Recovery work (pics)

TonyTebbe

I received a phone call from my neighbor this morning. The coyotes were howling like crazy at my house last night, and apparently his as well. He shot a coyote that was in his horse trap around Midnight. He said it ran off and wanted to know if I could come do some recovery work with the dogs.

It was 8am and loaded up Gunner and Crook. Crook is a lanky, young BMC that I've been training for Richard Payne. I never attempted a recovery that was 8 hours old, but thought I'd give the dogs a chance.

The point of impact was right where he described to me. Good blood and knocked the crap out of him....literally.
karsenshot1.jpg

karsenshot2.jpg

The dogs got a good snoot full of the impact area, marked their territory. It didn't take 2-3 minutes for Gunner and Crook to find the coyote. They picked the track up and followed it like a string. It had gone a couple hundred yards and laid up in a bush.

crookrecover2.jpg

crookrecovery5.jpg

Posing with their prize.
crookrecover3.jpg

I loaded up the coyote, gave them some good pats on the head, then we went and checked traps. I was proud of them, working a track that old and finding it.
crookrecover1.jpg

Gunner loaded right up, but Crook stood there scanning for coyotes. Thought I'd snap one more photo of him.
crookrecovery8.jpg

Thought I'd share.

Tony

A paddock near his house for catching the horses up, when they come in from the big pastures. He shot from his back door in his skivvies, as a pair of coyotes were raising cane at his dogs. He has already lost every farm cat from the coyotes this fall.

Tony

Trapline isn't going so well. Had one come into a set, but no go on pan. Setup 3 traps and a snare on the trails leading to a new dead cow on the "tanerite ranch".

Oh, me and my nephew have been covering lots of ground getting permission to call and trap, got the green lite on over 1000 acres and haunt scratched the surface. Looking like its gonna be a good year.

Man, Tony, please don't post anymore pics of that country 'til it starts raining and growing back. That is hard for a stockman to look at. Just kiddin' about posting pictures, but those shots really show how tough your country is right now.

Hey Tony;
Good looking pictures,Ole Crook looks like he's going to make it.I do so enjoy seeing the pictures and I'll be honest the blooder the better as far as I'm concerned.The more hunter instinct and recovery drive a dog has the better.I do think he is getting his confidence and to be learning his purpose.Now it seems he is honing his skills with Gunner as the teacher with your leadership.I don't post much on here due to the fact I've been taught to say exactly what I mean and most of the time it will ruffle some feathers.I won't sugar down my wording much.But what I will say is Crook from what I see making a outstanging hunting partner with the drive it takes to put the fur down.Look forward to seeing you soon.It almost my time of the year to stop working and the hunting to begin.We will have a cold one or two next month.Until then keep the hair and blood flying.
Richard Payne

Back