Need help, gut shot a deer * Found him! Pics on page 2*

Bryan8

About 10 mins before dusk, I had a nice buck walk out 20 yards broadside. Drew back when to squeeze the trigger and something happened and my release like hung up and it sent my arrow to the left. thack, gut shot....

I hit him he took off running trail straight out, and then stoped and has been standing in the same spot for a little over an hour. as least thats when it got too dark to see. I think hes right around were i last saw him.

He was a nice buck, i dont want to lose him.

Any info on gut shot deer? Will it kill him? I planed on waiting till midnight or so and getting down from my stand to look.

I have a beagle that ive tracked deer with before on leash.

Any help, im sitting in the tree still

~Bryan

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chunks7mmif you can and its cool,let him sit over night

thats what i would do too if possible. when he was standing there what was he doing? was he standing alert, was his head hung down, etc?

if you dont push him, and he lays down, hopefully he will stiffen up and not move again and die right there.

Sorry to hear that Bryan, that sucks, hopefully it works out for ya

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsOriginally Posted By: chunks7mmif you can and its cool,let him sit over night

thats what i would do too if possible. when he was standing there what was he doing? was he standing alert, was his head hung down, etc?

if you dont push him, and he lays down, hopefully he will stiffen up and not move again and die right there.

Sorry to hear that Bryan, that sucks, hopefully it works out for ya

+1 dont push him and he will probably be there or real close in the morning.

Well its almost midnight, im still in my tree.

Im going to climb down and get a flashlight and look for my arrow.

Would 6 or so hours be enought for a gut shot deer? Hopefully I cliped the liver or something.

I just know I wont be able to sleep tonight if I dont look. Also Im not sure how long the scent will stay around for my dog to find if i need to use her.

~Bryan

contact via laptop or smartphone ???? this will help in advice....lol....!!!! I would love to hunt in the east....seems so easy....

It was with a g5 striker, and im on my iphone.

I found blood about 40 yards from where I shot him. It started out slow but is picking up now.

I had to turn back to get another jacket, and im going back out at 2:30

Bryan, leave him alone till daybreak.. really!!!. go in VERY QUITE. bring your bow and be ready for a follow up shot. good luck. don't bring a dog untill needed.

Originally Posted By: Bryan8
He was a nice buck, i dont want to lose him.

~Bryan

Your asking for help,so you don't lose him ?

You shoud REALLY listen to what the guys are saying here !!!!

If you had left him alone and went home for the night,you might have got some sleep and found it after daylight !

I sure hope it works out.

Headed for my stand in a couple mins.

Originally Posted By: Jeff Erwinmost gut shot deer will head for water, so if theres water in the area, head that way. and did ya find him yet????????? +1

Originally Posted By: chunks7mmOriginally Posted By: Jeff Erwinmost gut shot deer will head for water, so if theres water in the area, head that way. and did ya find him yet????????? +1

Yeah, they ain't to smart. They outta be heading for a good surgeon.

Well? We need the latest news.

Back