Browning BLR can shoot!

Eric2381

Hello,

I've got two Browning BLR rifles. One is an '81 lightweight with the straight stock, 22-250. My brother has it right now, and I don't think he'll give it up. I just recently bought a pistol grip lightweight BLR, 243 win. I bought this rifle to keep in the truck for dual purpose deer/predator(coyote and wolf) rifle.

I tried one handload recipe thru it today, and I'm done doing load work for my predator load.

photo-57.jpg

100 yards. 243 Winchester. Federal brass. 58Gr Hornady Vmax. Rem 9.5 primer. 43gr. Hogdon Varget.

Winchester factory 100gr. PP grouped in at 1/2" too. Same elevation at 100 yards, but 1.5" right.

I moved the Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33 over to make the rifle hit where I want, and it's ready to rock some yotes!

The 22-250 shot well, but I didn't do much for load work up in it either. First load I tried shot 5 under 3/4" at 100. That was good enough and I made up 100 rounds and handed it to my younger brother. He's been slaying yotes with it since then.

Yeah, those rifles can shoot.
I used to hunt with a fellow with a bad back and a BLR in 22-250 is all he used for deer and hogs for the low recoil. He would neck shoot deer and hogs out to 300 yards with ease.

Shayne

I only tried a few different 22-250 handloads in this BLR-81 and the best was just under 1.0 inch at 100 meters. I think it could have done better, but it was only mine to use while I was restoring it.

BrowningBLR22-250.jpg
100_0224.jpg
100_0232.jpg

That is a pretty rifle. I shot a .243 for years and shot many minute or less groups. I sure do not like the trigger/hammer fall, though. My father-in-law has a 22-250 that is a good shooter also. I had my trigger worked on and still did not really like it.

I have 2 'Light-weight' BLRs that are fairly new to me(then a BL-22). One is a mint 308 & the other a 7mm-08. The 7mm-08 has an issue with light primer strikes. The receiver screws have been out with a previous owner, trigger lighter than the other, firing 40% or so. I have a trip to MO this week & may just bring the 7mm-08 to the Browning service center in Arnold, MO on my way. I just want it put back to original specs, even if the trigger is harder.

Once I get it up to speed I may just leave it go with the irons sites a while.

Some of them sure have nice wood.

The trigger was heavy and creepy on my 243. I replaced the spring with a lighter one and it really helped. I need to pull it apart again and polish the sears.

For a truck gun, I might just leave it as is though.

Mine is a pretty rifle. It's a shame that I've set it to a hard life in the truck, but it's got a job to do.

My dad and I both have older steel frame BLR 81' rifles with .308 Winchester chambers. Both will go slightly sub-MOA with good handloads and attention paid to the trigger pull. Pretty slick little rifles all in all.

I bought my BLR 81 for calling coyotes in brush country. I shot gobs of coyotes with it and it was really fast. The best that I ever did with it was seven coyotes at one stand using an electric caller. I went through three clips of ammo. I used 70-grain SX Hornady bullets at 2300 fps. They had virtually no recoil and slammed the coyotes with little damage.

I have a BLR lightning in .308 with the pistol grip style stock. I've never had another rifle that matched it in terms of handling and feel. It comes right up to my shoulder like it was meant to be there. That said, now that I've experienced some higher end triggers, the trigger on it is pretty bad. It has a long travel and there is a bit of a jerky feel to it.

Back