TNYotehntr

Well I got talking to dogcatcher after seeing his post explaining to the fella that asked about call bodies... I can't remember how it all happened, but we both decided to do a little for fun tutorial on how to make a call... He's doing an enclosed reed call, and I'll be doing the open reed... His may be prettier but in real life I'm the better looking.
smile.gif
We decided no lathes the only power tools used were a drill press, and I used a scroll saw... Well here we go...

Step 1..cut a blank that is long enough for your barrel and your toneboard...decide how long the toneboard will be and mark your lines for length and width...

tutorial-23.jpg

Drill out the bore of the barrel and drill out the air channel I think I used about 1/4" for the air channel.

tutorial-24.gif

tutorial-25.jpg

I used a roll of masking tape for my ramp... just landed it a little above center at the barrel and a little below the entrance of the air channel. Really just did this by eye.. no set dimensions.
tutorial-26.jpg

I used a scroll saw to cut out the ramp then cut along all the toneboard lines to remove the obvious extra wood.
tutorial-27.jpg

tutorial-30.jpg

I went a little to high and ended up with some excess to cut and file away.. no big deal just more time.
tutorial-31.jpg

sanding the ramp and filing out the air channel
tutorial-33.jpg

tutorial-36.jpg

I carved and filed a while to round off the corners, the sanded them some what smooth.

tutorial-37.jpg

Did the "shoe shine boy" thing on the back of the ramp to round it off...

tutorial-38.jpg

Worked better than I expected..

tutorial-38a.jpg

Grabbed a milk jug to use for a reed, cut it to fit over the air channel.. wider will make the pitch lower, narrower will make it higher pitched. For length it should pass the end of the air channel by about 1/32".

tutorial-39.jpg

Here's the finished product.. it's no beauty, but I have no doubt it'll call a coyote in... give it a listen... just CLICK HERE

tutorial-43.jpg

Here is my version of a closed reed using only a drill press and hand tools. I used 3 drill bits, a knife, some files and sandpaper on a 3.25" long piece of wood.

001_640x480-1.jpg

Drilling out the call body, first drill with a 9/32" bit, then open up the mouth piece end, this can be with a 1/2" or 3/8" bit, drill down aboput 3/8" of an inch.

002_640x480-1.jpg

This shows the mouth piece end of the call, 3/8" diameter opening to where the reed sleeve will set.

003_640x480.jpg

Now flip the call body over and drill out the exhaust. the blank is 3 3/8" long, the mouth end opening took up 3/8", the sleeve will take up 1" so I drilled out the exhaust 2"

006_640x480.jpg

I mark my location for the lanyard groove. The knife, the files and the hacksaw blade are the main tools I will use to make the rest of the call.

007_640x480.jpg

I have filed the lanyard groove and used my knife to knock off the corners of the call.

008_640x480.jpg

Using the files I start to round off the call body.

009_640x480.jpg

To keep from filing my fingers and hand, I stick a steel rod in the exhaust end and mount it in a vise, and continue using my files to shape the call body.

010_640x480.jpg

I have shaped the call to my satisfaction, this is just a basic call. I also rounded out the lanyard groove using the dowel and piece of sandpaper to get it to look better than the squared off look the file left.

013_640x480.jpg

Now I do my magic, I eyeball it and decide where I need to cut grooves in the body to add a little class to it. I cut 4 around the mouth piece end and then cut 3 on the main part of the call body going in one direction and another in the other direction to give the call a simple checkered look. I start with a slight cut of the wood out with a knife before sanding it smooth. This is no time for an OOPs, mistakes can cause big problems.

015_640x480.jpg

016_640x480.jpg

This call was officially confiscated by my granddaughter before all of the coats of the finish were applied.

This is a great thread. Both calls turned out awesome. This should go up as a sticky here. Great info for folks trying to make calls without all the expensive tools. All of Brads scroll saw work could be done with a small hand scroll(can't remember what they are called)
Thanks guys!

Good job gentelmen! Threads like this are always welcome and it is sharing of ideas that make Predator Masters the great site it is!! Thumbs up!!

Trashcan
DCC

Not always, I make some of my own reeds and no sleeve is required or even available. For the JC reeds, a sleeve is one to go, the other option is one of the rubber bushings that Huts supplies with the reed. The sleeves are tapered, that helps keep it secure, and the rubber bushing is a tight fit. Both method work, the choice is usually based on design of the call and the callmaker. The last choice with a JC reed is no sleeve or rubber bushinng, but you lose the safety factor they serve.

Do a little research, there are You Tube videos on how to turn calls, there are several forums, and ask questions. There are no real secrets, if you look hard enough there are all kinds of answers.

Few things to remember, if the sound sounds good to you, it sounds good to a predator. There is no "perfect" sound, people keep searching for it, but it doesn't exist, there are only good sounds and great sounds and both put a lot of fur on the ground. If you don't believe it, read some of the threads started by newbies and their kills on their first hunt. It cannot all be luck.

made my first call tonight it turned out pretty good. I made it the way the open reed call was done in the first post. I left it at my shop waiting for the coat of poly to dry I'll add a pic tommorow sometime. GREAT post thanks for the info gonna do some more when I get some spare time I'm always looking for new projects.

You made my night buddy! I can't wait to see what you've come up with!
smile.gif
If you have any trouble with the reed just ask away! Either here or through pm. About the most important thing is the length.. cover the air channel by about 1/32" if you make it to short it'll just die on you.. to long the sound will be muffled.

This is the great thing about PM. Sharing advice and helping new folks get started. I had a TON of help when I started. I have spent countless hours on the phone with some of the best callmakers in the world.(all here I might add) I think I have had some hearing damage from my calls with Tony Tebbe though.
Dogcatcher has gave some great advice too.
Like was said, just ask away with questions. We are all here to help

Can't wait to see the new call killa! The best feeling in the world is when you go and call in a critter with a call you made!

Last edited:
Back