best rimfire for coyotes

smitht144

Hello guys.. just seeing what all the pros would choose if they could only use RIMfires I took the class today to hunt on ft chaffey In ft Smith Arkansas and u can only use rimfire and shotguns I am guessing the 17 is going to get a lot of votes !!!!

Last edited:
Oh boy, the flood gates will open here
I would stick with the 12 ga. and use the 22 mag if ya have NO other option and they are under 50 yards

Originally Posted By: crowpopperOh boy, the flood gates will open here
I would stick with the 12 ga. and use the 22 mag if ya have NO other option and they are under 50 yards

I agree.

I'd use the 12 guage with some #4 buckshot. IMO best and rimfire is an oxymoron when talking about coyotes. The 22mag and keeping shots to 50yds or less, if you have to. I just don't like runners. Good luck with your hunt!

Leave the 17 at home, coyotes arent impressed with it.

22mag at 50 yards with ba 49 grainer or a 12ga slinging no. 4 buck

22 mag is getting a lot of votes I figured the 17 would be getting them I don't have either one but will be looking at some

20 gr (1.3 g) 2,350 ft/s (720 m/s) 250 ft·lbf (340 J)

40 gr (2.6 g) JHP 1,910 ft/s (580 m/s) 324 ft·lbf (439 J)

You do the math. 22 mag is slower sure, but it's a bigger bullet that has quite a bit more horsepower behind it.

Either of two things need to happen:

The ammo companies could wake up ..... likely Aguilla in Mexico:

http://www.ammo-one.com/25-STEVENS-LONG-R-F.html

And bring this gem back!

OR

The States with arcane regulations could catch up with the 21st century and CHANGE THEIR LAWS with respect to modern centerfire bullets and their inherent safety with the correct construction.

The reality is that the correct CF slug is MUCH safer than a .22 solid of .223 or .224" diameter. when it comes to richocettes!!

Back to the OP question:

My favorite is the TEN ga. with FOUR buck. IT hurts on both ends!

Second would be the .22 mag at close range. Chose your bullets wisely!

Three 44s

IMO 12 gauge with 4 buck is the only choice here.Nothing against the .22 mag or other rimfires but coyotes are tough little beggars.

Arkansas Game and Fish does allow centerfire, so I would guess the rimfire thing is from Fort Chaffe only.

But Arkansas says NO to #4 Buck unless a Modern Gun Deer season is open. If not deer season, T shot at the largest

So, I would say 22mag, and shotgun, preferably 10 or 12ga with the largest legal shot.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: crowpopperOh boy, the flood gates will open here

Thats they way I would go too.

my dad use to shoot them in the head while they followed his tractor in the field with his 22 long rifle. And always had one shot kills. Of course they were all within 25 yards.

Back