Mountain Lion/Coyote Caliber For Ranch Predation

BUTCHER45

What caliber would you predator hunters' suggest for a dedicated Mountain Lion/Coyote rifle? I'm thinking a short action like .243.....but open to hear the case plead for long action cartridges such as the 25-06, .270, etc if that's what it takes to put them down hard and consistent.

This isn't going to be a fur rifle....just need a "DRT" rifle that will drop M/L decisively with proper shot placement for this job. I do not want to have to track a Mountain Lion into the doghair that is the Oregon Coastal Range.

I have the .45 bigbore airgun for short-range sport hunting/fur (.45 hole in, .45 hole out really ain't all that bad).

Thanks in advance.

The 243 would do it but if you dont care about the fur and want them DRT then step up to the 270. Depending on the range you are talking though, the 243 should be enough.

The .243 would do it, but my favorite has always been the .25-06. Heavier bullets available and I bet it will put whatever you need down with one shot.

To be honest I'd rather use the 06 for a ML.

Last edited:
Any cartridge .22 centerfire or bigger will do it, but if you are not worried about fur, then bigger is definitely more reliable as far as wind etc. A 25-06 would be a good pick as I don't think short-action is a necessity. A 7mm-08, 260, .308 or .243 are all good choices for short-action. Whatever rifle you can find that fits you well and has good availability of ammo as I assume you do not reload.

Back